You Are Wrong About Lamar Jackson - Warren Sharp

Ray Reed

I just don’t believe in him. Only because we’ve seen this before. We’ve seen these elite athlete running QBs with questionable minds for the game before. We’ve seen RGIII, Vick, and Kaepernick have immediate success after getting figured out and bombing. Heck...he could even be good this year and I still won’t buy into him. 

And why does Russell Wilson get brought up in every one of these threads? Because he’s black? Give me a break...Wilson never fit the mold of the group above. He was always a good pocket passer that had the ability to escape the pocket, not unlike Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, John Elway, or a slew of talented WHITE pocket passers. So lumping Wilson in is very lazy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Ravens fans - if the Pats played Pittsburgh in the AFCCG, who do you want to win?

No question. The Pats. 

4 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Always rooted for the Pats against the Steelers

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I would root for the Pats

+1

• Like 1

I don't mind when people criticize Lamar fairly (extremely inconsistent passer due to mechanics, really ugly throws sometimes etc). I just HATE that 95% of the arguments are extremely lazy arguments such as.

- he's a RB

- can't read defenses

- can't throw

- offense is figured out

- he won't last

- he'll get hurt

Everyone also seemingly ignores the horrible offensive line play in the chargers game where no QB would've been successful. Also the terrible play calling. 

I just want the kid to have a fair shot. 

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

I don't mind when people criticize Lamar fairly (extremely inconsistent passer due to mechanics, really ugly throws sometimes etc). I just HATE that 95% of the arguments are extremely lazy arguments such as.

- he's a RB

- can't read defenses

- can't throw

- offense is figured out

- he won't last

- he'll get hurt

Everyone also seemingly ignores the horrible offensive line play in the chargers game where no QB would've been successful. Also the terrible play calling. 

The injury thing is probably a legit concern, at least. Running quarterbacks have a bad history of sustainability in the NFL. Jackson doesn’t have the Cam Newton “put my head down and run” mentality, but he isn’t as bulky as Cam either. No guarantees one way or another, but that has to at least be a concern that is less of a risk than with a QB like Baker or Darnold (but it does undeservedly get forgotten about with Josh Allen). 

Everything else, I’m with you.

35 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

- he's a RB

- can't read defenses

- can't throw

- offense is figured out

- he won't last

- he'll get hurt

They're all hyperbole except him getting hurt. He's going to if he keeps running as much as he does. I can't tell you when but some game he'll get caught, and get caught bad. I don't care if you like or dislike the comparison, but it's really accurate, he's the closest thing we've seen to Mike Vick in a long time, maybe RG3 is the only other guy that registers on that scale.

Regarding the health, he's 220 pounds which is the same size as most RBs. He had over 500 carries his last two years (in college) plus last year and never missed a game. The designed runs arent going to be as excessive as last last year. There have been many articles showing that running QBs get hurt at the same frequency as pocket QBs.

Edited by M.10.E

19 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I don't believe any of this rivalry stuff. 

Ravens fans - if the Pats played Pittsburgh in the AFCCG, who do you want to win? Charger fans, when we played KC, who did you prefer to win?

Ravens fan: This is the one game where I’m cheering for the Steelers.

1. The rivalry hasn’t been quite the same since Ray Lewis and Hines Ward and those guys left and the NFL threw a flag for any physical play in a game... that was the hallmark of that rivalry.

2. While the Ravens and Steelers fans have always butted heads, there was always one thing that unified us both. We played physical/enjoyed watching the physical style of play on both sides of the ball and their was respect for how each team played the game. The rivalry was always like a little brother trying to finally surpass his older brother and the older brother not wanting that.

3. The Patriots have always been the exception. Ever since that 2006 game where the refs made it a point to give the undefeated Patriots that win with unique calls and Tom Brady complaining for calls and Bart Scott eventually tossing a flag into the stands... I’ve hated that team. There is no respect. Thus since then it’s been the rival from the other side of town that you just don’t like or respect.

4. Thus if the Steelers play the Patriots, no contest, I’m going for the Steelers... my brothers keeper and all.

13 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

3. The Patriots have always been the exception. Ever since that 2006 game where the refs made it a point to give the undefeated Patriots that win with unique calls and Tom Brady complaining for calls and Bart Scott eventually tossing a flag into the stands... I’ve hated that team. There is no respect. Thus since then it’s been the rival from the other side of town that you just don’t like or respect.

Not that you hold a grudge or anything xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

The injury thing is probably a legit concern, at least. Running quarterbacks have a bad history of sustainability in the NFL. Jackson doesn’t have the Cam Newton “put my head down and run” mentality, but he isn’t as bulky as Cam either. No guarantees one way or another, but that has to at least be a concern that is less of a risk than with a QB like Baker or Darnold (but it does undeservedly get forgotten about with Josh Allen). 

Everything else, I’m with you.

TL;WR- Injuries play a role for everyone, but Lamar has been durable. We can’t compare anyone to what he has done to this point....

It’s a concern, but his injury percentage is actually lower than that of Sam Darnold.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/sam-darnold/9963

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/lamar-jackson/9964

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/baker-mayfield/9960

Darnold just missed games last year as a “pocket passer”. Therefore the argument that says he’s less likely to get hurt is nonsense. The only pocket passers that consistently don’t miss time are the ones with great pocket presence. Joe Flacco was one of the toughest and most durable players within the pocket until he got hit and wasn’t. My point? Everyone gets hit, so everyone can miss games.

Now logically I understand that the more hits one takes, the higher the chance of injury. But this isn’t the same league that Vick played in where if a defender caught you they could destroy your soul. This isn’t even the same league that RG3 played in as a young player where a Haloti Ngata could devour you. There’s a lot more protection for the offensive players from defenders delivering massive hits... else they’ll be penalized.

Whats more, many people refuse to acknowledge that durability isn’t some static concept. Some players are just tougher than others and endure injuries less than others. RG3 was injured multiple times in his college career, did we really think that lack of durability would suddenly go away at the NFL level? Mike Vick was injured multiple times at the collegiate level, did we really think he would somehow grow a more durable body once entering the pros?

If we look at players at the collegiate level that were injury prone, do we typically find a different result when they make the step up? Conversely with durable players at the collegiate level, do we find that they see reduced durability in the pros?

Lamar Jackson rushed for more yards and with similar carries as Saquan Barkley, yet remained as durable as Barkley. This isn’t to say that Barkley won’t get hurt or that Lamar won’t get hurt, it simply means that those tough hits that he is destined to take, statistically speaking, based off of his innate body durability, he might take a few more of them before a big injury occurs.

Using Vick and RG3 as arguments against Lamar in the durability department is lazy and nonsensical. Neither ran as much as Lamar in college and both displayed far less durability.

Truth be told there is no QB to compare Lamar to. There has never been a QB that has run the ball so much and remained durable throughout at the collegiate level. He’s an anomaly.

Colin Kaepernick is the closest comparison point from a rushing standpoint, but he also played in a more physical league, he wasn’t quite as fast, and he still didn’t rush the ball as much as Lamar or with the same level of success. What’s more Kaepernick didn’t come into the league until he was 24 and start until he was 25 and didn’t sustain injury until he was 28. If Lamar doesn’t sustain injury until he’s 28... and we win a Super Bowl in that time, it was all worth it, charge it to the game.

What’s more while 25 year old Kaepernick was a better passer than 21 year old Lamar, the potential that Lamar has to still develop as a passer has still not been fully tapped. Most QBs don’t come into the league until they are 22/23 years old.

So again, saying 21 year old Lamar Jackson doesn’t compare to 24 year old Russell Wilson as a passer that is true. But will 24 year old Lamar compare to him? We don’t know. Because 21 year old Russell Wilson was a 58% collegiate passer that needed to eventually transfer to another program for NFL evaluators to give him a shot as a QB.

44 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Not that you hold a grudge or anything xD

True. In recent history I’ve at least come to respect Bill Belichick. How he’s been able to keep a strong mindset for his teams where no player is above the team... in this modern NFL where players want to be stars. With his “creative tactics” in staying ahead of other teams and outcoaching them. Greatest coach of all time IMO.

• Like 1