Extensions Coming.

dll2000

We have $21M in cap space now so this could be multiple guys. Whitehair is the obvious choice but Trevathan makes sense too. 

Dark horse here for me and one I mentioned previously in the offseason would be Allen Robinson. He’s on the books this and next year at $15M cap hits in each. A 5/75 type extension for him where we largely guarantee this and next year and some in year 3 will let us move his 2019 and 2020 cap numbers significantly down, and would also give us some insulation against his AAV going WAY up going into a 2020 contract year if he has the big season many think he might this year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We have $21M in cap space now so this could be multiple guys. Whitehair is the obvious choice but Trevathan makes sense too. 

Dark horse here for me and one I mentioned previously in the offseason would be Allen Robinson. He’s on the books this and next year at $15M cap hits in each. A 5/75 type extension for him where we largely guarantee this and next year and some in year 3 will let us move his 2019 and 2020 cap numbers significantly down, and would also give us some insulation against his AAV going WAY up going into a 2020 contract year if he has the big season many think he might this year. 

I would make sense to use this money to extend a few core guys who are still young and healthy beyond 2020-21 so we can keep this window open as long as possible.

ARob has been such a gem not only as a player but as a person and a leader by example that I would not want to lose him if at all possible and so far we've failed to find an adequate replacement for Trevathan so if we can extend him for another two year beyond 2019 I feel that would be smart too.

Whitehair is a given and Pace will still have to figure out how best to deal with Floyd next spring.  I doubt he's gonna want to pay him based on his 5th year option salary.

So.....lots of possibilities.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I would make sense to use this money to extend a few core guys who are still young and healthy beyond 2020-21 so we can keep this window open as long as possible.

ARob has been such a gem not only as a player but as a person and a leader by example that I would not want to lose him if at all possible and so far we've failed to find an adequate replacement for Trevathan so if we can extend him for another two year beyond 2019 I feel that would be smart too.

Whitehair is a given and Pace will still have to figure out how best to deal with Floyd next spring.  I doubt he's gonna want to pay him based on his 5th year option salary.

So.....lots of possibilities.

Funny that last year a lot of Bears fans were planning ARobs exit in 2020 as a cap saving move.

Camp news has changed a lot of minds on him.  He is poised for a big year.  Still has to actually happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Funny that last year a lot of Bears fans were planning ARobs exit in 2020 as a cap saving move.

Camp news has changed a lot of minds on him.  He is poised for a big year.  Still has to actually happen.

I was never one who felt we'd cut him but I did worry about keeping him around after 2020.

If we have the money and cap room to do so I think extending him would be a very good idea.  Last year was in no way indicative of what he's capable of other than his playoff game but clearly Mitch has a huge amount of trust in him and he needs that.  ARob to Mitch could easily be what Jordy Nelson was for Aaron Rodgers for so long.  And ARob is only 26 years old so hell yes extend him if possible.

The other factor is with his ability to line up at any position how does a defense account for him?

If he's in the slot do you use your #3 CB on him whose typically a smaller quicker type.  If you do them you have a real mismatch in size.

If you move your #1 CB in to cover him then your #3 guy may have to cover Miller or Wims or Ridley or Gabriel and again you may create a mismatch.  So IMHO not only is he our #1 WR but he's also a guy who can make every other receivers job just a little easier and Mitch's as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soulman said:

I was never one who felt we'd cut him but I did worry about keeping him around after 2020.

If we have the money and cap room to do so I think extending him would be a very good idea.  Last year was in no way indicative of what he's capable of other than his playoff game but clearly Mitch has a huge amount of trust in him and he needs that.  ARob to Mitch could easily be what Jordy Nelson was for Aaron Rodgers for so long.  And ARob is only 26 years old so hell yes extend him if possible.

The other factor is with his ability to line up at any position how does a defense account for him?

If he's in the slot do you use your #3 CB on him whose typically a smaller quicker type.  If you do them you have a real mismatch in size.

If you move your #1 CB in to cover him then your #3 guy may have to cover Miller or Wims or Ridley or Gabriel and again you may create a mismatch.  So IMHO not only is he our #1 WR but he's also a guy who can make every other receivers job just a little easier and Mitch's as well.

Price is a huge factor, but it would be nice to lock up a number one receiver with a ton of experience entering his prime.

Hard to believe this guy is only 25.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Pace will still have to figure out how best to deal with Floyd next spring.

In light of Kevin White’s release in AZ probably taking us out of a comp pick next year I think it’s more and more likely that Floyd gets moved next offseason for maximum value, especially if he has a big season. Guys like Dee Ford and Frank Clark just fetched $17M+ AAV contracts we could never afford for Floyd and were traded for first round compensation. If Floyd finally has that breakout year and we’re never going to be able to keep him beyond 2020 anyway then trading him for a high pick we can replace him with would be a really prudent move for the long term health of the roster even if one we don’t really want to make. If he has a year all year this year comparable to 2nd half Floyd from last year then we could probably get a 2 for him and maybe also a later pick. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

In light of Kevin White’s release in AZ probably taking us out of a comp pick next year I think it’s more and more likely that Floyd gets moved next offseason for maximum value, especially if he has a big season. Guys like Dee Ford and Frank Clark just fetched $17M+ AAV contracts we could never afford for Floyd and were traded for first round compensation. If Floyd finally has that breakout year and we’re never going to be able to keep him beyond 2020 anyway then trading him for a high pick we can replace him with would be a really prudent move for the long term health of the roster even if one we don’t really want to make. If he has a year all year this year comparable to 2nd half Floyd from last year then we could probably get a 2 for him and maybe also a later pick. 

What if they win the Super Bowl, though? Or come close? Complicates things. 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

What if they win the Super Bowl, though? Or come close? Complicates things. 

Sure. Never said any of this would be easy. Pace has to wear both hats though - he has to worry about 2020 and also the long term. The labor status next March could be a significant factor too. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Can't disagree with you that it's very possible Pace could do that.

He hasn't earned Dee Ford or Frank Clark kind of money though so if he decides he wants to remain a Bear he might be had for far less.

• Like 1