NFL network: Jaylon Smith new deal

Calvert28

1 hour ago, CAPJ said:

That's a steal for us. I definitely thought he would want closer to $17 mill a year.

I guess shredding your knee and then working to get back to where you were might give you perspective that others might not have, like getting my money now vs waiting for more money and possibly getting injured.  Happy for him.  Never thought he'd physically be anywhere near back to where he is. Really a great story for a great young man.

• Like 2

I’m really happy for him. He’s always been a high character guy and a great teammate. When he destroyed his knee in the Orange Bowl, I couldn’t find a single person who wasn’t rooting for him to recover. And now, he’s not only fully recovered, but has become one of the elite LBs in the NFL, finished his college degree in May, and takes nothing for granted. If I was willing to spend money on this team (I still won’t), his jersey would be the first one I’d buy. I may be a Michigan man, and he might be a Domer, but I love that guy.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I still am unclear why we were able to sign him at all. He only has 3 accrued years....

Did we get some sort of exception?

No exception. Drafted players can be given a new contract after 3 years, undrafted players after 2 years. 

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

No exception. Drafted players can be given a new contract after 3 years, undrafted players after 2 years. 

9 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I thought you could re-sign/renegotiate  a rookie's contract after 3 years.   Zeke only has 3 years. 

I need more coffee in my life. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Bill Barnwell: Could’ve had him for $7M the next two years instead, Jerry dumb

No cap hits over $10M until ‘22. I thought we’d be dealing with $17-18M by then. Never even gets close to that.

Edited by matt79511