2020 Mock Offseason (No player draft, only positions)

AlexGreen#20

Cap Situation: 

We should go into this current season with about 15 million in cap space. Assuming we don't spend any more. That cap space will roll over.

Assuming a salary cap of $200 million, we currently have 9 million in cap space. When the 15 million rolls over. That puts us at 24 million in cap space.

+++++

Cuts:

Jimmy Graham: 8 million in cap space back makes this one an easy call, especially if Tonyan shows anything.

Lane Taylor: 4.5 million in cap space back is to tempting of an offer for a guy who projects to be the #3 Guard on the roster.

That pushes our available cap number up to 36 million. 

For accounting purposes, I'm going to subtract 10 million for the roll over into the 2020 season and next year's draft picks.

That leaves us with 26 million to spend. 

+++

Resignings:

Geronimo Allison (3 years/20 million/5.5 first year hit)

He's an average #2 receiver who isn't going to get offered a #2 contract due to lack of exposure, first due to injuries and second by being overshadowed by Adams and MVS. Hopefully ESB takes over the #3 receiver spot and makes this contract look foolish, but it's an opportunity to win on a contract with a genuine starter.

Robert Tonyan:  (3 years/12 million/3 first year cap hit)

Heir apparent to the TE spot. Hard for me to justify Graham's deal at this point. 

Dan Vitale: LaFleur needs his stupid toy. (2 years/4 million/1.5 first year cap hit)

Trevor Davis:  (2 years/5 million/2 first year cap hit)

If anybody offers him more than 4.5 per, you let him walk with the best of wishes, but if he's going to come back cheap, you retain the ST standout and a guy with the skillset to make this scheme work.

Tony Brown: (2 years/7 million/3 first year cap hit)

Good, cheap, defense and ST depth.

Will Redmond: (2 years/2 million/1 first year cap hit)

Good, cheap, defense and ST depth.

16 of 26 million spent on resignings

+++++

Free Agency Acquisitions:

Ronald Darby (4 years/40 million/10 first year cap hit)

Darby/King/Alexander locks up this CB group in a way that relying on Tony Brown and Tramon Williams would not. 

+++++

Free Agency Departures:

Bryan Bulaga: Somebody's going to offer him legitimate long term money, something like 4/48 and he's going to walk away from our 2/30 offer.

Tramon Williams: He's going to be 37 by the time next year starts. It would be great if one of Tony Brown/Josh Jackson/Ka'dar Hollman would step up and claim that #3 CB spot.

Mason Crosby: He turns 36 next year, and we've seen ever decreasing performance from him. Time to go and get a guy we can rely on.

Marcedes Lewis: He turns 36 next year. He was a lousy blocker last year and blocking is the only thing he's good at. Time to move on.

Kyler Fackrell: He turns 29 next season, so a new deal has you paying for him into his 30s. I think a pass rush desperate team is going to sign him away, seeing his lower numbers this year as a lack of opportunities. 

Blake Martinez:  He's a damn good player and somebody is going to pay him close to top of the position money. Gute is going to let the ILB walk. 

+++++

Draft (Way too early in the process):

1. OT

2. BPA

3. ILB

4. IOL

5. K

6. Tight End Project

7A. ILB

8A. Secondary

+++

QB: Rodgers/Boyle/Kizer

RB: Jones/Williams/Williams

FB: Vitale

WR: Adams/MVS/Allision/EQ/Davis/Sheppard

TE: Tonyan/Sternberger/Rookie

OT: Bakhtiari/Rookie/Light

OG: Turner/Jenkins/Rookie

OC: Linsley/Rookie

+++

DL: Clark/Adams/Lowry/Keke/Looney/Rookie

Edge: Smith/Smith/Gary/Rookie

ILB: Burks/Bolton/Summers/Crawford/Rookie

CB: Alexander/Darby/King/Jackson/Brown

S: Amos/Savage/Redmond/Campbell/Rookie

K: Rookie

LS: Hunter

P: Scott

+++

I'm struggling with the TE position. I feel like we need another vet, but any vet that I can get for my money is worse than Tonyan, and I feel stupid bringing in a vet just to be a warm body. I'm also sweating bullets at ILB. That is not a great group. Really banking on that 3rd round rookie. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Only thing I note is you left Sternberger out of the mix going forward @AlexGreen#20 ?

No chance we go and pay a CB when King, Alexander and Jackson are coming up in the next 2 - 3 years needing deals. We don't have a 5th year option on King as he was picked in second round. 

Alex Green is right about one thing, it's way too early to be doing this. 

If this is really a two/three-year plan to rebuild this team into a SB caliber team, I'm not settling for Allison as my WR2 and Tonyan as my TE1. I'm looking for splashes for at least one if not both of those positions with the extra money available, similar to our free agnecy this year, but offense intensive. Shower 12 with a few more weapons for the final run. All in.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If this is really a two/three-year plan to rebuild this team into a SB caliber team, I'm not settling for Allison as my WR2 and Tonyan as my TE1. I'm looking for splashes for at least one if not both of those positions with the extra money available, similar to our free agnecy this year, but offense intensive. Shower 12 with a few more weapons for the final run. All in.

I definitely agree on Allison. I think MVS blows by him this year and he's gone next year. Tonyan and Sternberger can make that position viable for us IMO. I'd rather let this year play out before any of this personally because no one knows who will step up and who won't. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

I definitely agree on Allison. I think MVS blows by him this year and he's gone next year. Tonyan and Sternberger can make that position viable for us IMO. I'd rather let this year play out before any of this personally because no one knows who will step up and who won't. 

Actually I do.....but I'm witholding the details because 2019 is laid out before us and should be our focal point at the moment :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think MVS is pretty clearly your #2 going forward. Allison fits in really nicely as a slot guy with size. He becomes a +#3 and there's a good chance ESB or Davis might start encroaching on his reps. 

If you look at the McVay offenses, a lot of what they do is with a handful of TEs like Tonyan and Sternberger. Not like Higbee and Everett are actually worth anything. 

A random point that probably has no significance.......

Saw a highlight of the Davis run around left end in the game against OAK. As with other times I'd seen this play, my eyes followed the ball - however, whomever posted this highlight to Twitter (Fennell? Uglem?) pointed out the terrific lead block by #46 Vitale - so I took a look and sure enough - he powered cleared the path for Davis - a block I will note could easily have been done by a TE creating an outside seal.......

Although I'm less enamored by the FB position generally because the NFL's become this pass happy place......perhaps Vitale will in fact supplement Grahams lack of enthusiasm blocking or make Lewis obsolete. I sense Tonyan's gonna stick his nose in there this year and could see him implementing that block if called upon. Otherwise.....Vitale coming out of the backfield like Jerry Kramer leading a power sweep......could be a well disguised wrinkle.

Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

A random point that probably has no significance.......

Saw a highlight of the Davis run around left end in the game against OAK. As with other times I'd seen this play, my eyes followed the ball - however, whomever posted this highlight to Twitter (Fennell? Uglem?) pointed out the terrific lead block by #46 Vitale - so I took a look and sure enough - he powered cleared the path for Davis - a block I will note could easily have been done by a TE creating an outside seal.......

Although I'm less enamored by the FB position generally because the NFL's become this pass happy place......perhaps Vitale will in fact supplement Grahams lack of enthusiasm blocking or make Lewis obsolete. I sense Tonyan's gonna stick his nose in there this year and could see him implementing that block if called upon. Otherwise.....Vitale coming out of the backfield like Jerry Kramer leading a power sweep......could be a well disguised wrinkle.

Time will tell.

I don't think that was anything that the other TEs couldn't have done. The LB didn't realize it was a run until they were engaged. 

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think that was anything that the other TEs couldn't have done. The LB didn't realize it was a run until they were engaged. 

I know. Thats kinda what I said.....although I think (outside of Lewis who's 2018 blocking was suspect.....) our TE's arent renowned for making / holding their blocks. Could an inline TE popped out and kicked out the LB? Sure....but Graham's just not vicious or sustained enough with his blocking IMO. Tonyan? Yeah, I'll give him a better grade for effort - but I've not seen enough of him to know if he could manhandle that LB as Vitale did.

Plus - having Vitale make the block added the element of surprise / disguise - as we'd both mentioned. The LB didnt see the play coming.

Small points granted. Just making chatter......

Edited by Leader

Tonyan and Tony Brown are ERFAs. Firm believer you don't extend ERFAs. That's 6 mil much better spent on an ILB/OT.

I don't see Davis and GMo back unless we strike out elsewhere. 2020 draft is absolutely loaded at WR if the underclassmen declare, and that BPA in Rd 2 is easily a chance to be a WR.

I'm spending that money on an OT like La'El Collins, Costanzo, Conklin, Remmers, some vet OT to plug and play, unless they have a bunch of faith in Turner there and kick him outside.

This ILB class is actually pretty loaded, Martinez, Schobert, Jack, Jatavis Brown, Trevathan, Van Noy, Onwausor, Darrin Lee. Not inconceivable we could go after one of them if Blake doesn't accept market value.

Think Darby is a waste and you need to get on the Tony Brown wagon. Guy is an NFL corner and he'll show it this year. 5 spot is a total was for him. He'll push Jackson for #3. 

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Tonyan and Tony Brown are ERFAs. Firm believer you don't extend ERFAs. That's 6 mil much better spent on an ILB/OT.

I don't see Davis and GMo back unless we strike out elsewhere. 2020 draft is absolutely loaded at WR if the underclassmen declare, and that BPA in Rd 2 is easily a chance to be a WR. I'm spending that money on an OT like La'El Collins, Costanzo, Conklin, Remmers, some vet OT to plug and play, unless they have a bunch of faith in Turner there and kick him outside. This ILB class is actually pretty loaded, Martinez, Schobert, Jack, Jatavis Brown, Trevathan, Van Noy, Onwausor, Darrin Lee. Not inconceivable we could go after one of them if Blake doesn't accept market value. Think Darby is a waste and you need to get on the Tony Brown wagon. Guy is an NFL corner and he'll show it this year. 5 spot is a total was for him. He'll push Jackson for #3. 

I'm not catching or following your thinking................

You dont think Tonyan's talent level will warrant an extension (or offer?). You feel Brown's gonna be a gamer (a thought I agree with btw.....) - but you dont think him worth keeping?  I'm not following somewhere.