Practice News & Notes

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

#Raiders LB Cory Littleton, on his "hot and cold" plays: "Only thing I can do is do what's coached to me and try to put on the best performance I can. So far, it hasn't been great."

Aka our coaching is a joke. 

He's not wrong.  If PG isn't putting him in a position to make plays... He's going to fail.  Littleton is good.  Not transcendent.  

40 minutes ago, Totty said:

Not arguing that.  I think Abram was 23 of those 19 missed tackles.  Lol.  But he's dealing with a bum shoulder as well. 

I am not to sure how the determine a missed tackle but if your coaches have players out of position that can also lead to more missed tackles.  Bad coaching can also lead to players not giving their full effort just like 2017.  If your players do not respect the coaches it is going to be a long year and Guenther needs to go asap.  As far as the Patriots game goes the players looked bad but after the 1st half it also looked like BB made adjustments and we did not.  Overall a game I would like to forget and hope the team learns from.  I would say the Patriots game was 1/3 Guenther's fault and 2/3 on the players+injuries.  At the same time the defense played amazing in the 1st quarter.

21 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

#Raiders LB Cory Littleton, on his "hot and cold" plays: "Only thing I can do is do what's coached to me and try to put on the best performance I can. So far, it hasn't been great."

Aka our coaching is a joke. 

I said it in the other thread, we've had 6 high profile defensive FA's that have signed here in their prime coming off of career years and then fallen off. 

5 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I'm not a big fan of Guenther and I wish the Raiders fire him and get Rex Ryan but the patriot game was 100% on the players.

You saw so many miss tackles and over pursuit it was ridiculous.

How much of that over pursuit was due to bad play calling and guys being out of position? 

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Who is out of position? 

Only player out of position IMO is Littleton.  He played some MIKE vs Pats but has mainly been a SAM.  I think he’s more of a WILL in a 4-3.  That’s not a major out of position thing.... at all.  

I think NYRaider meant the players are playing their correct positions but throughout the play are putting themselves out of position to make tackles and plays.... they’re not doing their correct assignment or aren’t breaking down correctly to make the tackle.

50 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Only player out of position IMO is Littleton.  He played some MIKE vs Pats but has mainly been a SAM.  I think he’s more of a WILL in a 4-3.  That’s not a major out of position thing.... at all.  

I think NYRaider meant the players are playing their correct positions but throughout the play are putting themselves out of position to make tackles and plays.... they’re not doing their correct assignment or aren’t breaking down correctly to make the tackle.

So is that the coaches fault? 

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I said it in the other thread, we've had 6 high profile defensive FA's that have signed here in their prime coming off of career years and then fallen off. 

I’d call Littleton and Joyner a high profile FA but the rest are guys who are ascending but simply average starters.  Kwiatkoski at least was an exciting signing because he projects to be developing moderately still.  But Collins+Nassib did come off career years but even those years weren’t anything special.  

What was everyone’s first impression of the Nassib signing?  Answer: “Should be a big improvement taking over Josh Mauro’s role”.  He’s not an elite FA.... he’s a guy who starts 1/2 the time, gets 6 sacks a year in his best years, and is both limited physically (speed+agility) But Does have length and strength.  

Collins was the Arden Key of FA 3Techs.... got a ton of pressures but few sacks.  Most of us convinced ourselves he’s just on the cusp of breaking out.  But what if he didn’t sign with us? What if he visited and left without a deal and signed elsewhere?  The response would have been “no big loss, he’s not that good. We have Hurst anyways”.  But since we signed those two the narrative became “omg Collins and Nassib are going to be beasts for us”.  

Half the problem is most of the guys we signed aren’t that good (But were paid like they are) and the other half is our DC isn’t getting them to Play to their best abilities.  It seems like we have missed on evaluations of the FAs.  Joyner previously played poorly at Slot CB and best at FS but we’ll only play him at sCB..... despite the massive need for a FS to replace Harris.