Underrated/Hidden Gem Horror Movies

DreamKid

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I like many aspects of it. Nicholson's acting, the score, etc. As an overall piece, I do find it kind of boring. It's more comedy to me than anything else at this point.

It may be the most respected film within the genre though, so it worked for my disclaimer about 'Brainscan' lol.

I think Stephen King is very justified in his hatred for the movie. I think I’ve gone into detail on here before as to why

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

'The Hitcher' is great. One of the best ramp up Horror/Thrillers. Make sure to watch the 1986 film, and not the 2000s remake.  

Most of what goes on seems to come out of nowhere and for no reason. Which turned off many critics. I think it adds a sense of individuality to the film though, and separates it from similar movies that try too hard to make outrageous situations have some sort of meaning or logical origins. It's simple, the kid picks up an awful person- and awful things happen.

Hitchermovieposter.jpg

This movie poster is so good lol

9 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

One of my friends has a rough list of horror recommendations that he's given the past year.

You need to tell your friend that he needs to learn the difference between a horror movie and a thriller.  Way, way, way too many thrillers on that list. 

My List of Underrated Horror

Last Shift - Completely thrives with a tiny budget.  Does not need CGI, does not need multiple sets or multiple actors.  It takes a single location and a single lead and cranks up the horror with a Manson type cult back from the dead.  It did things that I have never seen done in horror movies visually that freaked me out.  I'm also terrified of chairs becoming animate, so one part particularly got me.  I wish I could watch it for the first time again because I turned it on late one night just for something to watch and it was about half an hour in before I realized that I was in for a treat. 

Phantasm - Dream horror.  This movi desperately needs to be remade by someone who understands what made the original so great and who has talent.  Whether or not by accident, by sucking or by being genius, the first movie did a fantastic job of making the whole thing feel disjointed enough to actually be like watching a dream.  I've never seen a movie that just so suddenly shifts focus and changes everything on its head before.  It does not follow basic plot structures.  These aspects I learned on second/third/fourth viewings.  When I was a kid, this movie terrified me with the flying balls and the mini monsters, but mostly the Tall Man, who is hands down the most underrated horror icon ever.  Please take a huge suspension of disbelief pill before you watch this movie.  There is one scene, maybe two scenes, that are VERY outdated.  Please remember this was the tiniest budget of tiniest budgets. 

The Ritual - Best Netflix original film.  Some damn creepy moments.  Makes the woods scary again. 

The Blob (1988) - Some fantastic practical effects. 

Ravenous - Lots of dark humor in this one, but the moment this movie decided to show you it was horror is a great moment. 

The Changeling - Most underrated horror movie of the 80's. 

Krampus - Although this is mostly horror, and best watched on Christmas, it has a scene that is extremely awesome in every way. 

Rec - Don't know if this is underrated/hidden, but for people who don't watch foreign horror, this is one you should make an exception for.  One of the better zombie movies of the past 20 years. 

In the Mouth of Madness - Unfortunately, a lot of this feels really dated, but pure cosmic dread in this one. 

The Prince of Darkness - Also very dated with some baaaaaad acting, but it's imperative that everybody watch all three of Carpenter's Apocalypse trilogy. 

The Innkeepers - This movie is 95% set up.  There is very little horror except for the final five minutes, but the payoff for the five minutes is worth it. 

Feast - Lots of crude humor with a Tony Scott/Tarantino wannabe style, but cool creature effects. 

The House of the Devil - Great sendup to 80's grindhouse/straight to VHS type horror movies. 

Dog Soldiers - Excellent werewolf design/practical effects. 

The Wailing - I'm still not sure I know what happened here, but good foreign horror nonetheless. 

John Dies at the End - You won't know what you're watching, but you'll like it. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 2

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

i'll just tell him that someone on the internet takes his list too seriously and needs to get over themselves

You need to get over your own self.  You don't call a thriller a horror movie.  Do you call a butt a teaspoon?  You call things what they are otherwise chaos. 

Here is my list

Body Snatcher (1943): Awesome movie and few have seen it, freaking sweet and was made a very very long time ago.

tumblr_mskarwfyKZ1qzr8nao1_500.jpg

Manhunter 1986: Super underrated, WAY better than Red Dragon it is not even close.  

manhunter-still-750x410.jpg

Funny Games: Super underrated and is quite scary, is a remake but this one is better than the other I feel.  

844ff5c4919346e9dbb50a93eda10485.jpg

It Follows (2014): Pretty good idea an dis quite creative, I liked it and worth a watch.

itfollows.jpg

Alice Sweet Alice: Cool movie and visually there is a lot of striking stuff in it.

Alice-Sweet-Alice.jpg

Some other good ones that are pretty underrated:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
One Hour Photo

Byzantium
REC (2007 Foreign)
The Witch (2015)

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

My List of Underrated Horror

Last Shift - Completely thrives with a tiny budget.  Does not need CGI, does not need multiple sets or multiple actors.  It takes a single location and a single lead and cranks up the horror with a Manson type cult back from the dead.  It did things that I have never seen done in horror movies visually that freaked me out.  I'm also terrified of chairs becoming animate, so one part particularly got me.  I wish I could watch it for the first time again because I turned it on late one night just for something to watch and it was about half an hour in before I realized that I was in for a treat. 

Phantasm - Dream horror.  This movi desperately needs to be remade by someone who understands what made the original so great and who has talent.  Whether or not by accident, by sucking or by being genius, the first movie did a fantastic job of making the whole thing feel disjointed enough to actually be like watching a dream.  I've never seen a movie that just so suddenly shifts focus and changes everything on its head before.  It does not follow basic plot structures.  These aspects I learned on second/third/fourth viewings.  When I was a kid, this movie terrified me with the flying balls and the mini monsters, but mostly the Tall Man, who is hands down the most underrated horror icon ever.  Please take a huge suspension of disbelief pill before you watch this movie.  There is one scene, maybe two scenes, that are VERY outdated.  Please remember this was the tiniest budget of tiniest budgets. 

The Ritual - Best Netflix original film.  Some damn creepy moments.  Makes the woods scary again. 

The Blob (1988) - Some fantastic practical effects. 

Ravenous - Lots of dark humor in this one, but the moment this movie decided to show you it was horror is a great moment. 

The Changeling - Most underrated horror movie of the 80's. 

Krampus - Although this is mostly horror, and best watched on Christmas, it has a scene that is extremely awesome in every way. 

Rec - Don't know if this is underrated/hidden, but for people who don't watch foreign horror, this is one you should make an exception for.  One of the better zombie movies of the past 20 years. 

In the Mouth of Madness - Unfortunately, a lot of this feels really dated, but pure cosmic dread in this one. 

The Prince of Darkness - Also very dated with some baaaaaad acting, but it's imperative that everybody watch all three of Carpenter's Apocalypse trilogy. 

The Innkeepers - This movie is 95% set up.  There is very little horror except for the final five minutes, but the payoff for the five minutes is worth it. 

Feast - Lots of crude humor with a Tony Scott/Tarantino wannabe style, but cool creature effects. 

The House of the Devil - Great sendup to 80's grindhouse/straight to VHS type horror movies. 

Dog Soldiers - Excellent werewolf design/practical effects. 

The Wailing - I'm still not sure I know what happened here, but good foreign horror nonetheless. 

John Dies at the End - You won't know what you're watching, but you'll like it. 

I agree on REC 2007, well worth a watch.  PS Manuela Velasco is freaking hot, has a little Marissa Tomei thing going on.  

I will have to watch Phantasm, never seen that before.  PS the person that remade Suspria freaking SUCKED.  They had good actresses in it but still it was awful especially the end.  The original is so cool and unique, that intro is freaking classic and one of a kind not to mention the cinematography which is standout, the remake yeah not so much.

• Like 2

I'm not a huge horror movie fan, but the GF is, so I've seen my fair share at this point. The one that Always sticks in my head as one I thoroughly enjoyed was "You're Next". Loved the main character (she's awesome), and while there are a couple of instances of weird screenwriting decisions (one character taking a nap in the middle of everything was slightly peculiar, as I think that even given the mental and emotional stress, it just seems like a highly unlikely decision), the screenplay is largely on point. 

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

Not really underrated, but is Annihilation considered a horror movie?

I'd call it sci fi horror, yes.  But that movie is not hidden, and it certainly isn't a gem.  Biggest tub of pretentious drivel I've ever had to endure. 

• Like 1