Redskins vs Falcons Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 3 (8/22/19)

MKnight82

For anyone who thinks this is why Jordan Reed should not have been playing, all I have to say is that’s a load of crap. We all know Reed is a ticking time bomb when it comes to concussions and foot injuries. It’s unfortunate cause when healthy he is our best weapon and I think him and Haskins could do good work together. That being said, it is better that this happens now. I expect Jeremy Sprinkle to actually have a good year for us, especially because he can catch and block, he’s a real weapon in the playaction game. 

• Like 1

Well, I missed most of the game bc I had to drive to PA for work today. I'm glad they won, it looks like Keenum played well and Guice played well which is good.  Awesome to see Can Sims, Harmon and Kidsay make some plays at WR. These young kids are impressive. 

Defense continues to be dominant, which is awesome! McKinzzy continues to shine as a reserve OLB which is awesome! Nice to see Apke make the play on special teams. The defense and our running backs will carry this team as long as Gruden feeds them the rock. 

Sucks about Jordan Reed and his concussion. That's just awful to hear. I don't even know what to think with him and concussions. I'm almost leaning towards he should retire. I just don't know. He's such a talent and I love watching him play but I want him to have a long life after football.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He doesn’t suck. He’s a decent back that the team has no idea how to use. 

While true, he's also the Redskins 4th best RB. He doesn't play special teams and doesn't do much in the passing game, which are also big issues for him. They need to trade him for whatever they can get and either roll with Marshall as our 4th RB (he plays special teams and does a lot in the passing game), keep a 7th WR or 4th TE. A fourth TE seems like a definite now given Reed's concussion. So, Flanagan should make it or Holtz, but I think Flanagan is ahead of Holtz. I do like both guys though as complete TEs.  They can both catch - but aren't great receivers - and they're good blockers, same with Sprinkle. They're just we need in a 3rd/4th TE we are developing to maybe be a #2/blocking TE someday, just like we did with Sprinkle. 

Edited by turtle28

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

A fourth TE seems like a definite now given Reed's concussion. So, Flanagan should make it or Holtz, but I think Flanagan is ahead of Holtz. I do like both guys though as complete TEs they can catch - but aren't great receivers - and they're good blockers, same with Sprinkle.

In back to back plays in the 3rd quarter, Holtz turned a 2nd and 16 into 3rd and 4 ... and then Flanagan dropped a quick hitter that would have been good for the first.

Yes, it was one play each, but that might have been the difference between making the cut and not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he's done, but it could also depend on the severity of the concussion.  

It really doesn't though. Studies have shown that getting one concussion makes it easier to get another. When you have seven, you need to stop and consider your life outside of football.

I do not say that with glee, but out of concern for Jordan as a person. No, I don't know him personally, but I hope someone who does pulls him aside and says "I love you too much to have you go back out onto the field."

PS I hate using the forums on my phone. Still have no idea how you guys do this. Lost this post once already

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

In back to back plays in the 3rd quarter, Holtz turned a 2nd and 16 into 3rd and 4 ... and then Flanagan dropped a quick hitter that would have been good for the first.

Yes, it was one play each, but that might have been the difference between making the cut and not.

Next week will be huge for both guys as I'm sure VD and Sprinkle won't play.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Next week will be huge for both guys as I'm sure VD and Sprinkle won't play.

Most likely not Davis, and probably not Sprinkle. If Sprinkle does play any meaningful amount of time, that would be ungood for him.

I suppose Parham has a shot as well (but maybe only for the practice squad).

21 minutes ago, Woz said:

It really doesn't though. Studies have shown that getting one concussion makes it easier to get another. When you have seven, you need to stop and consider your life outside of football.

I do not say that with glee, but out of concern for Jordan as a person. No, I don't know him personally, but I hope someone who does pulls him aside and says "I love you too much to have you go back out onto the field."

PS I hate using the forums on my phone. Still have no idea how you guys do this. Lost this post once already

Yes, I don;t argue the medical science on that one.  Of course, the Redskins medical staff might, but I digress.  

Also, I never use any of the forums I've posted on from my phone, or even a tablet without a full keyboard.  I absolutely hate that kind of interface. 

I know it’s only preseason... but Keenum has not showed me anything to prove that he should start over Haskins. If you’re choosing between two qbs that were inconsistent during preseason, you might as well go with the one who has upside. Now maybe in practices Keenum is showing more veteran presence and less mistakes, but based off what we can see. I would go with Haskins week one, week 4 the latest. 

• Like 2