Redskins vs Falcons Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 3 (8/22/19)

MKnight82

5 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

This would be fine if it was 4 sure he'd get the same opportunities given to Cousins. I just don't see coaches or the fanbase allowing him to grow. They want him to be the guy Right Now even when it's clear on film and on paper Haskins still has some developing to do. I can already see some calling for Tua or Lawrence if Haskins isn't that guy right away. Some calling Haskins a bust if Jones was to start off better than him without putting together that Jones was a 3 year starter and was coached by the same guy who develop the Mannings. 

I disagree, fans and the people who drafted Haskins will give him time to grow and develop just like they did with RG3 and even though Allen & Snyder wanted RG3 to continue to play over Cousins in 2015, they still allowed McCloughan and Gruden to go with Cousins in 2015. 

Most fans want Haskins to play and don’t want to watch Case or Colt.

Jordan Reed. Should the offense use plays to keep him safe ? Whitten ( Cowboys ) has had a long career and is seldom / never hurt. Does he run slants over the middle where the safety can blow him up !? 

Does the way we use him and the routes we ask him to run cause him get concussed so often . The slant over the middle has to be the most dangerous play in football for a receiver . 

14 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Jordan Reed. Should the offense use plays to keep him safe ? Whitten ( Cowboys ) has had a long career and is seldom / never hurt. Does he run slants over the middle where the safety can blow him up !? 

Does the way we use him and the routes we ask him to run cause him get concussed so often . The slant over the middle has to be the most dangerous play in football for a receiver . 

I think so, but that hit could come on any play. Neal should get suspended for targeting.

More out routes, more choice routes in the middle like Witten runs. Inside breaking routes, but not slants?

1 hour ago, mar29020 said:

i think reed is to good to be cut but we need to invest in another tight end so we are relying upon reed. when healthy he is a top 3 talent and they dont grow on trees.

The thing is that Reed basically plays as a slot WR. Yeah, they have him line up as an inline TE on first downs, rundowns and short-yardage but he plays as much slot WR as he does as a true TE.

I think they should draft a TE next year in the mid rounds. VD’s contract is up after this year and I like Sprinkle’s potential as a blocking TE and decent receiving TE. 

I don't have an issue with Sprinkle taking over for VD next year.

I do agree that we should draft a TE too though, I just think it's more a mid-round need.

LT, WR and ILB seem like bigger needs to me and possibly still LG if Flowers looks awful and they don't think Martin is good enough to start over Flowers. 

Studied the videotape 

Guide is really good. Theismann sucks as an announcer- so annoying. Start mvp and let guice spell him and grow to start next year

77 sucks at pass blocking. A fat guy who has no instinct or lateral movement. Put Wes as starter. Don’t put Haskins in with 77 at guard or he’s Ramsey 2.0 a shell a hockey waste of talent as he will get killed

that kid Bee on the DL impressed me as a backup

Gruden is so clueless about how to use our offensive talent- . Can’t coach or develop players

that backup olb can rush the passer. Keep him.  

our DL is really fantastic 

trade over rated Trent Williams, Jordan reed and bust doctson. I don’t care how good you are if you don’t play. Availability is just as important as talent 

our team will be historically bad this year. We could go 3-13 or 6-10. 

When will woz start to 2020 draft discussion 

clinton Portis as sideline reporter? Worse than number 77 at guard 

I miss sonny and Sam who was as drunk as I am by the third quarter

doc out 

Edited by Doc Draper
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Studied the videotape 

Guide is really good. Theismann sucks as an announcer- so annoying. Start mvp and let guice spell him and grow to start next year

77 sucks at pass blocking. A fat guy who has no instinct or lateral movement. Put Wes as starter. Don’t put Haskins in with 77 at guard or he’s Ramsey 2.0 a shell a hockey waste of talent as he will get killed

that kid Bee on the DL impressed me as a backup

Gruden is so clueless about how to use our offensive talent- he sucks so bad- a 50 cent hooker. Can’t coach or develop players

that backup olb can rush the passer. Keep him.  

our DL is really fantastic 

trade over rated Trent Williams, Jordan reed and bust doctson. I don’t care how good you are if you don’t play. Availability is just as important as talent 

our team will be historically bad this year. We could go 3-13 or 6-10. 

When will woz start to 2020 draft discussion 

clinton Portis as sideline reporter? Worse than number 77 at guard 

I miss sonny and Sam who was as drunk as I am by the third quarter

doc out 

I disagree w/ trading Doctson. What the hell would we get for him? Nothing! It's worth more to see if he can at least give us something/anything this year. Then, take the comp pick for Doctson next year if you don't want to match whatever contract he is offered from another team.

We can't trade Reed at this time while he's in concussion protocol and who knows when he’ll be out of that.

I guess I could see a fire sale - but Dan and Brice won't do it - at the trade deadline of our near or over 30 good to great players.

If I was GM and we started the season out 1-4 or 0-5, I’d look to trade TWill, Peterson, Kerrigan, Norman and Reed to contenders. I could see a package of TWill, Kerrigan, Peterson & Reed actually to the Texans for picks and Clowney bc they could use those 5 talented vets on their offense to make them a Super Bowl contender.

Trading Clowney to us gives the Texans about $16 more million in cap space so they’ll have $53 million in cap space.

And if we trade TWill, Kerrigan, Peterson and Reed to the Texans that's $40 million in salary that they'd take on. So, they’d still have $13 million in cap space. Heck, they can still go out and sign Eric Berry to be their FS if they want to with that $.

So, we'd get to unload near or over 30-year-old talent for Clowney to replace Kerrigan and a boatload of picks and then, we’d have possibly the best front 5 on D in the NFL with:

ROLB: Clowney

RDE: Allen

NT: Payne

LDE: Ioannidis 

LOLB: Sweat

😱 :o

It's clear the Redskins need to rebuild and they need to try to do that around Haskins and the sooner the better. They have already done a good job of building on defense and have some promising young players on offense, but those players need to prove themselves.

I definitely  disagree on Gruden. I don't think Gruden is a great HC by any means and I agree he's not tough enough on his players - especially at training camp - but you can't get by with saying he and his staff don't do at least a decent job at developing players.

Yeah, Doctson hasn't worked out and Ryan Anderson but look at all the young talent on the roster that looks to be developing just fine right now.

Then, look at all the players who got paid in Cincy that he helped develop on than offense before we hired him to be our HC.

Lastly, look at all of the talent that has left the Redskins to get overpaid on 2nd contracts or paid what they were worth on second contracts around the league! It's a long damn list! A list we didn't have under previous HC’s like Shanahan, Zorn, Norv and even Joe Gibbs 2.0 from last decade.

Gruden isn’t a great HC but you surely sell him short in a lot of ways, especially when it comes to him and his staff developing young talent.

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Clinton Portis is a pretty terrible sideline reporter.  

I say start the draft discussion now.  Heck, theres already a five page thread here in the forum, about draft needs for next year, so an argument could be made for that thread being the draft thread. 

Agree. With Luck retiring we have competition for the number 1 pick. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Agree. With Luck retiring we have competition for the number 1 pick. 

I don't think the Colts are in the running for the #1 pick. They still have Jacoby Brisett - who's at worst average - and a good young roster. They'll be around a .500 team.

I also don't think that even if we traded TWill, Peterson, Kerrigan, Norman and Reed that we’d be worse than the Dolphins or a few other teams. No matter what we are almost assuredly to have a top 10 pick and probably have a top 5 pick, but I don't think #1.

On 8/23/2019 at 5:31 AM, turtle28 said:

Woz! Like usual, you were right! Start Wes Martin!

If you recorded the Bengals game you will find Flowers has some technical flaws  and  Geron Christian is even worse. We all know about the Lt side of the OL and you can bet our opponents will exploit this issue viciously.  

https://twitter.com/RobbieDuncanOL/status/1162875266575867904/photo/1

https://twitter.com/RobbieDuncanOL/status/1162875266575867904/photo/1

Edited by 4209
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think the defense is going to be too good on talent alone to keep us from the top 5 of the draft. However, with Manusky running the defense he may just ruin things on his own. Jerry Jeudy, come on down. 

Jeudy or Andrew Thomas, the LT from Georgia.

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think the defense is going to be too good on talent alone to keep us from the top 5 of the draft. However, with Manusky running the defense he may just ruin things on his own. Jerry Jeudy, come on down. 

Aside from Manusky, I'm really worried about how we are going to handle pass coverage against TE's and taller, bulkier WR's.  Our ILB corps doesn't inspire much confidence, nor the safeties from a coverage standpoint.  There definitely is some talent, and those weaknesses can be negated by a good pass-rush, but I'm not going to put money on it.