GDT Week 1 - Thursday Night Football vs Chiefs

Deadpulse

2 minutes ago, LD696 said:

While this is a noble intention, I don't think the shiny new look of the forums can change the personality of certain posters.

I don't want to delve into this too much, so if you'd like to talk further, PM me. However, I honestly believe if a standard is set, most posters, new and old, will follow suit. Its the nature of having a culture in place. There will always be outliers, but I truly believe setting an example will push others into better and more productive posts. 

4 minutes ago, LD696 said:

DL and LBs. How are they going to figure out the pass rush?

I wonder what kind of fronts they will use, so I will be playing close attention to how the personnel is utilized. There is some versatility in the front 7, but not a ton of guys who can play with their hand in the dirt on the edges every play. I've had a hunch that we would see mostly 3 man lines this season. 

3 minutes ago, iothar said:

I think James has a fine year as well. For some reason I just think Burkhead will have a great year. I can just picture him really doing well.

I think Burkhead is a better all around back than James, but I dont think we start seeing him enough to make a fantasy difference until late in the year.

1 hour ago, iothar said:

If Langi and Butler are out this is going to be a long game. Alex Smith buying time to pass over and over again.

My hope is that the secondary can keep the receivers in check for long enough so the front 7 can get some pressure. If the secondary does not step up to the hype they received in the pre-season, then I agree with you, It'll be a long night.

On the brighter side, I believe this DL and LB corp will be very effective against the ran game.

1 hour ago, tonyto36 said:

1.  With a secondary you can trust to hold up in man coverage, I'm hoping we will see an uptick in blitzing this year.  IIRC Patricia called a significantly higher amount of blitzes in the second half of the year.  Part of that might have just been the QB competition they were playing, but I hope it will carry into this season; particularly earlier in the season than waiting until later.

2.  I think it'll be smarter to just redistribute the plays called with him in mind.  I doubt Brady is going to find any one guy who is similar to him and just repeatedly go at him in bulk like Edelman.   Last year he did a better job (and had better options to) distribute the ball more evenly.   With so many legitimate throwing targets, I think it won't be a huge issue.  The bigger issue with losing Edelman is if Gronk goes down we go from "bad day, 24 points", to "bad day, maybe 13 points".  

3.  He really does look leaner.  In theory I hope it helps his quickness so he can do a better job avoiding the big hits where guys can just tee off on him.

1. I seem to remember last year, whilst playing inexperienced QBs, we kind of just dared them to try and beat us. Apart from Landry Jones, we only rushed 3 or 4 (most of the time) and flooded the field with coverage. Offering easy yards underneath, but not the big play. Meh.

First GDT of the year. Exciting. Hard to see them losing at home with the banner dropping and everything....but the KC rush is tough, and Solders been hurt. Could be close.

Just watched the new Americas Game to warm up for football...Edelman, Blount and Hightower. Fun guys, even Blount comes over as likeable, which is a surprise.

I hate what Costas is saying about OT. Its like the defense isnt the part of the team and playing good defense isnt part of the game. If your overall team is good enough, youll get the ball back in OT regardless. Teams should not live or die on offense alone, your defense needs to be good too. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I hate what Costas is saying about OT. Its like the defense isnt the part of the team and playing good defense isnt part of the game. If your overall team is good enough, youll get the ball back in OT regardless. Teams should not live or die on offense alone, your defense needs to be good too. 

Agree completely, I hated the old OT rules - where a decent kick return and a couple penalties could win the game with a FG - but I think the TD/safety rule is perfect.

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Every time we have a OT someone bring that up. I remember when BB chose to defend against the Jets, so many people thought it was a stupid move, well it didn't work out, but I really think his thinking was spot on. He just betted on his defense.

Archived