Jimmy Garoppolo

Elky

We've seen plenty of QBs come back from injuries like that and take a long time to shake off the rust and get back to completely trusting their body.  It very well could just be that.

I've just always kinda held some reservations about how good Jimmy G really is...from before the injury though.  Even while he was looking "good" with the Niners, he had a strong whiff of that "System QB" thing around him.  Being schemed into some favourable and flattering situations.  Not that he didn't execute that system very well during that span, and to various extent...everyone's a "system QB".  But there's a curve to it and he always just felt like he came down a bit more on the "product of the system" side for me.  A guy like Mullens coming out of absolutely nowhere and looking pretty competent in that same "system" really didn't help dissuade me from that perception.

Would make for an interesting situation if he doesn't manage to shape up and look like a long-term QB answer, or at least an expert system executing QB for that franchise though.

I don't know all that much about Jimmy G other than the one game of his I watched when the Vikings played the 49ers in week 1 last season.  The Vikings won, but I still came away from that game thinking that the 49ers were a playoff caliber team and that Jimmy was more than capable of getting them there.  It's hard to make much of a judgment of any player coming back from a season ending injury.  It's just the preseason so about all you can do is hope his rehab/recovery can continue and that he will return to the level he was at before he was injured.  If he can do that, he should be a good QB for his team.

20 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Did Jimmy Garappolo used to pick on you at school? Did he sleep with your wife? You seem to have a bizarrely personal stake in this.

I reckon he thought he had a chance with that Mia whatshername. Until big Jim got in there B|

On 8/20/2019 at 8:04 AM, Elky said:

As we all know, Jimmy G has been a major disapointment since returning from his knee injury; he threw 5 straight interceptions in practice and was brutal against Denver.

Do you think it's rust or is there something seriously wrong with him?

I mean, there's a reason practice and preseason don't "count".

On 8/20/2019 at 1:30 PM, AkronsWitness said:

I think it all stems back to people thinking (myself included) that he got paid a ungodly amount of money for essentially nothing. And now he looks bad so it makes his payday look even worse.

His cap hit is less than 20 million this season and is the 16th highest paid QB in the league this year 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

He was overpaid last year, the niners had like 80 million in cap space and front loaded the contract so that we can have flexibility down the road. 

The first two years of his contract were basically two years of the franchise tag plus 10 million. 

Next year he will make 25 million, and we can cut him this off-season and pay him nothing. 

The niners basically paid him an extra 10-15 million in year 1 to save themselves 20-30 million later while also being able to cut him after 2 seasons and pay him nothing. 

The book is still out on him. He has flashed for sure. He has the fastest release in the NFL and is super accurate. That is a great combination. 

His mechanics were out of whack the other day, I expect him to have better footwork. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, patman said:

And when you read this in a couple of months, what do other poster think about thier football acumen?

I'm numb to it. Really, I am.

The worst is actually when someone gets something RIGHT. You never hear the end of it.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dll2000 said:

So which is it?  He gets time to come back from injury win or lose in 2019 or if loses he is cut in 2020 for cap savings?

I don't think he will be cut either way, but the niners have the ability to cut him after this season, and after every subsequent off-season until his contract expires and pay him nothing 

It's basically the same contract we gave Kaepernick, except front loaded instead of back loaded.