Week 1 Ravens @ Bengals

MrCincinnati

3 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

@theJ It wasn't just the INTs. If that was all, I'd move on to the next game and hope it was just a fluke.   The plays that disappointed me the most was missing Core wide open on deep balls and throwing the ball out of the back of the end zone on a 4th down play. 

How in the hell do you explain throwing it out of bounds on a 4th down play...

Core should have caught that ball.  It was off the mark, but not uncatchable.  Core has shown time and time again he can't adjust to the ball in the air and make a tough grab.  He makes it look harder on that play by not coming back to the ball until the last second.  He should have made the adjustment the moment the ball was thrown.  Green, Lafell and Ross probably catch that.

The 4th down play?  I can't explain that.  Dalton played real bad.  But there's no reason to think he's going to continue that.  He had a great 2015 and a good 2016.  Lowered his INT rate under 2% and became a play maker.  Let's see another game before we think the season is over.

Not sure what Dalton was doing most of the day. To your point @theJ, the throw away on 4th down is something you can expect from a rookie who is overwhelmed, but a veteran like Andy? Also he escapes a sack in the 4th, only to roll to the left to run out of bounds for a sack. This team was ill prepared to play today. The offense gameplan was bad. Execution was even worse. Total disaster by everyone involved. 

44 minutes ago, theJ said:

Core should have caught that ball.  It was off the mark, but not uncatchable.  Core has shown time and time again he can't adjust to the ball in the air and make a tough grab.  He makes it look harder on that play by not coming back to the ball until the last second.  He should have made the adjustment the moment the ball was thrown.  Green, Lafell and Ross probably catch that.

The 4th down play?  I can't explain that.  Dalton played real bad.  But there's no reason to think he's going to continue that.  He had a great 2015 and a good 2016.  Lowered his INT rate under 2% and became a play maker.  Let's see another game before we think the season is over.

There were 2 throws to Core.  One I agree he should have won to help his QB out but the other one was just a terrible throw by Dalton.  He didn't look good in the preseason and it seems to have carried over into the regular season.  I hope it's not a season long drought.  The Ravens defense is the toughest we're going to face but just the level of incompetence shown by a QB that should be in his prime now, was disheartening.  We're making too many excuses for him as well.  Yes, he had pressure but every QB faces pressure from time to time but he looked lost every time.

Thankfully we play again Thursday.  Let's see if we can recover.  This team has zero fight when Burfict is not out there...

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

There were 2 throws to Core.  One I agree he should have won to help his QB out but the other one was just a terrible throw by Dalton.

I don't remember them both.  I just remember the deep one down the left side in the endzone.  What was the other one?

10 minutes ago, theJ said:

I don't remember them both.  I just remember the deep one down the left side in the endzone.  What was the other one?

2nd quarter: (5:58) (Shotgun) 14-A.Dalton pass incomplete deep right to 16-C.Core.

That should have been a TD or at the very least we would have been in the red zone.  He had time, Core was open and he missed him.  He threw it out of bounds when Core was WIDE OPEN.  We can blame Zampese, Hill, the OLine, daylight savings time, whatever.  Dalton flat out stunk yesterday and this loss is on him...

2 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

2nd quarter: (5:58) (Shotgun) 14-A.Dalton pass incomplete deep right to 16-C.Core.

That should have been a TD or at the very least we would have been in the red zone.  He had time, Core was open and he missed him.  We can blame Zampese, Hill, the OLine, daylight savings time, whatever.  Dalton flat out stunk yesterday and this loss is on him...

Oh yeah, i thought that was Green.  The entire O-line was his lap and he couldn't step into it.  Bad throw.  Still, should have made it.

18 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I love you @theJ but this is on Dalton.  Here's screen shots I just took from that play:

Oh i agree he needs to make that throw.  But that pocket is collapsing at an alarming rate.  Fisher, Boling and Bodine are all on skates.  Pushed back 3 yards in the time between Dalton hitting the back of his drop and trying to take 1 step forward.  When you watch in real time, it definitely looks like he short arms it and doesn't make a complete throw.

Again, i agree he needs to make that throw.  I think he does make that throw with a little cleaner pocket.

@TheVillain112

Don't get me wrong.  Offensive lines aren't perfect.  Pockets will collapse, i expect Dalton to make plays in those situations too.  But QB's across the league all have worse passer ratings under duress.  We can look at individual plays and say he should have made that throw each time.  But in general, the line needs to protect better to allow him to get in a rhythm where he might be able to make some of those throws under duress.

I think we're going to see this quite a bit this year with this line.  Dalton doesn't get into his rhythm early, and he misses throws he would normally make when things are breaking down around him.

3 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

You should do that. Much less frustrating.

That might be the theme this week in the Game day threads. "Other entertaining things you could be doing instead of watching this train wreck."

I'm suggesting 30 Rock. Liz Lemon, Jack Donaghey and the rest of the TGS crew makes everything better. 

Game related - looking like Deshaun Watson will be starting. The Texans OL had issues last season when our two teams met up, and that was WITH Duane Brown, who is now onto week 2 of his Regular Season holdout. I'm sure the Bengals front is going to hurt somebody this Thursday.

6 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

That might be the theme this week in the Game day threads. "Other entertaining things you could be doing instead of watching this train wreck."

I'm suggesting 30 Rock. Liz Lemon, Jack Donaghey and the rest of the TGS crew makes everything better. 

Game related - looking like Deshaun Watson will be starting. The Texans OL had issues last season when our two teams met up, and that was WITH Duane Brown, who is now onto week 2 of his Regular Season holdout. I'm sure the Bengals front is going to hurt somebody this Thursday.

I'm thinking 14 combined sacks between both teams.  Both Olines a mess.

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'm thinking 14 combined sacks between both teams.  Both Olines a mess.

I think 12 of those will be Bengals sacks. For as touted as the Watt/Clowney/Mercilius trio are, they were invisible yesterday against the patchwork Jags OL. Blake Bortles (yes, THAT Blake Bortles) could have filed his taxes and got his return on each drop back.

I get it with Watt - first game back from a back injury, probably a sign of things to come - but no excuses for Clowney or Mercilius. Both were stonewalled against Cam Robinson and whoever plays RT for the Jags.

I think we can all agree that Dalton needs a clean pocket to be effective. I think we can all agree that this o line is going to be pretty sparse on clean pockets this year. Dalton needs to adapt to his new surroundings and Zampeze needs to mix up more short throws and change of direction, the pre snap movement was a good idea but not enough. The three headed monster at rb gives me at least a slice of hope to relieve some pressure.

Also if not for back the breaking turnovers (which did take some luck to fall the wrong way)  they would've been in that game easily. Besides the long drives the defense held it's own missing three starters.

Archived