GDT: Preseason Week 3: Bears at Colts

malagabears

9 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

With more and more teams not playing their starters, the fans aren’t going to go to the games and I think eventually the NFL will cut some preseason games. 

Which is probably how it should be.  Many teams are now in favor of joint scrimmages in lieu of full dress preseason games. 

How the owners intend to deal with this and the loss of revenue is more than likely an issue for the CBA.  I don't favor an 18 game regular season unless it's structured much differently than it is now.

Once even more teams think about how a QB like Cam Newton got injured and maybe lost for anywhere from several weeks to as much as the entire season if he did suffer a LisFranc injury the more coaches will refuse to take the risk or playing starters if they have a top ranked team.  Nagy is playing it smart and I agree with his approach.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The only thing to discuss is Pineiro. That's literally all.

Yep that's really it. Does anyone remember last year the media questioning Nagy's strategy of not playing starters at all. It seems like most teams are not playing starters now. 

The only thing to discuss is Pineiro. That's literally all.

I mean, that’s really not the case. We need to see what he does for sure, and in a controlled environment indoors he should fare well, but a lot of our important depth guys are also battling for spots. I’m looking to see improved play from the ST early in the game when our regular coverage team guys are actually out there. I’m hoping to see something from our backup OTs that resembles someone who could play capably if called upon. It would be nice to see our TE get some targets this week to see if anyone there can do anything against what will also be Indy’s backups. I also think it’s a big week for our depth ILBs. I’m still not convinced if Iggy shows anything at all that Kwiatkowski doesn’t potentially become a release or trade candidate. Iggy, P-L and Woods can all play ST and fit the desired athletic profile for the position better so if they can also show capable reserve ILB ability then Kwiatkowski becomes largely expendable. 

Beyond that - just don’t get hurt. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I mean, that’s really not the case. We need to see what he does for sure, and in a controlled environment indoors he should fare well, but a lot of our important depth guys are also battling for spots. I’m looking to see improved play from the ST early in the game when our regular coverage team guys are actually out there. I’m hoping to see something from our backup OTs that resembles someone who could play capably if called upon. It would be nice to see our TE get some targets this week to see if anyone there can do anything against what will also be Indy’s backups. I also think it’s a big week for our depth ILBs. I’m still not convinced if Iggy shows anything at all that Kwiatkowski doesn’t potentially become a release or trade candidate. Iggy, P-L and Woods can all play ST and fit the desired athletic profile for the position better so if they can also show capable reserve ILB ability then Kwiatkowski becomes largely expendable. 

Beyond that - just don’t get hurt. 

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things though Pineiro is all that matters. If it got to the point this year when Woods or Iggy or even Kwiatkoski were playing a large amount of snaps, they would be in trouble. I would like to see ST improve though, as you pointed out.

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things though Pineiro is all that matters. If it got to the point this year when Woods or Iggy or even Kwiatkoski were playing a large amount of snaps, they would be in trouble. I would like to see ST improve though, as you pointed out.

For 2019 you’re right - EP is obviously the most important observation. I can’t watch these preseason games without applying a beyond 2019 lens to them though. 

Looking for (among people playing obviously):

1. No injuries

2. Any OLB to step the hell up

3. Kwiatoski to learn how to run in space, or anyone else to learn how to be good enough to bump Kwiatoski' from his spot.

4. Any TE to step the hell up

5. The new running back (already don't remember name) vs Whyte vs Nall.... Our running game was putrid last week

6. Any OT to step the hell up

7. Duck to not look like a liability barring one good interception.

8. Duck learning how to outrun people that outweigh him by 50lbs and house his next int

9. Denmark exist (haven't seen him at all positive or negative)

10. Piniero to make a good kick

11. better kick coverage (since let's be honest, ST skills on display are probably the most significant factor for most people playing right now)

12. Someone... anyone.... to land a pass in the same zipcode as Marvin Hall when he sprints past the defense.

13. Ridley showing up

14. Wims sitting down.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The NFL really need to look at preseason because it is clear that coaches are barley even using it to settle roster battles...most of the guys playing will be on the streets in a week...cut preseason to two games and extent the regular season by two.

Agree except keep the regular season 16.