You Are Wrong About Lamar Jackson - Warren Sharp

Ray Reed

2 hours ago, viper952 said:

I'm a Ravens fan but people need to temper their expectations of Lamar.

Awesome performance, but it was against the worst team in the NFL

Meh. Going into this season the vast majority of NFL fanbases said this man was a RB and that he couldn’t pass the ball. Then you had the legit haters that said he could not improve and wasn’t even worthy of a 3rd round pick in the draft. Some even said this man’s career was over because the Chargers figured him out and the rest of the league would use the blueprint, that be benched before the season was over.

Just this week there was a comparisons thread that asked if Josh Rosen or Lamar Jackson was the better player... even though Lamar last year took our 31st ranked rushing attack under Flacco for over half the season and turned it around so that by the end of his 7 starts they finished as the 2nd best rushing attack in the league. He finished with a 6-1 record as a starter. And as a passer was pretty efficient. He even threw for a better completion percentage than all of his 1st round contemporaries except Baker. He had a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. Good YPA average.

Yet as opposed to comparing him to Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, or Baker Mayfield- his contemporaries that are actually starting QBs in 2019, he was compared to the one on the bench.

So yeah, it’s the tanking Dolphins, but the expectations haven’t changed much. Those that support Lamar see this game as proof that his offseason improvements make him a viable threat as a runner and passer... and those that don’t support him will continue to excuse the performance until he plays a “real” defense or he inevitably has a below average game and they can say he’s been “figured out”.

• Like 2

Say what you want about the Dolphins defense, but Lamar was dropping dimes all day today from all ranges. If that doesn't show you his improvement from last year (especially his deep ball and mechanics), I'm not sure you're ever going to see anything with him.

Will he look this good consistently? No, absolutely not, but nobody can deny the improvements he's made this offseason.

• Like 8

He looks to have cleaned up some footwork and has really taken the time to study defenses. I know it was Miami but he was throwing guys open. His release looked smoother and less hurried. 

He was very comfortable, which is exactly what I saw from him in the preseason. It was good to see that translate 

I was impressed, but it's 1 week. Let's see it against a real defense 

I would NOT say anyone was wrong about LJ.

Miami. In case you missed it that is who they played.  They are the WORST TEAM in the league in a decade including in comparison to the teams that went 0-16. Now, maybe we are wrong about LJ but this singular game doesnt prove that. Imo, Ryan leaf would've gone off on this team. Miami friggin sucks. They're also not hiding the fact they're not trying to win.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I would NOT say anyone was wrong about LJ.

Miami. In case you missed it that is who they played.  They are the WORST TEAM in the league in a decade including in comparison to the teams that went 0-16. Now, maybe we are wrong about LJ but this singular game doesnt prove that. Imo, Ryan leaf would've gone off on this team. Miami friggin sucks. They're also not hiding the fact they're not trying to win.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

So the fact that Miami is possibly entering a level of historical suckage somehow invalidates the fact that Jackson was throwing passes all day and they went just where they were supposed to? The Dolphins' badness can't control physics, gravity, his throwing motion, or his accuracy.

"Not bad for a running back," Jackson joked with reporters after the victory.

It's too early to be sure about him one way or the other but he started 2019 off right.

• Like 2

Keep moving the goal posts.

First it was he can't even throw and hit open guys. Now it's because it was the Dolphins.

Every QB better drop 5 TDs in three quarters from here on out.

Also this:

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Say what you want about the Dolphins defense, but Lamar was dropping dimes all day today from all ranges. If that doesn't show you his improvement from last year (especially his deep ball and mechanics), I'm not sure you're ever going to see anything with him.

Will he look this good consistently? No, absolutely not, but nobody can deny the improvements he's made this offseason.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 2

I started Lamar Jackson over Jared goff and Matt Ryan in both of my fantasy leagues. 

I expected a masterful performance like this. I think he was absolutely worth a first round pick of the 2018 NFL draft. 

I do think this was a fluff game to get his confidence up. We'll see how it continues going forward.