Preseason Week 3 - GDT - SF 49ers @ KC Chiefs

oldman9er

4 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I just read an article on 49erswebzone suggesting we should try and trade Pettis. There has been a lot of over-reacting going on this offseason. While I agree Pettis needs to improve, I find it highly unlikely we move on from Pettis so soon. 

I mean he's also not untradeable, if Pettis was that convincing to Shanny and staff I dont know if 2 receivers would have been in their first 3 picks this past draft.

Richie James looks pretty legit, I'd like to see him with a role in this offense. that spin move after the comeback route was sooo dirty. Bourne and Matthews has some nice plays. I still have no clue who's the odd man out of this receiving group. 

random observation: Dan Brunskill had several really nice blocks on the jeff wilson runs throughout the game lined up (i'm believe) both the guard and tackle positions. Kinda cool to see that versatility. I wouldnt be surprised by a practice squad/surprise 53 man roster spot from him if he grades as good as I thought I saw - who knows, I think its going to be a very interesting cut down day. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I mean he's also not untradeable, if Pettis was that convincing to Shanny and staff I dont know if 2 receivers would have been in their first 3 picks this past draft.

I agree that we would be able to trade him, but I also don’t think we would get the return that would make it worth our while, especially considering we traded up for him. He flashed last year and I think the talk coming from Shanny is strictly to light a fire under him. I still think we would have drafted WRs in this draft regardless of Pettis. Pettis finished last year strong and our staff had no indication that he wasn’t going to continue his growth at the time of the draft. I think Shanny saw a unique player in Hurd that he has big plans for and couldn’t trust that Quise could stay healthy/be a legit receiver you could leave on the field in all situations. Drafting Samuel and Hurd has nothing to do with Pettis imo.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I agree that we would be able to trade him, but I also don’t think we would get the return that would make it worth our while, especially considering we traded up for him. He flashed last year and I think the talk coming from Shanny is strictly to light a fire under him. I still think we would have drafted WRs in this draft regardless of Pettis. Pettis finished last year strong and our staff had no indication that he wasn’t going to continue his growth at the time of the draft. I think Shanny saw a unique player in Hurd that he has big plans for and couldn’t trust that Quise could stay healthy/be a legit receiver you could leave on the field in all situations. Drafting Samuel and Hurd has nothing to do with Pettis imo.

Agreed. Plus, has anyone seen the receiver depth chart? That was pretty brutal by the end of last year. We needed to inject at least 2 new guys. When you add to it that I don't think that Pettis and Hurd are even playing the same position (despite, you know, playing the same position), I don't see how drafting Hurd in particular had anything to do with Pettis. When it comes to Deebo, quite frankly, we just needed a WR2 (at least in my opinion - my thoughts on Goodwin have been pretty well documented at this point on this forum). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, straighthate said:

I think James may be pushing Goodwin off the roster. I’m kind of digging a WR core of all (very) young guys and seeing what happens. I don’t see Mathews making it despite some recent positive comments from the team. 

Pettis, Samuel, Taylor, Bourne, Hurd, James.  Taylor would be our old vet at the ripe old age of 25. 

I just really don’t want to see any of those guys go because there just seems to be some star potential in all of them. Although they all could end up being average at best just as easily. 

Goodwin isn't going anywhere. One, he and James don't really play the same role, so it wouldn't be Goodwin that James pushes off the roster in my opinion unless one of the other guys who can play the Goodwin role was too good to cut as well. Secondarily, it costs more to cut Goodwin than it does to keep him on the roster, so financially, it doesn't make any sense. I'm not a Goodwin fan with regards to him being a receiver 1 or 2, I think he's more of a rotational niche player, but he's certainly one of the top 5 receivers on this roster. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Goodwin isn't going anywhere. One, he and James don't really play the same role, so it wouldn't be Goodwin that James pushes off the roster in my opinion unless one of the other guys who can play the Goodwin role was too good to cut as well. Secondarily, it costs more to cut Goodwin than it does to keep him on the roster, so financially, it doesn't make any sense. I'm not a Goodwin fan with regards to him being a receiver 1 or 2, I think he's more of a rotational niche player, but he's certainly one of the top 5 receivers on this roster. 

Caveat - 

This would not include a trade. While I doubt a trade of Goodwin is likely, it is at least feasible and something that I could see happening. But that's the only way I think he goes anywhere. 

27 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

The crowning of Pettis the clear and obvious #1 receiver for the foreseeable future was pretty rampant around here and other mediums. The potential is there and I’d love to see it don’t get me wrong but everyone from James, Hurd, Samuel, and Bourne are 23/24 with honestly just as intriguing skill sets. Pettis is “the guy” for now but the gap between him and the rest (especially Samuel) is not as great as people were making it seem. 

A Phillip Dorsett trade isn’t out of the question for Pettis if Samuel others prove to be more/equally valuable to us

14 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

A Phillip Dorsett trade isn’t out of the question for Pettis if Samuel others prove to be more/equally valuable to us

Huh? Are you saying a Dorsett type trade (as in, what the Colts did), or are you saying Pettis for Dorsett? I'm assuming it's the former lol. 

I would agree, though I think that doesn't happen until after year 2. You have to be AJ Jenkins level of bad in order to be a first / second round pick that can't see his second season with the team that drafted him (or have off field issues). Even Dorsett got 2 years in Indy.

7 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I wonder how long the Coleman preference will last if their productivity continues to be so disperate

May be in the best interest at that point if Mostert took away from Coleman rather than give the additional carries to Breida. I love Breida, but he just can't hold up physically. He's had injury problems (specifically with that shoulder) since he was in high school. I just don't think that's ever going to change. 40% is probably about right for him. If Coleman struggles, I'd probably split it up more like 45-50 Coleman, 40 Breida, 15-10% for Mostert. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

May be in the best interest at that point if Mostert took away from Coleman rather than give the additional carries to Breida. I love Breida, but he just can't hold up physically. He's had injury problems (specifically with that shoulder) since he was in high school. I just don't think that's ever going to change. 40% is probably about right for him. If Coleman struggles, I'd probably split it up more like 45-50 Coleman, 40 Breida, 15-10% for Mostert. 

I can see that. At least Mostert doesn't seem to be reading blocks quite so hesitantly. Even though there's a sss, it's been pretty painful to watch Coleman interpret blocks. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Huh? Are you saying a Dorsett type trade (as in, what the Colts did), or are you saying Pettis for Dorsett? I'm assuming it's the former lol. 

I would agree, though I think that doesn't happen until after year 2. You have to be AJ Jenkins level of bad in order to be a first / second round pick that can't see his second season with the team that drafted him (or have off field issues). Even Dorsett got 2 years in Indy.

Lol yeah I meant a dorsett type trade. 

4 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

The crowning of Pettis the clear and obvious #1 receiver for the foreseeable future was pretty rampant around here and other mediums. The potential is there and I’d love to see it don’t get me wrong but everyone from James, Hurd, Samuel, and Bourne are 23/24 with honestly just as intriguing skill sets. Pettis is “the guy” for now but the gap between him and the rest (especially Samuel) is not as great as people were making it seem. 

I feel like it's too early to count on Samuel to be THE guy as well. He'll face his share of rookie struggles, in all likelihood. If he doesn't, then let's submit his name for the hall of fame already. He's a rookie, he'll be eased in and be more of a niche player early on, I suppose. I feel like Pettis isn't someone who will take the criticism poorly. If I had to guess, I'd say it does light some kind of fire under him, and he's welcoming the challenge. But it's unrealistic to expect him to change aspects that don't belong to his game. Maybe the criticism forces him to improve certain areas, but it won't change him totally. He'll never be a 50/50 jump ball guy. He's slight, the contested catches aren't for him, no matter how much Kyle criticizes him. But he'll do other things that other receivers don't do well. I feel like he has the ability to get open in areas other WRs aren't going to. He'll have his shots. And Jimmy will use him. Jimmy will use all the receivers differently. If we're in need of a jump ball, go to Hurd, not Pettis. On certain plays, you'll have Pettis open on the outside. Others, Taylor open on the inside. Kittle. Juice. Jet. Breida. Deebo. Quise. I'm not looking for any of these guys to be a number 1 (except Kittle, though). I feel like, with Kyle's creativity and the ensemble of talent we now have, there will always be someone open for Jimmy to throw to. Now, the question is getting enough protection for Jimmy to be able to get the ball to that open guy. I think there's a good chance we don't get a 1000 yards receiver this year, not even Kittle. We honestly have so many good receiving options. If someone steps up, great! But we don't need it to have a top 10 offense.

• Like 3