Extensions Coming.

dll2000

10 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I would rather he use high picks on R Smith types where you're getting a guaranteed player.  While our OT depth is.. shallow..? We do have 2 decent-good ones, so can take a chance on someone who needs development or recovery from injury.  Hopefully Pace can have success with this roster and keep having results from his mid round picks. 

I've always believed that it doesn't take an entire OL of top picks to make a good one.  What you do need however is a great OL coach who can take late round picks and even UDFAs with the size and basic skills you need and make them better and maybe a little nastier than they played in college.  Nasty and willing to take no crap from anyone seems to me to be how we should like our OL.

It's been interesting reading the Trib's 100 Greatest Bears daily because we've had as many HOF OL as we've had LBs and RBs.   Some we're higher picks and some were not or were simply guys Halas signed before there was a draft but for the most part the OGs were quick and nasty and the OT were huge and nasty.  GSH was not shy about finding nasty football players.....ever.

The '80s Bruise Brothers had two 1st round OTs but our OG and OC were a collection of mid to late round picks and Hilgy was an UDFA.

But Bortz and Becker were like the "nasty brothers" and according to the other OL no one and I mean no one messed with Jimbo Covert. He was stronger than an ox, a former wrestling champion, and pretty much the Olin Kruetz type of that OL.  There's another guy (Covert) who should get HOF recognition along with Hilgenberg and Kruetz.

So we've had some nasty OL over the years going all the way back to the 20s and right up to today.  Long and Whitehair take no prisoners and Ted Larsen may not be a Pro Bowler but he's as mean and nasty as they come.  Much like we had a HOF OL coach in **** Stanfel in the '80s we have Harry H now and I like the job he's doing especially with our two OTs one of whom was a 7th round pick and the other was originally a 4th round pick and our top prospect and backup is an UDFA.

I agree with AZ that because Pace has traded away picks to obtain key additions at higher priority positions the OT spot has been moved to the back burner lately so I'm hoping like hell both Leno and Massie can stay healthy 'cause we're still thin as rice paper behind them for now.  We'll have two 2nds in 2020 and if we don't need to focus on OLB or the Secondary hopefully Pace will find an OT worth taking there.  If he can find one more really good OL in round two I'm gonna lay rose petal in his path wherever he walks.  LOL

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Whitehair is an essential resign for me given Long's age and history...he and Daniels will be very good for a very long time. 

No question. Whitehair is pro bowl caliber and Daniels has all pro potential in near future.

• Like 1