Carolina v 49ers, week 1 GDT: Football is Back!

Forge

Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most

• Solomon Thomas
    • Reuben Foster
    • Marquise Goodwin
    • Pierre Garcon
    • George Kittle
    • Robbie Gould...because kickers are people too

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

To each his own, I guess. I would hope to god the team would not avoid drafting linemen in the first three rounds. 

If it means signing a top IOL in FA and using those picks on an Edge rusher or DB then that would be my ideal. 

4 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think I'm more into either signing a top FA lineman or waiting til the 4th round on. I'm over rookie Olineman with high expectations. Give me the Trent Browns, Magnuson, even Kilgore's of the league before another Rachel/Martin. Those late round picks are cheaper to resign usually too

Might want to talk to the Cowboys front office about that.  I'm pretty convinced their success the past couple of years is largely due to that incredible line they put together.

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

So rather than Rachel/Martin, you'd prefer Bryan Stork (out of NFL), Cameron Fleming (Career backup), Dakota Dozier (career backup), Kadeem Edwards (practice squad), David Yankey (out of the NFL), Cyril Richardson (out of the NFL), John Urschel (out of the NFL), John Halapio (practice squad), Garrett Scott (out of the NFL), Tavon Rooks (out of the NFL), Luke Bowanko (career backup), Mitchell Van Dyk (out of the NFL), Ulrick John (practice squad), and/or Demetrius Rhaney (out of the NFL)? Because that's a list of offensive linemen taken in the 2014 draft from the 4th-7th rounds in just one draft (2014). There were a handful of players that became starters as well, but none remarkable.  

That's opposed to Greg Robinson (starter), Jake Matthews (starter), Taylor Lewan (Pro Bowl starter), Zack Martin (all-pro starter), Ja'Wuan James (starter), Xavier Sua'Filo (backup than starter), Joel Bitonio (starter), Weston Richburg (starter), Cyrus Kouandjio (out of NFL), Jack Mewhort (starter), and Justin Britt (starter). Then in the third round, you get Morgan Moses (backup then starter), Billy Turner (career backup), Marcus Martin (career trash), Travis Swanson (backup then starter), Spencer Long (backup then starter), Gabe Jackson (starter), Chris Watt (out of the NFL), Trai Turner (Pro Bowl starter), Brandon Linder (starter), Michael Shofield (backup), and Brandon Thomas (out of NFL). 

I'd throw my lot in with the second group personally. Of course, this should come as no surprise. If it was just as simple to find starting offensive linemen in the 4th-7th rounds, no team in the NFL would ever draft them earlier, other than the occasional laughable blip like when a team drafts a kicker in the first 3 rounds. But opting to pursue important starters using only mid-round picks or later is a really poor strategy for finding them. 

Well if you're building a case about success relative to where a guy was drafted you'll have to leave out any Baalke pick.  Including those will just skew the results. :D

51 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

If it means signing a top IOL in FA and using those picks on an Edge rusher or DB then that would be my ideal. 

In one singular draft, sure. If that's your argument, then I'll bow out now as I misunderstood your meaning. This is also something I'd probably advocate for 2018. As a sustained draft philosophy, that is trouble, and I would want nothing to do with it. 

45 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Well if you're building a case about success relative to where a guy was drafted you'll have to leave out any Baalke pick.  Including those will just skew the results. :D

Ha, very true. Forgot to highlight Brandon Thomas, too. But that was just the complete outlook for picks in the first three rounds, and the first two rounds were a great example of why you should not avoid spending early picks on offensive linemen. In fact, as a guess off the top of my head, I'd say spending a pick on a lineman is probably one of the safest choices. 

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

How did Zeitler do this week for the Browns? He was someone I really wanted us to pursue this last offseason.

Looks like he graded out at the #11 Gaurd last week, that would have been helpful.

Archived