Raiders moving on from Janikowski?

RaidersAreOne

Wish they approached Jano earlier than this as opposed to a week before the opener. Should've had this settled before TC if you had concerns about his back. Now we are working out kickers 6 days before the opener? Just a bad look. Bad way to treat our longest tenured player and franchise leading scorer.

1 hour ago, BigD1123 said:

Seems like I read he just injured his back

Then IR him since we are apparently so concerned. Don't use his injury as an excuse just to get him to take a paycut. That's kinda weak, especially when it's our longest tenured player a week before the season starts.

If the injury is affecting his skills that much, he shouldn't be kicking for us on his current salary or a reduced salary. 

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Then IR him since we are apparently so concerned. Don't use his injury as an excuse just to get him to take a paycut. That's kinda weak, especially when it's our longest tenured player a week before the season starts.

If the injury is affecting his skills that much, he shouldn't be kicking for us on his current salary or a reduced salary. 

You're looking at this wrong IMO. They are trying to insure that he can stay on the roster and IF the back injury becomes something that we having to SIGN, not tryout, another kicker for, then we have the money to do so. It's looking out for Jano and the team. If Reg was just looking out for the team then yes, he'd cut Jano or put him on IR and sign a healthy kicker we don't have to worry about. We have allocated a certain amount to the kicker position, top 5 money in the league in fact, all we are looking for is some sort or assurance that if Jano can't kick that the team can bring in someone that can. I don't blame Jano for wanting to hold on to his money but you can't blame the team for being smart at the position.

Jano has been here for a long time. He's been solid at times and misses some surprising shots sometimes. So the news about Jano possibly being cut loose is bittersweet. I liked what he did for us but he is aging and has a nagging back injury thats causing him issues. Would i like him to stay, of course but as the second highest paid kicker in the league, no thanks. The nfl is a buisness and we have to do whats best for the team. If he takes a pay cut then sure let him stay, if not sorry Jano but the team is bigger than any one individual.

Jano has been limited in practice this week. An agreement between he and the team has been made according to Adam Schefter. I don't know that there is anyone available that could equal his production, but that production isn't worth 4 mil a yr. I think Jano still has a couple of years left in the tank, but I want the Raiders to get a fair deal.

If players can hold out to get more money based off performance, it's only fair that teams are afforded the ability to make moves as well.

Archived