Jump to content
Louis Friend

2018 NFL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Yup. I personally see us dealing or cutting Abdullah, signing a bigger, more proven RB and then also drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd. Riddick stays in his specialized role. He has shown he should get 5-7 carries though. 

I just don't see value in having a guy like Abdullah as your 3rd RB. There would be a team that would be willing to offer a mid-round pick for him. He's young and is a former 2nd round pick. Someone would expect to be able to coach up a guy like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Vea makes a lot of sense for us. I think DL is almost assuredly the pick in the first. RB in the 2nd probably. Then BPA.

I'd love to know who this 2nd round rb is... that's still to high imo to be drafting a rb...plus I don't see much drop off from the backs that can be had later most likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't see Davis thriving with a guy like Hurst on the line. We have a quick dt and doesn't seem to help..idk I'd be looking for a guy with some size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I just don't see value in having a guy like Abdullah as your 3rd RB. There would be a team that would be willing to offer a mid-round pick for him. He's young and is a former 2nd round pick. Someone would expect to be able to coach up a guy like that.

The Cards were lusting after him in the draft, and they might want a guy they liked to back up David Johnson in case he gets hurt again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly - I have a tough time seeing the Lions trading within the conference. The Cards have a lot of pieces where they should bounce back rather quickly. A reliable QB, return of David Johnson, PP and Mathieu, Fitz has to be a vampire or something.. he's productive no matter how old he is.. they'd have to be in the running for a playoff spot with that kind of talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 1:31 PM, Karnage84 said:

I just don't see value in having a guy like Abdullah as your 3rd RB. There would be a team that would be willing to offer a mid-round pick for him. He's young and is a former 2nd round pick. Someone would expect to be able to coach up a guy like that.

How is there not value in that???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 4:41 PM, Rockcity2 said:

I just can't see Davis thriving with a guy like Hurst on the line. We have a quick dt and doesn't seem to help..idk I'd be looking for a guy with some size. 

As long as you're making your blocker pay attention to you and not the LBs, your job is done. Devin Bush seemed ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2017 at 9:49 AM, Karnage84 said:

Possibly - I have a tough time seeing the Lions trading within the conference. The Cards have a lot of pieces where they should bounce back rather quickly. A reliable QB, return of David Johnson, PP and Mathieu, Fitz has to be a vampire or something.. he's productive no matter how old he is.. they'd have to be in the running for a playoff spot with that kind of talent.

Within the entire conference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:47 PM, Nastradamus said:

How is there not value in that???

Because he's not that good of a RB. We already have a guy on the roster in Riddick that does what Abdullah does, arguably better. He also has fumbling issues, which was a part of his profile coming into the league. That hasn't gone away. There's a reason that he has been benched and/or relegated to spot duty the last couple weeks. He's far from getting the job done. I'd rather trade him to a team that feels they can coach him up. If someone thinks they can get the player that was drafted in the 2nd round, all power to them. I just don't expect him to ever be that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:48 PM, Nastradamus said:

Within the entire conference?

I'd prefer to keep former players out of conference barring compensation, etc. There's less risk of trading a guy to an AFC team or vice versa. There's a possibility you might see them in the regular season but you're only really directly impacted if you make it to the SB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd prefer to keep former players out of conference barring compensation, etc. There's less risk of trading a guy to an AFC team or vice versa. There's a possibility you might see them in the regular season but you're only really directly impacted if you make it to the SB.

Even when it comes to Abdullah? We're not talking about Brett Favre going to the Vikings. Abdullah's more than likely a backup, especially when traded to a team like the Cards with a superstar already in house. Even if we play them in the regular season and the playoffs, his impact will be minimal. Not worth missing out on the compensation imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Even when it comes to Abdullah? We're not talking about Brett Favre going to the Vikings. Abdullah's more than likely a backup, especially when traded to a team like the Cards with a superstar already in house. Even if we play them in the regular season and the playoffs, his impact will be minimal. Not worth missing out on the compensation imo.

That's what I said - barring compensation, my preference is to trade out of conference. If we have offers of equal or similar value then I'd prefer to trade him to an AFC team. If the difference is a 6th or 7th as opposed to a 5th.. then I would be open to a team like the Cards (as suggested). Not a hard and fast rule just a general preference. I agree, Abdullah isn't Brett Favre. I'd also like to not get totally burned by a player that we have deemed to not fit the team and are moving on from.

It's just hedging bets. He was still a 2nd round pick. The guy showed something at the time to warrant the selection. Either we misevaluated the talent or failed to coach him up properly. He has shown some flashes of being a productive player but would be better as a complimentary player than a feature back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 11:49 AM, Nastradamus said:

He was the most dominant defensive player in the nation this year. I think people will underestimate him due to his size not being special,l but he will dominate for a long time. Grady Jarrett is a solid comp. 

Grady Jarrett didn't go in rd one either...

Please tell me how Hurst will "dominate"

Ton of his game is timing.. I'm wrong a lot but I don't see a dominate player 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you guys think of Shaqueem Griffin? He is the UCF LB with one hand. He balled out at the Senior Bowl and showed he belongs. Where do you think he'll be drafted (or if he'll be drafted)? Would you want to see him in Detroit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×