2019 Roster Injury Tracker

DreamKid

32 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Given that the Steelers gave up a 1st round pick for him, we'd have to give up maybe a 1st and a 4th to get him to outbid the Steelers, because they'll have a worse record than us. No thanks. 

I think he’s going to be an elite safety. I graded him just below Derwin James coming out. Had we had the path for him to get onto the field when he was on the block I for sure would have given up a 1st/4th for James and so I would’ve done the same for Fitzpatrick too. Granted when he was available I would’ve given two 2nds max because the need with Elliot, Clark, and Jefferson all as safeties.. wasn’t there.

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

@Danand Was your injury on or beyond this level? 

Fortunately I can say it wasn't. It was only when the foot was completely twisted up under the leg, that there was concern about the blood flow. I don't know what the hell they did to fix Tony's leg, but he is either going to be the bionic man, or say something like "this isn't even my final form" (For the Dragonball Z fans)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Danand said:

Fortunately I can say it wasn't. It was only when the foot was completely twisted up under the leg, that there was concern about the blood flow. I don't know what the hell they did to fix Tony's leg, but he is either going to be the bionic man, or say something like "this isn't even my final form" (For the Dragonball Z fans)

It looks like he's going to have a long road ahead of him. Really going to be interesting to see how the rest of his time with us plays out.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I'm guessing they must have repaired his LCL too, because surgical drains like that aren't standard in a routine ACL repair afaik

23 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I'm guessing they must have repaired his LCL too, because surgical drains like that aren't standard in a routine ACL repair afaik

But what is the reasoning behind the tubes? Do we have any surgeons in here? Even with knee surgery I can't understand why the knee needs help with circulating the blood. 

The only time I can recall having heard of that was when a player in Denmark disclocated his hip (looked insane, completely crooked) and it was reported that he had tubes inserted because some major arteries where damaged/torn when the injury occured

13 hours ago, Danand said:

But what is the reasoning behind the tubes? Do we have any surgeons in here? Even with knee surgery I can't understand why the knee needs help with circulating the blood. 

The only time I can recall having heard of that was when a player in Denmark disclocated his hip (looked insane, completely crooked) and it was reported that he had tubes inserted because some major arteries where damaged/torn when the injury occured

I’m not a surgeon but I can imagine being a professional athlete he’s looking to expedite his recovery and that blood circulation device might be a part of increasing his recovery time by eliminating some of the swelling. To get him into training faster.

But that’s just an assumption. As I’m not a doctor.

11 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m not a surgeon but I can imagine being a professional athlete he’s looking to expedite his recovery and that blood circulation device might be a part of increasing his recovery time by eliminating some of the swelling. To get him into training faster.

But that’s just an assumption. As I’m not a doctor.

I know that something quivalent to blood doping in cycling is used treating sprains in soccer players. Somehow their own blood pumped into the injured area helps the healing proces. But if that is the case here, I have no idea. It would be interesting to get a doctors opinion on this, as it seems quite dramatic.

20 minutes ago, Danand said:

I know that something quivalent to blood doping in cycling is used treating sprains in soccer players. Somehow their own blood pumped into the injured area helps the healing process

Injecting plasma into the area of soft tissue injuries is nothing like blood doping. 

Firstly it's legal and an accepted way of treating some injuries.  Secondly it doesn't give a healthy athlete an advantage above what they could normally do.  If you want to read what Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy (the proper name for the procedure you are referencing) is, this is a decent summary

Blood doping (at least in professional cycling where it has been most prevalent) generally refers to a healthy athlete receiving a blood transfusion when it is not medically indicated, to instead boost their bodies oxygen carrying capacity, which makes their muscles work better for longer (for lack of a more accurate, scientific description).  It's most useful in endurance sports (like cycling) and doesn't really do anything in recovery from injury

• Like 3