Carolina v 49ers, week 1 GDT: Football is Back!

Forge

Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most

• Solomon Thomas
    • Reuben Foster
    • Marquise Goodwin
    • Pierre Garcon
    • George Kittle
    • Robbie Gould...because kickers are people too

8 pressures and Cam still didn't look that great today.  

I was pretty excited before the game started.  I know we're a young team now, but man....  It was tough to watch.  

That said, if a few things went the other way, this game could have been much different.  Goodwin catches that bomb.  Tartt actually tackles a guy instead of trying to hug someone you don't like.  They actually call the facemask when the Panthers picked up a 1st down in the redzone(Can't remember the players, but the runner pulled our defensive guy down to the ground by his facemask and then picked up the first down).  I could go on and on.  But, they didn't go the other way and that's the difference between a good team and a bad one.  We're still really bad.   

So I know Shanahan said Tomlinson still doesn't have the system or the offense down, but you kind of have to throw him in soon regardless right? I mean maybe not next week, but possibly against the Rams? You just can't continue trotting out Beadles who is a huge liability. 

Funny I was typing up this response @J-ALL-DAY...

I know we discussed how long we stick with our starting QB already, but what about the other positions. Safe to say Shanny & co have publicly said that theres no real set starters/depth chart other than Hoyer and Staley. As soon as next week who might get a start that didnt this week? I think we've mentioned Beadles benched with Magnuson or Tomlinson is a safe idea. Is Fusco/Kilgore on Notice? 

11 hours ago, Ataal said:

8 pressures and Cam still didn't look that great today.  

I was pretty excited before the game started.  I know we're a young team now, but man....  It was tough to watch.  

That said, if a few things went the other way, this game could have been much different.  Goodwin catches that bomb.  Tartt actually tackles a guy instead of trying to hug someone you don't like.  They actually call the facemask when the Panthers picked up a 1st down in the redzone(Can't remember the players, but the runner pulled our defensive guy down to the ground by his facemask and then picked up the first down).  I could go on and on.  But, they didn't go the other way and that's the difference between a good team and a bad one.  We're still really bad.   

Cam not looking great says more about him than our defense. He clearly was off the mark early and a bit rusty before getting it together in the 2nd half. We were fortunate to not allow even more bigger plays. 

With saying that, I was actually happy with the coverage from our secondary for the most part. There were a few breakdowns that really hurt the secondary, but they did well considering Cam had all day in the pocket. Donate Johnson for some reason thought we were in man when it was supposed to be cover 3 that led to the first TD. And then when there was a play where Cam missed the TE wide open because everyone went to the underneath route. Those are the things that need to be cleaned up. 

Really disappointing start. Didn't think the team would be this undisciplined in the first game. When Reuben Foster got hurt it seemed any momentum the 49ers may have had went down the drain. The offensive line is the most glaring problem. Hoyer had essentially no chance. I thought QB was the biggest need for the next draft, but it's going to be offensive linemen. Free agency needs to address it too. They are just TERRIBLE with that lineup right now. So frustrating to watch. 

Btw, I hope we don't get Chris Speilman on games anymore. Is he new to broadcasting? Because his commentary was so hard to get through. 

Here is the disputed Hyde play. @big9erfan you are right that Garcon's missed block killed any chance of this play from succeeding. Because he let the defender get inside of him, Hyde had no choice but to cut it to the inside. And @y2lamanaki is right that regardless of how well the play was executed, there was little chance of it ever leading to a score. By the looks of it, doesn't even seem like we have practiced it all that much. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think both of the 4th down plays had a chance to succeed, and both failed because of missed blocks.  My concern is that Shanny turned down the chance for a straight handoff to Hyde with Juice leading the first time and went for the trickier misdirection handoff. When that didn't work the first time rather than just fall back on straight power the next time he went for an even more esoteric play.  Sometimes you  don't need to out-think the other guys, just out-execute them.  

Here is the disputed Hyde play. @big9erfan you are right that Garcon's missed block killed any chance of this play from succeeding. Because he let the defender get inside of him, Hyde had no choice but to cut it to the inside. And @y2lamanaki is right that regardless of how well the play was executed, there was little chance of it ever leading to a score. By the looks of it, doesn't even seem like we have practiced it all that much. 

Archived