Surprise Teams of 2019

RaidersAreOne

41 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Anyone thinking MIN could pull a fast one in the North and either win the div or secure a WC spot? Not sure what to make of them

No, we’re a wild card team at best.  Our ceiling is 10 wins.  We won’t win the division because we didn’t fix our offensive line problem.  Drafting a center in the 1st is a nice start but one interior lineman isn’t going to compensate for an aging defense 

10 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

No, we’re a wild card team at best.  Our ceiling is 10 wins.  We won’t win the division because we didn’t fix our offensive line problem.  Drafting a center in the 1st is a nice start but one interior lineman isn’t going to compensate for an aging defense 

That sucks, I like the Vikes. How about Samia, I believe you drafted him? Guard/C. Nasty piece of work.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Steelersfan43 said:

If the Broncos have a very good running game, they might surprise, but they'll need to overtake the Chiefs or Chargers.

It's not the running game, it's the offensive line. Flacco can be great if the O-line is really good and is mediocre when it isn't. Unfortunately, I don't think Denver's is very good. But, I think even average Flacco is good enough to lead that team to playoff contention.

15 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

It's not the running game, it's the offensive line. Flacco can be great if the O-line is really good and is mediocre when it isn't. Unfortunately, I don't think Denver's is very good. But, I think even average Flacco is good enough to lead that team to playoff contention.

I think the Broncos O-line is going to be much better this year with Mike Munchak as their o-line coach.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I think the Broncos O-line is going to be much better this year with Mike Munchak as their o-line coach.

Meh, not if the preseason is anything to go by.

- I've no faith in Garrett Bolles at all, no matter who is coaching him. He's not big enough and he is still conceding dumb penalties.
- McGovern has moved to Center where he struggled late last year, and he's had snap issues all the way through TC. Big void left with Paradis leaving
- Ron Leary is supposed to be our RG but hasn't been healthy for much of camp. He wasn't very good even before he tore his Achilles last year

Dalton Risner looks really good from what we've seen at LG and you'd hope Ju'wan James will be a good player at RT given the money we gave him. Still - Munchak is an excellent Coach but not a miracle worker. If this unit is even league average I would be stunned.

As much as it pains me to say it, I can't see the Broncos surprising anyone. We got too many question marks across the entire Offense and we've got big, big issues at ILB (that decision to trade back and not take Devin Bush will be looked at for a very long time if Noah Fant and Drew Lock don't pan out). 

Considering all of these things, and the fact we play the Chiefs and Chargers twice, I can't see anything better than a 9 win season for the Broncos and that is a substantial push. 7-9 in my opinion.

• Like 1

FO's take on Denver's chances, below 8 wins. Specifically Flacco related;

"He has more counting stats -- completions, attempts, yards, etc. -- than any player who has never been to the Pro Bowl, in an era when guys like Matt Cassell, Vince Young, and David Garrard have made trips out there. He has been below average in adjusted net yards per attempt for four straight seasons while still maintaining his stranglehold on a starting job, making him only the 11th quarterback since the merger to pull off that feat, alongside luminaries like Mark Sanchez, Joey Harrington, and Rick Mirer.

He is the failed completion king. He hasn't been even an adequate quarterback since 2014, and the Broncos gave things up to trade for him? Drew Lock might not be ready yet, but he may be ready one day. Flacco ... no, it feels like John Elway grasping at straws to fill a position he has only successfully managed when arguably the greatest quarterback of all time was surprisingly available in free agency."

"

There are going to be some growing pains as players are asked to do different things than they're used to. That might last six weeks, it might last two years, but it probably means the defense will take a half-step back before going forward. Plus, they don't have the middle linebackers that Fangio really loves and are crucial to his scheme. Fangio has had guys like Sam Mills and Vaughn Johnson; Ray Lewis and Bart Scott; Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman. Even Danny Trevathan and Roquan Smith are better than Josey Jewell and Todd Davis.

No, I think the defense takes a step back and the offense doesn't rise above mediocre."

Scathing. I didn't think he was THAT bad, and yes, we've seen how a really good OL coach can make a huge difference

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

Arizona. They're quietly making some interesting moves. Most recently claiming DL Jonathan Bullard who played respectably for Chicago, but let's be real their DL is so stacked he was the odd man out in terms of talent but I could see him being a quality contributor for AZ.

I dont expect them to be a playoff team but I could actually see them going close to .500 this season.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:37 PM, Steelersfan43 said:

The lions could surprise,but at the same time I do not have much confidence in Matt Patricia right now.

He's a rocket scientist, you know. Chris Collinsworth reminded us every time the Patriots played on Sunday night.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gmen said:

He's a rocket scientist, you know. Chris Collinsworth reminded us every time the Patriots played on Sunday night.

Turns out being a rocket scientist is the not the same as being competent enough of a DC to not allow a team to put up 50 on you in a Superbowl....imagine that

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Meh, not if the preseason is anything to go by.

- I've no faith in Garrett Bolles at all, no matter who is coaching him. He's not big enough and he is still conceding dumb penalties.
- McGovern has moved to Center where he struggled late last year, and he's had snap issues all the way through TC. Big void left with Paradis leaving
- Ron Leary is supposed to be our RG but hasn't been healthy for much of camp. He wasn't very good even before he tore his Achilles last year

Dalton Risner looks really good from what we've seen at LG and you'd hope Ju'wan James will be a good player at RT given the money we gave him. Still - Munchak is an excellent Coach but not a miracle worker. If this unit is even league average I would be stunned.

As much as it pains me to say it, I can't see the Broncos surprising anyone. We got too many question marks across the entire Offense and we've got big, big issues at ILB (that decision to trade back and not take Devin Bush will be looked at for a very long time if Noah Fant and Drew Lock don't pan out). 

Considering all of these things, and the fact we play the Chiefs and Chargers twice, I can't see anything better than a 9 win season for the Broncos and that is a substantial push. 7-9 in my opinion.

Maybe the Broncos O-line will not be good, but it's just hard to imagine for me to see an O-line with Mike Munchak as their O-line coach being weak.

Edited by Steelersfan43