You Are Wrong About Lamar Jackson - Warren Sharp

Ray Reed

Just now, Danand said:

Nobody wants to crown him. The whole argument is based on a huge number of people who act like he can't complete a pass.

THIS. No Ravens fan is saying he's the next Patrick Mahomes. We just want people to acknowledge the good stuff he does and not use lazy excuses like, "he's a RB", "it's just the Dolphins".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Are you saying we shouldn't wait and see and just crown him now?

I'm saying you can both recognize that he has massively improved while still acknowledging that the results that we witnessed yesterday (the stats) aren't going to happen every week. The entire narrative since he was drafted was "He's not a QB, he's a RB. He can't throw a football!" and yesterday he thoroughly shut that narrative down. So in the realm of "Can he throw a football at the NFL level?" I think it's safe to say we can crown him there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm saying you can both recognize that he has massively improved while still acknowledging that the results that we witnessed yesterday (the stats) aren't going to happen every week. The entire narrative since he was drafted was "He's not a QB, he's a RB. He can't throw a football!" and yesterday he thoroughly shut that narrative down. So in the realm of "Can he throw a football at the NFL level?" I think it's safe to say we can crown him there.

Lots of good QBs have bad games and lots of bad QBs have good games. It's one game. I don't think this moves the needle very much at all. He set out and did exactly what a young, first-round QB should do against a defense that will probably go down in history for the wrong reasons. Baltimore is a playoff caliber team. Miami is lucky to win 3 games at this point. They should have been dominated. Which is why I made the Trubisky comparison to last season. Both situations are very similar. The potential is there, now let's see it on a week to week basis and against good teams.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It’s no different than you guys excusing the Chargers game and getting hyped about him torching maybe the worst team in nfl history.

The Chargers game he had some flaws, but that was mainly a terrible gameplan that had us play WAAAAYY too conservative. That game is the reason why our OC was supplanted by Greg Roman and then conversely due to his ego decided to quit rather than be demoted.

Lamar wasn’t asked to pass the ball until the 4th quarter. When he did, he almost completed a comeback. The excuse was that it was just against “a prevent defense” and that Lamar inflated his numbers. But both aspects are true. He had a bad first half, but when he passed in the second half he was poised and generally on point. Most teams would’ve went into pass mode sooner than the final 5 minutes of the game.

Had we gone into pass mode sooner and Lamar looked competent as a passer in the late 3rd or early 4th, perhaps the narrative of that game changes entirely, even with a loss (probably not based off of this thread).

So if the Dolphins secondary looks competent defensively the rest of the season, will the argument change to say that the Ravens just caught them at a bad time?

Whats more with Sam Darnold and Josh Allen all within the same division, I’m fully expecting Lamar’s contemporaries to put up 4 TDs in the first half against this Miami defense/secondary.

I mean, they get to play this historically bad defense/team (of which we can crown them as such after only 1 game) two times this year.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ever think maybe Harbaugh said that purposefully to give other DC's bad info? Harbaugh does this stuff all the time. I think the fact that Lamar just ran 3 times for 6 yards while throwing 20+ times and posting a perfect passer rating says more than Harbaugh's comments in July, but I mean idk.

That he can't throw a football? That he can't read a defense? Take your pick.

People have said that. I'm saying that's not been the only narrative and any fool can 'throw a football'.

Also, no i dont view Harbaugh as that intelligent, he is still related to Jim

27 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

So if the Dolphins secondary looks competent defensively the rest of the season, will the argument change to say that the Ravens just caught them at a bad time?

Whats more with Sam Darnold and Josh Allen all within the same division, I’m fully expecting Lamar’s contemporaries to put up 4 TDs in the first half against this Miami defense/secondary.

I mean, they get to play this historically bad defense/team (of which we can crown them as such after only 1 game) two times this year.

Imo, no. Because that coaching staff doesnt care about winning. They've got some talent in that secondary, their coaching staff just wont use it properly because they don't actually want to win

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Imo, no. Because that coaching staff doesnt care about winning. They've got some talent in that secondary, their coaching staff just wont use it properly because they don't actually want to win

This might be the most idiotic take I've ever seen on here

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 3

Just now, M.10.E said:

This might be the most idiotic take I've ever seen on here

Actually the above was.

How do you figure its idiotic? That organization practically dismantled itself. There was no appearance of desire or care on the sidelines. They're not even trying to hide the fact they're tanking.

Just because you already view LJ as elite doesnt make someone else's opinion idiotic and suggesting it does sort of makes you the idiot

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

People have said that. I'm saying that's not been the only narrative and any fool can 'throw a football'.

Also, no i dont view Harbaugh as that intelligent, he is still related to Jim

I’m hoping this is a joke. You don’t last as long as a HC in this league without being a quality coach. What’s more Harbaugh has done this type of stuff before, this is old hat. He didn’t even announce our starting LG for the season so as to not give a competitive advantage to opposing coaches.

Whats more Jim has a 70% win record in the NFL and that 49ers team that was bad before he arrived and fell apart after he left, is still doing poorly years later. Then he goes to Michigan and provides a 10% win bump over Hoke and nearly a 30% increase over Rodriguez. He’s only 5% shy of where Lloyd Carr was for all those years. You’re acting as if Jim is some scrub of a coach, he’s certainly not.