Redskins vs Falcons Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 3 (8/22/19)

MKnight82

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Most likely not Davis, and probably not Sprinkle. If Sprinkle does play any meaningful amount of time, that would be ungood for him.

I suppose Parham has a shot as well (but maybe only for the practice squad).

Parham has always been a practice squad target at best IMO, but also Flanagan and Holtz can be put on the practice squad too. I'm not even sold Parham makes the practice squad unless he does something special in practice that we aren't seeing or shows something in the 4th preseason game. So, I’m not even sure he makes the team.

I pretty much laughed at people on Twitter who were so excited about Parham’s signing - without laughing - some people were literally acting like he was the second coming of Reed. I'm not saying the guy isn't going to develop into a decent reserve TE someday, but I just can't believe some people. 

I guess I may have been that bullish about young talent a decade to two decades  ago just if a guy showed something in a preseason game or had a certain height etc at TE or WR but I’ve learned over the years that most of these young UDFA’s are camp fodder and have no shot at making an NFL roster, at best they're hoping to stick on someone's practice squad. 

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I know it’s only preseason... but Keenum has not showed me anything to prove that he should start over Haskins. If you’re choosing between two qbs that were inconsistent during preseason, you might as well go with the one who has upside. Now maybe in practices Keenum is showing more veteran presence and less mistakes, but based off what we can see. I would go with Haskins week one, week 4 the latest. 

100% agree, but I think it's likely Haskins doesn't play until week 6. I definitely think that Jay has already made up his mind to start Keenum in week 1 - which I don't agree with - and Keenum will probably start as long as the team is hovering around .500 - which won't be the first month of the season - and I also still think Colt would be our starter for week 1 if he was healthy, poor guy, story of his career.

I know people are worried about Dwayne not being close to 100% comfortable in the offense, not protected enough, worried about him getting beat up and if that would affect his future career and worried about him failing and if that will hurt his future confidence. I'm not worried about it, bc Haskins is a big strong, smart kid who can handle himself. The coaches can have a run-first offense, run quick game with some screens like Dwayne did a lot of in college and put a package together to help him be successful and to help overcome the issues with the left side of the OL.

I’m sorry, but I just am not interested at all in watching Case freakin Keenum be average out there - or worse - when our possible franchise QB - who looks like he has the tools to be great - sits and watches on the sidelines! 

Sorry to tall those in here and all the ex-players who want to sit Haskins for the first 6 games, longer or even the entire season bc they're ”worried about him, ” sorry, I just don't agree!

Play the kid, have him learn while getting live game action. Gruden/O’Connell need to build a passing game package with a lot of quick hitters, some screens etc, and call the passing plays that Dwayne is most comfortable with and have him master those, like they did with Josh Johnson last December. They also need to run the ball with Peterson, Guice and Thompson like 60% of the time and use a lot of Thompson in the passing game as well.

Just play the kid! I want nothing to do with Keenum, absolutely NOTHING!

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, Woz said:

Most likely not Davis, and probably not Sprinkle. If Sprinkle does play any meaningful amount of time, that would be ungood for him.

I suppose Parham has a shot as well (but maybe only for the practice squad).

I don't know why Sprinkle needs to play, he really doesn't have anything to prove. He's cemented himself as the 3rd TE and could be a #2 TE on a lot of teams if they didn't have two good TEs on their team like we do. 

I don't think Sprinkle needs to play at all. I think Flanagan and Holtz need to play together/split reps in the first half/first 3 quarters and Parham can play the 4th.

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Woz! Like usual, you were right! Start Wes Martin!

Man,he is really bad. I saw 3 pathetic plays by him yesterday. He is what he is. They literally can't do worse than him, so play Martin or the Alabama kid.  They must know this after last night. I truly don't hope they don't start him this season.  As a reserve until next season...fine. I miss Trent 😢😭

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

100% agree, but I think it's likely Haskins doesn't play until week 6. I definitely think that Jay has already made up his mind to start Keenum in week 1 - which I don't agree with - and Keenum will probably start as long as the team is hovering around .500 - which won't be the first month of the season - and I also still think Colt would be our starter for week 1 if he was healthy, poor guy, story of his career.

I know people are worried about Dwayne not being close to 100% comfortable in the offense, not protected enough, worried about him getting beat up and if that would affect his future career and worried about him failing and if that will hurt his future confidence. I'm not worried about it, bc Haskins is a big strong, smart kid who can handle himself. The coaches can have a run-first offense, run quick game with some screens like Dwayne did a lot of in college and put a package together to help him be successful and to help overcome the issues with the left side of the OL.

I’m sorry, but I just am not interested at all in watching Case freakin Keenum be average out there - or worse - when our possible franchise QB - who looks like he has the tools to be great - sits and watches on the sidelines! 

Sorry to tall those in here and all the ex-players who want to sit Haskins for the first 6 games, longer or even the entire season bc they're ”worried about him, ” sorry, I just don't agree!

Play the kid, have him learn while getting live game action. Gruden/O’Connell need to build a passing game package with a lot of quick hitters, some screens etc, and call the passing plays that Dwayne is most comfortable with and have him master those, like they did with Josh Johnson last December. They also need to run the ball with Peterson, Guice and Thompson like 60% of the time and use a lot of Thompson in the passing game as well.

Just play the kid! I want nothing to do with Keenum, absolutely NOTHING!

This would be fine if it was 4 sure he'd get the same opportunities given to Cousins. I just don't see coaches or the fanbase allowing him to grow. They want him to be the guy Right Now even when it's clear on film and on paper Haskins still has some developing to do. I can already see some calling for Tua or Lawrence if Haskins isn't that guy right away. Some calling Haskins a bust if Jones was to start off better than him without putting together that Jones was a 3 year starter and was coached by the same guy who develop the Mannings. 

Edited by Skins212689

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Woz! Like usual, you were right! Start Wes Martin!

Dude, I said that to begin with?!? Wes Martin should be in and Ereck Flowers needs to be benched or released. I even wrote a post about it with Wes Martin as the starting LG. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Good point- but he does seem to take an inordinate amount of head shots . Maybe he just has a big head .!

I think he moves quicker than what most think a guy his size can move.  So when a defender goes in for a shot, all of a sudden his head is in a different spot than what they were thinking.  That's just a theory though.  

7 hours ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Man,he is really bad. I saw 3 pathetic plays by him yesterday. He is what he is. They literally can't do worse than him, so play Martin or the Alabama kid.  They must know this after last night. I truly don't hope they don't start him this season.  As a reserve until next season...fine. I miss Trent 😢😭

Yeah, and the guy who tweeted out how Payne dominated Alex Mack on a play is defending Flowers bc he saved Dwayne Haskins on one play last week.

I gave the guy a WTF! How can he defend Flowers after watching that? Or deflect blame on Flowers bc he didn’t crap himself last week? Haha 🤣 

This was against the Falcons starters and he didn’t look as good as he did last week vs  back ups. No one should be surprised by that.

Also, that’s Tyrone Crawford who blew past Flowers. Crawford used to play for the Cowboys before signing in ATL this offseason.

1 hour ago, mar29020 said:

i think they see some talent and ereck and are going to try and coach him up at LG. we were running pretty good behind him. I'd almost take a good run blocker instead of pass pro because we need to run to win.

If that’s the case just bring back Lavaou! We could have re-signed Lavaou on a vet minimum deal.