Preseason Week 3 - GDT - SF 49ers @ KC Chiefs

oldman9er

13 hours ago, Forge said:

Goodwin isn't going anywhere. One, he and James don't really play the same role, so it wouldn't be Goodwin that James pushes off the roster in my opinion unless one of the other guys who can play the Goodwin role was too good to cut as well. Secondarily, it costs more to cut Goodwin than it does to keep him on the roster, so financially, it doesn't make any sense. I'm not a Goodwin fan with regards to him being a receiver 1 or 2, I think he's more of a rotational niche player, but he's certainly one of the top 5 receivers on this roster. 

Yeah I don’t agree with James not being the guy to push Goodwin out. If you’re talking by exact position, then you are correct. But if you’re talking about a guy who can get downfield, I think James has shown he can do that this camp, which makes Goodwin expendable. That said, I agree Goodwin is not getting released. I think a very late round trade is much more likely. 

7 hours ago, straighthate said:

Yeah I don’t agree with James not being the guy to push Goodwin out. If you’re talking by exact position, then you are correct. But if you’re talking about a guy who can get downfield, I think James has shown he can do that this camp, which makes Goodwin expendable. That said, I agree Goodwin is not getting released. I think a very late round trade is much more likely. 

And I think without question, the most likely outcome is that he's a 49er in 2019. 

I'm still in Goodwin's corner as being a fine #2 speed option that opens the levels underneath for others. There can be so much underrated value in what his role can be. I don't think it fair to expect instant greatness from the rookies, and I don't really expect either to become more than complementary #2s. James obviously did make a strong case last game for a spot. Otherwise, I have found him to be more JAG hit or miss, and not a big whoop cut loose or kept. 

Not sure how to shake out the roster, so I look now to what I'd prefer to do. 

Pettis and Goodwin at the top.. Samuel.. then Hurd.. then Taylor.. 

At TE, with Kittle and K Smith.. maybe slot Hurd in as a "TE" to open up a spot at WR for the last hurrah James vs Bourne show. It's not as if another TE3 has impressed. 

I don't get caught up in XYZ wideout positions anymore.. and have no lingering problem accepting the split out TE/WR role. Tired of coddling players. If they can run and catch, run and catch, or kick rocks. :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I'm still in Goodwin's corner as being a fine #2 speed option that opens the levels underneath for others. There can be so much underrated value in what his role can be. I don't think it fair to expect instant greatness from the rookies, and I don't really expect either to become more than complementary #2s. James obviously did make a strong case last game for a spot. Otherwise, I have found him to be more JAG hit or miss, and not a big whoop cut loose or kept. 

Not sure how to shake out the roster, so I look now to what I'd prefer to do. 

Pettis and Goodwin at the top.. Samuel.. then Hurd.. then Taylor.. 

At TE, with Kittle and K Smith.. maybe slot Hurd in as a "TE" to open up a spot at WR for the last hurrah James vs Bourne show. It's not as if another TE3 has impressed. 

I don't get caught up in XYZ wideout positions anymore.. and have no lingering problem accepting the split out TE/WR role. Tired of coddling players. If they can run and catch, run and catch, or kick rocks. :P 

Yup, it's Kittle as the hugely obvious TE1 (and number 1 offensive weapon, of course!) and then I too really like Smith. His blocking is solid and his hands are quite good. What's more, it seems to be obvious he knows how to get guys set to avoid illegal formation penalties. I think Smith has had a very solid camp and preseason. He and Hurd will likely develop into very nice RZ threats... (but that's not all Hurd will be, IMO).

• Like 1

Quite a few battles still tbd, who do you prefer to keep? 

Damontre Moore vs Ronald Blair

Adrian Colbert vs Marcell Harris 

Kendrick Bourne vs Jordan Matthews 

Kaden Smith vs Ross Dwelley 

Emanuel Mosley vs DJ Reed 

Jeremiah Voalaga vs Julian Taylor

Azeez Al-Shaair vs Elijah Lee vs David Mayo

Najee Toran vs Dan Brunskill 

Justin Skule vs Sam Young

4 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

:D:D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Emanuel Mosley vs DJ Reed (Both)

Najee Toran vs Dan Brunskill (Meh)

Justin Skule vs Sam Young (I guess?)

16 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

FWIW- 

Moore vs Blair isn't a thing to me. Moore is fighting for a roster spot somewhere, maybe here, maybe not. But I don't think he's pushing our top pass rushing edge backup out of his job right now. 

Colbert vs Harris. Don't love either, and if I had my way, they'd probably both be gone and I'd keep Exum. Both of them will make the team, though Colbert is likely to do it in a way that he's unhappy with. 

Bourne V Matthews - My preference is Bourne, but there's a chance neither makes the roster. I think Matthews has the edge (Bourne has simply made too many mistakes). 

Smith v Dwelley - Don' t think that is a thing. Both are going to make the roster. 

Moseley v Reed - I actually come down on the Moseley side here. He's just been better and Reed doesn't have the track record to get the benefit of the doubt. Reed may have an edge because of STs, but faced with this decision, I actually chose the former. Good chance both make the roster, but if I had to choose between the two...

Voalaga V Taylor - I don't think that this is a thing, though I could be wrong. Taylor is an interior defender (and the only other person on the roster besides Jones that tips the scales at 300 to help support the middle), Voalaga better suited on the edge. 

Al-Shaair v Lee v Mayo - Interestingly, Al Shaair is the best linebacker of the bunch, but Lee and Mayo may have the inside track. Depends on the emphasis on special teams, the team's fear of losing Al-Shaair if they try and get him to the PS, etc. Y2 and I probably had the biggest difference of opinion here. 

Toran v Brunskill - Is this for the PS? I don't think that either makes the actual roster, or at least, I hope not. 

Skule v Young - I think Young's job is pretty safe. No way Skule is ready to be on the roster. 

5 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Ronald Blair - Moore is a typical guy that looks good against second and third stringers but simply lacks any physical tools to make it in the league.

Honestly a wash to me. Harris is better in the box but doesn't offer much in coverage. Colbert is better in coverage but makes too many mental misstakes. Could throw in Exum in this to make it a trio.

Matthews - Different players for different positions. Matthews will probably be the slot receiver till Taylor comes back. Also could both be gone if we feel confident going with Hurd, Samuel, Pettis, Goodwin and James to start the season as actives.

Smith - Don't think Dwelley is anything special and while Smith ain't either he just got drafted. Toilolo has been with the first team most of the time so i think he has a shot to be the 2 with either of these as the 3.

I think both could make it depending on K'waun's health. If i had to choose right now it probably would be Moseley but its close.

Really no idea what we will go with at D-line. Guys like Voalaga, Taylor, Street and Givens have flashed some but really don't think any should be counted as safe.

Al-Shaair should make it as a LB and i could see one of the other two make it as a ST'er

Neither. If we want to keep an interior O-line guy it should be Reynolds but i would prefer to pick someone else up if we want another guy besides Garland.

Young without a doubt. Skule isn't ready to be the swing tackle.

• Like 1