2020 Mock Offseason (No player draft, only positions)

AlexGreen#20

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

Good post AG20

I agree that keeping the offense potent means feeding talent into the offensive line. I also think that the 2nd round BPA needs to tilt toward RB or TE

Because it's easier to get a good RB later in the draft, I'd be tempted to grab that ILB earlier, where he has more chance of stepping in quickly than one taken in round three.

My draft at this time (assuming as always  the value is there), is OT, ILB (either way round) in rounds 1&2, but you need to be fairly sure you can get an early starter if you go OT in round 2. I'm less worried if the Packers go OT in the first and ILB in the second. Rounds 3&4 are for TE and RB (either way round). Then in rounds 5/6/7 a kicker and/or projects at any of QB, WR, OLB, ILB,  DB, IOL, DL (ie pretty much anywhere)

If at any time in the next three years you see a guy you think can be the Packers next starting QB, you get him, regardless of whether you need to get him in round 1 or 7........even at the expense of forgoing another position of need - QBs are that important (obviously).

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Tonyan and Tony Brown are ERFAs. Firm believer you don't extend ERFAs. That's 6 mil much better spent on an ILB/OT.

I don't see Davis and GMo back unless we strike out elsewhere. 2020 draft is absolutely loaded at WR if the underclassmen declare, and that BPA in Rd 2 is easily a chance to be a WR.

I'm spending that money on an OT like La'El Collins, Costanzo, Conklin, Remmers, some vet OT to plug and play, unless they have a bunch of faith in Turner there and kick him outside.

This ILB class is actually pretty loaded, Martinez, Schobert, Jack, Jatavis Brown, Trevathan, Van Noy, Onwausor, Darrin Lee. Not inconceivable we could go after one of them if Blake doesn't accept market value.

Think Darby is a waste and you need to get on the Tony Brown wagon. Guy is an NFL corner and he'll show it this year. 5 spot is a total was for him. He'll push Jackson for #3. 

Didn't realize they were EFRAs, that changes things a little. Should have done the due diligence on that. 

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not catching or following your thinking................

You dont think Tonyan's talent level will warrant an extension (or offer?). You feel Brown's gonna be a gamer (a thought I agree with btw.....) - but you dont think him worth keeping?  I'm not following somewhere.

Nah, EFRA is a contract distinction for undrafted guys. Basically you can extend them for dirt cheap forever. You don't give them real money until the run through that EFRA distinction runs out.

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I'm not catching or following your thinking................

You dont think Tonyan's talent level will warrant an extension (or offer?). You feel Brown's gonna be a gamer (a thought I agree with btw.....) - but you dont think him worth keeping?  I'm not following somewhere.

I think he's saying they are stuck signing for what we offer being exclusive rights guys. No need to extend them. The only reason I could see to justify that is if we have the space and can get a discount in doing so. Both unlikely scenarios. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I think he's saying they are stuck signing for what we offer being exclusive rights guys. No need to extend them. The only reason I could see to justify that is if we have the space and can get a discount in doing so. Both unlikely scenarios. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nah, EFRA is a contract distinction for undrafted guys. Basically you can extend them for dirt cheap forever. You don't give them real money until the run through that EFRA distinction runs out.

So basically they're under contract and not subject to poaching by other teams yet. Okay. Got it now. Thanks. I was thinking them subject to offers by other teams.

57 minutes ago, Leader said:

So basically they're under contract and not subject to poaching by other teams yet. Okay. Got it now. Thanks. I was thinking them subject to offers by other teams.

ERFA basically means "you can only negotiate with the team that holds your ERFA rights" so you have no leverage.  Only if the team who holds your ERFA rights decides they are done with you can you choose between multiple offers.

As far as the draft, we really need a reload the O draft. Really the D is looking good and young (knock on wood, baring career ending injuries). Maybe a ilb?

-With Bulaga probably out, OT is need 1 (unless Light really develops).

- based on Rodgers contract, I’m thinking 1 more year until I’m cool pulling the trigger on a round 1 qb. We have guaranteed money in him through 2022. With that said, I’d be fine with a 3rd-5th round development guy

- Pass catcher is probably a need high (round 1-3). It is still Adams, and a bunch of unprovens/ #3 upside guys  at wr. With sternberger/Tonyan as te 1/2 we probably need another guy).

-RB is always a need in round 3-5.

8 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Tonyan's an ERFA. It'll cost us like 600k to keep him next year and he doesn't get a say. Same with Vitale, Brown.

Exactly... Those guys aren't getting multi year, multi million dollar extinctions. The get to play next year on one year minimum deal.

For Martinez, a lot will depend on how the other ILBs play out this year. If the Packers have in-house replacements for him, then the Packers probably let him walk. If not, Gute will want to re-sign him. I wouldn't go more than $9-$10M a year for him no matter what. The Devil is always in the details with NFL contracts, so definitely no more than $30M in the first three years of the contract.

Going back to the OP,

I agree with the cuts (unless Grahm just balls out which I don’t see happening)

I’m not sure if I’ve seen enough from Tonyan or Allison to give either more than a 1 year deal. Tonyan is a big projection and Allison can’t stay on the field. 

TD we will see. If he can stay healthy and we can get him cheap to be a returner/gimmick player I’m cool with it. I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting one though. I’ve been ready to move on from TD for awhile. I feel like in the MLF O there’s a wide range of outcomes for him (Taylor Gabriel contract from someone to camp body next year)

I’m also inclined to pay Blake as long as it doesn’t get too crazy. I’m usually anti ILB paying, but he’s a difference maker. I’d be fine giving him  jaylon smith money like money (10-12 a year).