Carolina v 49ers, week 1 GDT: Football is Back!

Forge

Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most

• Solomon Thomas
    • Reuben Foster
    • Marquise Goodwin
    • Pierre Garcon
    • George Kittle
    • Robbie Gould...because kickers are people too

Not really surprised nor particularly worried about our performance. I said during preseason that the first month would probably be rough as we would have to find our way as team, players and coaches alike. But I still think we'll be a much more competitive team than last year when all is said and done. First game hasn't not been a good barometer of success around here the last couple of years. Why should this year be any different...

Just now, John232 said:

I also think there is a very good chance we see Hoyer get injured by game 12 at least. He's going to get annihilated behind this interior line.  

Yeah, that's a good point. Should have that caveat in there. I can only imagine Beathard in that situation. Hoyer does a good job of getting rid of the ball...beathard struggle with pocket awareness and maybe holding on too long. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I will say this, as annoying as the 4th down calls were, I'd rather have an over aggressive coach he needs to learn to soften up then a coach who never takes a chance. Also, I'm pretty sure all the fourth downs were in spots on the field where it' statistically "better" to go for it versus punting the ball. 

Agreed, I love that we have an aggressive coach. Now we just need to execute. If we are over the 50 in a 4th and short situation and out of field goal range, I'm never going to argue with going for it. 

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

Not sure if Sarcasm, but that's the hope! It was also a partial reminder to myself. lol . 

No. No. I meant it.  The team has growing to do. But there were still a bunch of penalties, including several just lining up wrong. Shanny needs to own that, and fix it. He''s HC now, not OC.  Add in the delay of game or TOs when he didn't look prepared with what he wanted to run in that situation. Went away from the run when it was working so well early.  And in my mind at least two questionable 4th down plays where he went "fancy" instead of just pure power.  I do think he too has some growing to do.

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Not really surprised nor particularly worried about our performance. I said during preseason that the first month would probably be rough as we would have to find our way as team, players and coaches alike. But I still think we'll be a much more competitive team than last year when all is said and done. First game hasn't not been a good barometer of success around here the last couple of years. Why should this year be any different...

If there's one silver lining, that's it. Oh, and Hyde being more effective early on. 

23 minutes ago, John232 said:

If we're speaking purely about play calling sure, it's not been good.  But in general his game management and clock management has been bad. Being an OC for years doe snot somehow equal a smooth transition into being a HC. So when he says "chink in the armor" is to imply that he had any armor as a HC to begin with. Not just a play caller. At this point, i'm just wait and see with Shanny and I'm not liking what I see, but it's also early for everyone and there's a lot of growing that has to be done. 

But yeah, one of my bigger concerns going into this season with Shanny is if the duties of a HC and while still calling the plays would be too much. 

Well that's the thing, though - @big9erfan wasn't talking about game management or clock management, just Shanahan's decision to go away from the run game at crucial times, which was his crux in the Super Bowl. So, I thought that was what you were responding to, so my bad. If you're including game management and clock management, then I agree - he has lots of room to grow as this was his first real opportunity. No argument there. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Aside from Beadles, our pass protection actually held up fairly well. Don't recall our bookends ever getting beat. 

It's depressing to think we went from a Iupati-Goodwin-Boone interior to the ones we have had the last three years. 

Yeah, I think Iupati still has some issues in pass-pro, but he is so much better than Beadles. I wish we'd locked him up instead of that turd Anthony Davis. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Aside from Beadles, our pass protection actually held up fairly well. Don't recall our bookends ever getting beat. 

It's depressing to think we went from a Iupati-Goodwin-Boone interior to the ones we have had the last three years. 

It's depressing to think how much we complained about Iupati-Goodwin-Boone at that. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

It's depressing to think how much we complained about Iupati-Goodwin-Boone at that. 

During those years the team was so great that we used to nitpick on things to complain. Now the team is so bad, we try to look hard for any silver lining LOL. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Well that's the thing, though - @big9erfan wasn't talking about game management or clock management, just Shanahan's decision to go away from the run game at crucial times, which was his crux in the Super Bowl. So, I thought that was what you were responding to, so my bad. If you're including game management and clock management, then I agree - he has lots of room to grow as this was his first real opportunity. No argument there. 

Yeah, you're right. A bit of a misinterpretation on my part. But yeah, I can see why he got away from the run game though, it was solid, but not really explosive and they almost connected a couple times on some big plays...then it just seemed that they worked themselves into a hole with the Panthers just working the clock down  Got forced into passing the rest of the game. 

However..it's nice to see Hyde get involved in the pass game. He looked good!

7 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I have said this multiple times throughout this game, I honestly don't think that the issue was the play calling so much as it was the execution. Hoyer missed some wide open guys, Goodwin dropped a perfect pass that would have set us up inside the five on the first drive, that 4th down run to Juice would have been successful if our guard had not completely whiffed on his block. @48 1/2ers didn't agree with me on that play where Taylor was running down the goal line to the pylon, but he was wide open on another third down play that would have gone for a first down. Our interior line is garbage, so I'm hoping we'll see Tomlinson and Magnuson at the G positions sooner than later; if nothing else this will let us see what we have in these guys. I think with the exception of Tartt our secondary played better than most expected. For as long as they were on the field, our defense played pretty well. We need to be able to sustain drives on offense and execute the play calls if we want to have any success on offense. My only gripe with the play calling over all was completely abandoning the running game and maybe the screen pass on 4th at the goal line, which one could argue would have been successful if Hoyer didn't put the ball in the dirt. 

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.  We all gotta keep in mind that this is an essentially brand new team, just put together.I think I read 16 holdovers from last year-end's roster and 37 completely new guys. That includes 12 rookies which might be near some kind of record for rookies on a team's 53. I thought early in the spring that expectations were too low, and that lately they had become too high.  I think we'll get better. I think we'll win a few games. I think we'll lose a lot.  I expect we'll be a whole lot better next year.

Archived