Preseason Week 3: Giants vs. Bengals

Giants4eva

Game 3 of the 'does not count' season. So far I have absolutely loved what ive seen from DJ and the rookies. Starting oline has been exemplary. And even a couple guys who are fighting for some backup spots on the oline have impressed me. What im looking for tonight is pop from our starting defence. Im still on the fence with how our line has done. I really haven't seen much of a push up front or even much disruption. Its starting to make me a bit nervous.

My focus on tonights game -

1- DJ.. wanna see if he can make it 3 straight great performances. See if he can overcome adversity like he did last week with the 2 fumbles. So far he's done outstanding.

2- Defensive line generating pressure or disruption. The 1's in focus if they play a few series tonight.

3- Do we have a Sam Beal siting tonight ?

4- Looks to me in light of the Tate suspension and Coleman injury that Cody Latimer and Bennie Fowler are gonna make this team. Wanna see if we have another guy (Darius Slayton where are u?) whom can make some plays from the WR position to challenge them. Really think Alonzo Russell is a guy I like a lot. Love the effort and his size he brings to the table.

5- Who challenges Gallman for backup.

Edited by Giants4eva

Only caught some of the game last night. My collective final thoughts on last nights game.

1- Our starting defence is in trouble. Im sorry but we are gonna have to put up some serious points in order to stay alive in the first few weeks of the opening season. Andy Dalton was picking us apart like we weren't even there. And this has gone on every game so far this preseason. A lot of work to be done by this D in order to get their butts in gear.

2- Daniel Jones... its official.. this kid is the real deal. He absolutely impressed the hell out of me again last night. Dude was making it almost look easy against the Bengals starting defence. Throwing into some tight windows and also showing he can roll out of the pocket. His is as of right now the very best QB of this rookie class that came out. He's ahead of Murray, ahead of Haskins and definitely leaps and bounds ahead of Drew Lock.

3- Didn't really see enough last night to say to anyone is gonna be a good competition to Gallman at backup. Perkins was decent.

4- Alonzo Russell has to make this team and possibly Britton Golden. Golden muffed a catch last night that led to a Bengal TD but the kid still showed he has ability. Gonna be interesting to see what WRs are on this roster come final cut down day.

5- Sam Beal is becoming a waste of time. If u cannot stay healthy and are constantly hurt, u are not a good player. Corey Ballentine and Julian Love are showing Beal is now officially expendable.

6- This is the best offensive line that Eli has had since the Brotherhood (Diehl, Seubert, O'Hara, Snee, McKenzie). They are going to make us win games this season against some teams ppl don't think we have a chance against.

Edited by Giants4eva

I only got to see 30 seconds of the game as my girlfriend was pulling me away from the Dish network tent at the Great NYS Fair.

I did see all of Jones’ passes on YouTube and was once again impressed by his arm, decision making and poise

Based on previous games, I think Alonzo Russell should get the nod over Bennie Fowler. I think it should it Sheppard, Tate, Latimer, Slayton, Russell, Jones

The defense is going to struggle. It’s an extremely young group. They’re going to have to get creative and bring pressure.

I've watched every snap of all 3 preseason games so far. Last night a few things stood out:

-Dexter Lawrence is really, really good. He's going to be a force. One of the early drives of the game he just took over and made seemingly every play by myself.

-Ballentine struggled last night. Was playing off and let a lot of things happen in front of him. He also made a few really nice plays as well- 2 pass breakups I believe. The athleticism was on display again, this time while tackling as well, which was good to see. He didn't let anything behind him, which was good. He's definitely got more work to do, but my hopes are still very high for him.

-Julian Love meanwhile has improved a lot since preaseason week 1. He played great last night, even with the horrible bodies at CB the Giants were trotting out. 

-Xman was probably the most impressive to me on defense. Didn't win in any new ways than what he has used before, but you like to see a guy show he can get to the QB, and he did so very quickly.

-Jones was throwing dimes again. Couldn't be happier with how he played. No turnovers, and he recovered beautifully from that huge hit he took.

-I was singing the praises of the OL, but they struggled last night. Hernandez got hit with 3 penalties I believe and stuggled against Geno Atkins (though to be fair, everyone struggles against Geno Atkins). Zeitler got hit with a penalty. Solder let Lawson by him and led to the big hit on Jones. Gotta pass protect better. In good news, they were still clearing paths in the run game. Twice last night we had moderate gains that would be touchdowns if 26 was playing.

-Lots of guys fighting for the last 1 or 2 WR spots. Here's how I see it shaking out: Golden Tate and Sterling Shepard are locks. Slayton had a really nice catch last night and is a recent addition with some investment, so he stays. Cody Latimer is a good special teamer and good-great deep threat, so he stays. Russel Shepard is a stud special teamer and has shown some serious wheels this preseason, so he stays as well. That is 5, so space for one more. I think it is going to be Bennie Fowler. I think Fowler is really underrated and has shown up this preseason. If we carry an extra receiver due to Tate's suspension, I think it is Alonzo Russell. TJ Jones is too inconsistent, as is Brittan Golden. Reggie White Jr will get stashed on the practice squad. He's similar to Travis Rudolph from a few years ago.

-TE is an interesting battle. Engram and Ellison are locks. After them, I think Simonson, Dickerson, and Conrad are fighting for 2 spots. Simonson and Conrad have both looked poor while Dickerson has shown up. I think Dickerson makes the team as the  3rd TE and it's a toss up for the last spot.

• Like 1