Underrated/Hidden Gem Horror Movies

DreamKid

What are some Titles out there that escaped the spotlight or just never got the love they deserved in your opinion?

I'll kick things off with the 1994 Film- Brainscan

Brainscan falls into the "Fun" category when you're evaluating Horror films. It's 90s AF, and throws tropey haymakers at you for it's full duration. It stars 90's Crown Prince Edward Furlong as Michael Brower. Tech savvy rich kid with too much time on his hands, and no parental supervision(for various reasons). He sends away for a hyped up new game called (you guessed it)'BrainScan', at the recommendation of his best friend Kyle(Who reminded me of Luka Modric). Needless to say the game offers more than he expected, and we get an enjoyable film as a result.

As I said, this falls into the "Fun" category. So don't expect The Shining- you won't get it.

Brainscan.jpg

The trailer below. For those who love them. Just needless spoilers imo, but to each their own

One of my friends has a rough list of horror recommendations that he's given the past year. I haven't seen all of these and quite a few are bigger named movies so don't necessarily fit the premise of the thread 100%, but I think it's still good to post as there are still quite a few good under the radar horror movies/shows in there.

A Dark Song
A Field in England
Amsterdamned
Baskin
Berberian Sound Studio
Black Sabbath
Blood and Black Lace
Blood Glacier
Bullet Head
Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror
Burn, Witch, Burn
Cam 
Carriers
Cemetery Man
Chopping Mall
City of the Living Dead
Colossal
Crawl
Creep
Creep 2 
Cub
Cult of Chucky
Curse of Chucky
Darling
Dead & Buried
Death Line
Deep Red
Demon 
Demons
Devilman Crybaby
Dig Two Graves
Don't Deliver Us From Evil
Dust Devil
eXistenZ
Ghost Stories
Ginger Snaps 
Green Room 
Halloween (Original and 2018)
He Never Died
Honeymoon
Horror Noire
Hounds of Love
I Saw the Devil
Ingrid Goes West
Jug Face
Julia's Eyes
Kill Baby Kill
Last Shift
Laurin
Life After Beth
Liquid Sky
Mandy
Marrowbone
Midnighters
Midsommar
Mom and Dad
mother!
Night of the Living Deb
Painless
Phenomena
Premutos: The Fallen Angel
Pyewacket
Raw 
Season of the Witch
Slasher
Sleep Tight
Slugs
Southbound
Stagefright: Aquarius
Suspiria (Original and 2018)
Tenebre
Terrifier
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
The Awful Dr. Orlof
The Bar
The Beyond
The Blackcoat's Daughter
The Burbs
The Canal 
The Devil Bat
The Endless
The Haunting of Hill House
The House by the Cemetery
The House with Laughing Windows
The Invitation
The Lift
The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue
The Loved Ones
The Monster 
The Nightmare
The Return of the Living Dead 
The Ritual 
The Transfiguration
The Voices
Them
Tragedy Girls
Train to Busan 
Unsane
Us
Veronica 
XX
You Might be the Killer

• Like 1

Big variety in that list, it's good.^^^

8 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Creep
Creep 2 

For those that have seen the comedy show 'The League', these movies star one of the main cast members in a great role. Off memory I believe the films are almost 100% found footage, very entertaining. 

The first is better than the second, as is often the case, but the sequel is still decent. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

In addition to that list, I also recommend The Final Girls which is a comedy slasher. Hopefully that's still cool though.

Honestly, it's kind of hard to think of a slasher that doesn't at least have some comedic elements. I don't see why anyone wouldn't qualify such a movie for the thread. Sounds fine to me.

Horror and comedy can blend so easily in part because what scares one person- can amuse another.

I mean The Shining has one of the funniest scenes of all time. Can't post it in here, but everyone remembers the gentleman in the Bear Suit....

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Honestly, it's kind of hard to think of a slasher that doesn't at least have some comedic elements. I don't see why anyone wouldn't qualify such a movie for the thread. Sounds fine to me.

Horror and comedy can blend so easily in part because what scares one person- can amuse another.

I mean The Shining has one of the funniest scenes of all time. Can't post it in here, but everyone remembers the gentleman in the Bear Suit....

reminds me of this:

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

What are some Titles out there that escaped the spotlight or just never got the love they deserved in your opinion?

I'll kick things off with the 1994 Film- Brainscan

Brainscan falls into the "Fun" category when you're evaluating Horror films. It's 90s AF, and throws tropey haymakers at you for it's full duration. It stars 90's Crown Prince Edward Furlong as Michael Brower. Tech savvy rich kid with too much time on his hands, and no parental supervision(for various reasons). He sends away for a hyped up new game called (you guessed it)'BrainScan', at the recommendation of his best friend Kyle(Who reminded me of Luka Modric). Needless to say the game offers more than he expected, and we get an enjoyable film as a result.

As I said, this falls into the "Fun" category. So don't expect The Shining- you won't get it.

Brainscan.jpg

The trailer below. For those who love them. Just needless spoilers imo, but to each their own

Never heard of it but it looks like a fun 90s movie. Also the shining sucks

52 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

For those that have seen the comedy show 'The League', these movies star one of the main cast members in a great role. Off memory I believe the films are almost 100% found footage, very entertaining. 

The first is better than the second, as is often the case, but the sequel is still decent. 

The duplass brothers are some of my favorite director/actors. Their stuff is generally simple concepts but the dialogue is so good. Creep and creep 2 were great

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Also the shining sucks

I like many aspects of it. Nicholson's acting, the score, etc. As an overall piece, I do find it kind of boring. It's more comedy to me than anything else at this point.

It may be the most respected film within the genre though, so it worked for my disclaimer about 'Brainscan' lol.

8 minutes ago, Tyty said:

The duplass brothers are some of my favorite director/actors. Their stuff is generally simple concepts but the dialogue is so good. Creep and creep 2 were great

Creep is a great example of the situations dopey/unaware people get themselves in. I think I read somewhere that the director wanted to blur the line of "Who the actually Creep was", which I don't think he necessarily accomplished, but certainly made a great attempt at. 

Will get back to this thread tomorrow, but I feel like malf and I are the only two on this site who appreciate Return of the Living Dead.  Several of the funniest scenes all-time in that horror movie.  But strictly horror, the one horror movie that exceeded my expectations more than any other was Last Shift.

Might be because it catered to some things that legitimately terrify me, but I feel like that is the most underrated horror movie of ever.

• Like 2

For those who like the "Psychopath toying with potential victims" genre, ATM should work for you. 

The premise is simple. 3 co workers find themselves in an ATM vestibule, with a rather unpleasant mystery person lurking outside. The film seems to be generally quite poorly reviewed, but it's a fine watch imo. Of the movies you'll see like it, ATM is more conceivable than it's peers. Feel free to watch it with friends so you get all their "Nah, this is what I would do in that scenario" nonsense.

ATM_film_poster.jpg

'The Hitcher' is great. One of the best ramp up Horror/Thrillers. Make sure to watch the 1986 film, and not the 2000s remake.  

Most of what goes on seems to come out of nowhere and for no reason. Which turned off many critics. I think it adds a sense of individuality to the film though, and separates it from similar movies that try too hard to make outrageous situations have some sort of meaning or logical origins. It's simple, the kid picks up an awful person- and awful things happen.

Hitchermovieposter.jpg

• Like 3