Jets sign former 1st round LB Stephone Anthony

TheKillerNacho

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/9463/stephone-anthony

Likely a response to losing Avery Williamson. He spent last year with Gase in Miami so there is some familiarity there but he just can't seem to get his head around the game as far as I've seen of him.

He had signed with the Falcons last month but I guess he was released earlier this week.

Great athlete, not a terrible "see and chase" linebacker (those guys are a dime a dozen) but he can't diagnose what's happening around him for ****. If he doesn't see something developing before his very eyes, he's not gonna be aware of it. Poor football IQ.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

Field vision/diagnosis was the one big knock on him and those chickens came home to roost almost immediately. He was an ascending player up to the draft due to his athleticism and pedigree and like so many of those Clemson defenders, his skills didn't translate to the pro-level. 

On the other hand, the Saints pulled the plug on him quite early thus not allowing enough time and opportunity to recover.

Edited by Joe

Like @Dome said, poor football IQ. I think there's some asterisk there. 

He is wicked athletic, and actually played a bunch in his Rookie season, but then he got caught on the wrong side of a Defensive Coordinator change, and that change did not suit him well. He struggled to crack the starting lineup in his 2nd season, and then gone. I'm not sure he understood the "new" defensive language very well, but seemed to do rather well in his initial defense, especially as a rookie.

Man, he was fun to watch, and had the first ever blocked FG for a 2pt run back.

• Like 1

A boost to the special teams most likely to compete with McClellan.  I'd bet one of them sticks due to their solid special teams play.

Hewitt, Cashman, Luvu and Langi have all played well and is plenty of depth at ILB.  The Jets DL is probably as deep as any in the NFL and they are better suited for the 4-3 anyway which this kind of forces them to play now without a second ILB next to Mosley and likely for the better.  

Jets lost good special teams players from last year like Kevin Pierre Louis so bring in guys like Anthony and McClellan who are known for their solid special teams play makes sense.

Edited by Rockice_8