Carolina v 49ers, week 1 GDT: Football is Back!

Forge

Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most

• Solomon Thomas
    • Reuben Foster
    • Marquise Goodwin
    • Pierre Garcon
    • George Kittle
    • Robbie Gould...because kickers are people too

I have to say, it's pretty sad that we have three first round defensive lineman and we couldn't do anything significant against the Panthers offensive line. I know it's one game, one of the players is a rookie, and it's a new coaching staff. Still talent is supposed to be talent and shine through. At least have a glimmer. I don't think Cam heard a whisper from the defensive line in that game. 

The defensive line is much better at stopping the run than rushing the passer. Buckner will never be a dominant pass rusher, but he's very good all around player. Thomas is the one guy that has a chance to wreck havoc on the inside on passing downs. We still need a bonafide pass rusher though. 

The defense at least seems to look competent this season. They will be a top 10 run defense which is a HUGE improvement from having damn near the WORSE run defense of all time last season. 

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Sorry but where is the "Options" option?

You know what....that may be a moderator option only lol. Sorry about that. I'm still getting used to that. It may be that you can only delete immediately following the post like on the old forum. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not to trash the man too much, but are you kidding me? This is the damn QB that is forgetting the play he called. How do you go the wrong way THREE times? If it was Beathard then that would be one thing, but this is a nine year veteran. 

The big one that might have cost us a TD was obvious and I was wondering who turned the wrong way.  I wonder how Barrows knows it was Hoyer on all 3.  Line blocking angles maybe? Or do you think he's talked to the coaches?

Anyway, 10 penalties including three for lining up wrong, bad clock awaremess a couple of times, QB and RB not in synch on simple handoff, plus some dropped passes including the best pass of the day that could have led to us scoring and early TD.  Kyle's got some work to do to get this team playing with a lot fewer mental and physical mistakes.

11 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I have to say, it's pretty sad that we have three first round defensive lineman and we couldn't do anything significant against the Panthers offensive line. I know it's one game, one of the players is a rookie, and it's a new coaching staff. Still talent is supposed to be talent and shine through. At least have a glimmer. I don't think Cam heard a whisper from the defensive line in that game. 

Unfortunately they are all inside guys, or "big DE" types. None of them were the pure pass rushing type. As J said THomas is the one guy that has a chance to still be an effective pass rusher from an inside position ... add an great edge guy and they'll all look better rushing from the inside!

Just now, big9erfan said:

Unfortunately they are all inside guys, or "big DE" types. None of them were the pure pass rushing type.

I can agree that they aren't designated pass-rushers, but all of them have pass-rush ability, and only Buckner got any sort of pressure among the three. 

12 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

The big one that might have cost us a TD was obvious and I was wondering who turned the wrong way.  I wonder how Barrows knows it was Hoyer on all 3.  Line blocking angles maybe? Or do you think he's talked to the coaches?

Anyway, 10 penalties including three for lining up wrong, bad clock awaremess a couple of times, QB and RB not in synch on simple handoff, plus some dropped passes including the best pass of the day that could have led to us scoring and early TD.  Kyle's got some work to do to get this team playing with a lot fewer mental and physical mistakes.

For one, Shanahan after the game said it was Hoyer that turned the wrong way on the play near the end zone that you are referring too. The others, probably off the line blocking angles and where the RBs were going. 

But our QBs faking the wrong way is something that has been going on for years. Remember how Kap would fake the opposite way of Gore/Hyde? 

As for our three DEs having pass rushing ability? Absolutely, they just aren't going to be elite pass rushers aside from possibly Thomas. 

One thing that kind of surprised me was how little we blitzed Cam yesterday. Against the Vikings we were sending the blitz damn near every time Bradford dropped back to pass. Maybe they didn't want to give up any plays over the top and wanted Newton to beat them with intermediate passes? Gotta think more pressure will be sent Wilson's way next week.

49 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

He got hit once pretty hard from what I remember. I was very disappointed about this too. Late in the game would have been a great time to bring in aaron lynch. why was he inactive?

I havent been that impressed by Thomas yet. He is pretty stout against the run and I am not discounting that, but he doesnt seem to be able to disengage off of blocks when he is pass rushing. The OL gets their hands on him and thats it, hes neutralized. Seems like he still tries to overpower the OL and when that doesnt work he tries hand fighting, but by then he is locked up and goes no where. He needs to lean how to dip his hips around the edge or develop some pass rushing moves, because you dont take a run stuffing 4-3 DE with the 3rd overall pick. 

Buckner was fine. He had that big hit on Cam on the INT by Tartt. We're still going to have to bring pressure from the edge though. Thomas did seem to have a rough game but not too worried yet. If these guys can't generate any pressure against the Seahawks, then that should raise a lot of questions.

34 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is usually a 3-4 week injury. Looking like he may return vs the Colts on Oct 8 or if he is a quick healer possibly a week earlier vs the Cards.

Hopefully he shouldn't be out too long. He's going to be fantastic for you all.

I know it was a bit rough for the 49ers in this one. Hoyer did not help at all, really. Good luck the rest of the season and hopefully Foster comes back quickly without any lingering issues!

Archived