You Are Wrong About Lamar Jackson - Warren Sharp

Ray Reed

Yeah. Jackson didn’t have a great game. Our OL is particularly weak against interior pressure and Jackson is at his worse vs that as he can’t step into his throws with a wide base. 

When he can’t do that he tends to narrow his base (while he’s worked on it all offseason, that’s been his “instinctive motion” for years so it’ll take time to delete out of his system). When he narrows his base he overthrows and lowers his accuracy.

So yeah, Jackson missed deep for much of the game. But had plays where receivers were dropping multiple passes that were on target as well. The receivers somewhat made up for it with two miraculous catch opportunities after Jackson extended the play with his legs.

All that said though... Jackson showed why he’s so dangerous. Even though his “arm” wasn’t on today, he still was able to make the requisite plays to keep us competitive in this game.

One thing to note is that interior pass protection will be crucial for him being at his best moving forward. The Chiefs got great pressure upfront and that limited both the deep play to Hollywood as well as Jackson’s accuracy.

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

Missed a lot of throws and got extremely lucky on two prayers. 

I expected a better performance against that D.

Every QB gets lucky. Mahomes had his guys wide open and make one handed amazing catches. It happens. Lamar is 22 years old, he's not going to play great every game.

3 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Lamar played bad and we lost by 5 in Arrowhead putting up 28 points. I'll take it. Missed some throws but still made plays.

And IMO the throws he missed weren't even to open guys. We almost never had guys running open down the field today. Lamar was missing deep throws on catches that even if the ball was placed perfectly it would've been contested.

That being said it wasn't his best day throwing the ball and we lost by 5 on a day where our defense was letting literally everyone for KC run uncovered down the field against us. I'm not mad about Lamar's performance.

• 2 months later...

After three quarters through the season, I think it’s safe to say that Warren Sharpe and his take was absolutely correct. He deserves props for sticking to his guns and his analysis at a time when the entire football world was completely against Lamar and thought he had been “figured out” and enough thought that he wouldn’t make it through this season as the starter.

• Like 2