20 team league strategy, please

Hunter2_1

PPR

Have you ever played in a league with this many teams? I haven't, so I'm asking for some advice please :) I'm also a bit of a fantasy rookie, so apologies in advance for stupid questions.

The temptation will be to think the team drafted will be poor, but with 20 selections per round, it will be hard to get sufficient talent throughout. What are some strategies I can use? 

I'm thinking hammer WR and RB early (want Hopkins if I can), but I can't wait too long for other positions due to the lack of depth

Thanks

Edited by Hunter2_1

I think there are slightly over 20 QBs worth drafting, dont get caught taking one early. Its just not worth it. TE is a little tricky because there arent as many good ones worth drafting. Getting DST/K last 2 picks is a must and obvious but figured I’d mention it

Getting value is always important in fantasy but even moreso in such a large league so reaching could really hurt your chances. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think there are slightly over 20 QBs worth drafting, dont get caught taking one early. Its just not worth it. TE is a little tricky because there arent as many good ones worth drafting. Getting DST/K last 2 picks is a must and obvious but figured I’d mention it

Getting value is always important in fantasy but even moreso in such a large league so reaching could really hurt your chances. 

Yeah number 1 plan is to NOT reach. Do I go for RBs and WRs in the first 3 or 4 rounds?

2 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

What’s the starting lineup and what kind of scoring....standard, half ppr or full ppr?

Do you know, I'm not sure. I thought it was standard but then the NFL has put a notice up saying PPR is now standard; it says this -

FL Fantasy standard scoring has been updated to PPR (Point-Per-Reception). All NFL-Managed leagues are now PPR. Custom league commissioners can change scoring settings under the Manage tab.

So....eh?

18 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Do you know, I'm not sure. I thought it was standard but then the NFL has put a notice up saying PPR is now standard; it says this -

FL Fantasy standard scoring has been updated to PPR (Point-Per-Reception). All NFL-Managed leagues are now PPR. Custom league commissioners can change scoring settings under the Manage tab.

So....eh?

Ive never used NFL.com for fantasy but there should be a settings page that shows scoring and such

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:43 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I disagree with this.  The fact there are so many teams is why you should reach early.  In my 16 team league, if you don't get a QB by round 5, you are left picking between garbage and more garbage.  The odds are you will be more likely to find a RB or WR that produces in the late rounds or the waiver than a QB.  Also if teams start grabbing back ups because not everyone will have a backup who is a starter makes for a shortage at the position.  If you have a chance to grab Mahomes, Watson or Rodgers in the late 2nd/early 3rd, I would definitely do that.

Also, the gap in QB scoring is bumped in big leagues.  Mahomes (500+ points) scored almost 100 points more than the #2 QB last year and 200 more than the 12th rated QB.  Kelce and Ertz scored just under 300 points and only 160 more than the 12th ranked TE and not much difference there between 12 and 20.  Same with WRs'  The most points scored was 330 and there are about 20 WRs within 100 points of that. 

Deep leagues are all about the late rounds.  Get a stud in rd 1, a good player in rd 2 and then make sure you do research on guys who could break out. 

• Like 2

ended up with this;

Pick 1. (the wait from 1 to 40 is insane)

QB - Mitch Trubisky

RB1 - Saquon Barkley

RB2 - Kenyan Drake

WR1 - Steffon Diggs

WR2 - Allen Robinson

TE - George Kittle

W/R - Marquise Goodwin

DEF - Chiefs

K - Chris Boswell

BN- Matthew Stafford (QB)

BN - Nyheim Hines (RB)

BN - Robert Foster (WR)

BN - Jess James (TE)

BN - John Ross (WR)

BN - TJ Yeldon (RB)

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

ended up with this;

Pick 1. (the wait from 1 to 40 is insane)

QB - Mitch Trubisky

RB1 - Saquon Barkley

RB2 - Kenyan Drake

WR1 - Steffon Diggs

WR2 - Allen Robinson

TE - George Kittle

W/R - Marquise Goodwin

DEF - Chiefs

K - Chris Boswell

BN- Matthew Stafford (QB)

BN - Nyheim Hines (RB)

BN - Robert Foster (WR)

BN - Jess James (TE)

BN - John Ross (WR)

BN - TJ Yeldon (RB)

I don't love your roster but it does help to get Barkley in such a big league.  Your Qbs are weak but have potential which is solid in such a deep league.  I don't like the end of your roster as I don't see a lot of upside with Yeldon, Hines, and Foster.  Unless Hines or Yeldon end up in Houston.

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't love your roster but it does help to get Barkley in such a big league.  Your Qbs are weak but have potential which is solid in such a deep league.  I don't like the end of your roster as I don't see a lot of upside with Yeldon, Hines, and Foster.  Unless Hines or Yeldon end up in Houston.

Appreciate it. Will be active in waivers to clear some of those latter ones - but there really wasn't much around toward the end as you can imagine. Went Barkley, Diggs, Kittle top 3 rounds.

The NFL thingy graded it top 4 in the league, but I'm sure that means zip.

10 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Appreciate it. Will be active in waivers to clear some of those latter ones - but there really wasn't much around toward the end as you can imagine. Went Barkley, Diggs, Kittle top 3 rounds.

The NFL thingy graded it top 4 in the league, but I'm sure that means zip.

Its a solid team for sure in a 20 man league.  Just imagine being at the 20 spot and getting two fringe guys and then having to wait the 40 picks.  At least you start with Barkley.  Its crazy how deep leagues make you feel like you are overdrafting guys. Just curious, where did the top 3 QBs go?