College Football 2019-20 prospect related

KingTitan

I was actually watching some of the top QB prospects the other day, and honestly there isn't anybody right right now that I'd comfortably replace Mariota with. That's as big a factor to me as anything when it comes to that debate. If we're going to move on from him we better make damn sure whoever we're drafting is an upgrade over him. I don't see that in this year's class right now. I like Jake Fromm, but a lot of the same complaints we have for Marcus are the same for him. Needs a great team around him, hasn't put the team on his back to win when the rest of the team is struggling, etc.

34 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Saw a mock draft having us take Jordan Love at 7 or 9. 

Wouldn't that just be like taking a slower skinnier Marcus?

I've only watched his Michigan State game from last year, and thought something similar except he might be able to put a little bit more zip on the ball than Marcus (but that's kind of nitpicking.) That's my problem with this group of QBs unless Marcus gets hurt and leaves us no choice but to move on next year, I don't see anybody in this draft class that's going to be an upgrade to him. And to be perfectly honest there's a part of me that would be a little scared to move on from a QB that has led us to 3 straight winning seasons. With the way our defense has been developing unless we end up with a chance to get a Patrick Mahomes level upgrade I'm not moving on from Marcus just for the sake of possibly finding someone better.

I did have a question though... If our season did end up falling apart and we somehow ended up in a range where Herbert was available how big of a factor would us taking two QBs from Oregon in a row have on the decision making if any? Normally I'd say school doesn't matter, it's a different coaching staff than Marcus had, and each player should be his own individual evaluation, but in the case of drafting a Franchise QB there's SO many outside factors that come into play. One of which being how would the fan base feel if we went the Oregon route again if Marcus fails? Is there something to be said for drafting somebody from a totally different school in that vein of starting brand new? Just a thought I had. I personally like quite a few things about Herbert. Think the ball flies out of his hand, but once again, I don't think he's an immediate upgrade over Marcus as a player right now.

There's also a part of me that loves the idea of drafting a guy that's a pure passer like Jake Fromm. Jake Fromm isn't the flashiest, but he's really accurate. I've said before if and when we move on from Marcus I'd like to draft more of a pure passer type. We've always hung our hat on these more athletic type of QBs as a Franchise, and that's a lot of fun to watch, but we also tend to deal with a lot more QB injuries than most because of it. Not saying Jake Fromm is immune to injuries, but the cerebral nature of how he plays, his ability to read a defense, and get the ball out quick should theoretically help him stay healthy. 

Once again this is all theoretical and just thoughts I had on this QB class. I'm still fully on board with the young maestro, and hope he can stay healthy and be our guy for the long term!

50 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I've only watched his Michigan State game from last year, and thought something similar except he might be able to put a little bit more zip on the ball than Marcus (but that's kind of nitpicking.) That's my problem with this group of QBs unless Marcus gets hurt and leaves us no choice but to move on next year, I don't see anybody in this draft class that's going to be an upgrade to him. And to be perfectly honest there's a part of me that would be a little scared to move on from a QB that has led us to 3 straight winning seasons. With the way our defense has been developing unless we end up with a chance to get a Patrick Mahomes level upgrade I'm not moving on from Marcus just for the sake of possibly finding someone better.

I did have a question though... If our season did end up falling apart and we somehow ended up in a range where Herbert was available how big of a factor would us taking two QBs from Oregon in a row have on the decision making if any? Normally I'd say school doesn't matter, it's a different coaching staff than Marcus had, and each player should be his own individual evaluation, but in the case of drafting a Franchise QB there's SO many outside factors that come into play. One of which being how would the fan base feel if we went the Oregon route again if Marcus fails? Is there something to be said for drafting somebody from a totally different school in that vein of starting brand new? Just a thought I had. I personally like quite a few things about Herbert. Think the ball flies out of his hand, but once again, I don't think he's an immediate upgrade over Marcus as a player right now.

There's also a part of me that loves the idea of drafting a guy that's a pure passer like Jake Fromm. Jake Fromm isn't the flashiest, but he's really accurate. I've said before if and when we move on from Marcus I'd like to draft more of a pure passer type. We've always hung our hat on these more athletic type of QBs as a Franchise, and that's a lot of fun to watch, but we also tend to deal with a lot more QB injuries than most because of it. Not saying Jake Fromm is immune to injuries, but the cerebral nature of how he plays, his ability to read a defense, and get the ball out quick should theoretically help him stay healthy. 

Once again this is all theoretical and just thoughts I had on this QB class. I'm still fully on board with the young maestro, and hope he can stay healthy and be our guy for the long term!

Honestly right now I don’t love any of the QBs in next years draft. I am intrigued by Fromm and Jacob Eason though. I wasn’t a fan of Herbert last year but thought he played extremely well in the 1st half against Auburn(didn’t watch 2nd half). I don’t think the Oregon aspect will play any factor or at least it shouldn’t. Herbert plays in a much different style of Oregon than Mariota did. Not a fan of everyone’s golden boy Tua. If I had to rank them, I’d probably out Fromm first. I think he’s the most pro ready of any of the QBs. May not have the highest ceiling like some of them but he won’t take as long to adjust to the NFL. Like you said, I think he’s incredibly accurate. Plus I do think Kirby holds him back considering he wants an offense that controls the clock by running the ball a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-2020-nfl-mock-draft-lsu-quarterback-joe-burrow-goes-no-1-overall-to-cincinnati-bengals

Welp we found the solution guys. Draft a safety. It’ll fix all of our problems.

Lmao that pick makes no sense.. I’d understand if Vacarro was terrible but we also have hooker.. maybe they think we make some splash moves in free agency 

5 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-2020-nfl-mock-draft-lsu-quarterback-joe-burrow-goes-no-1-overall-to-cincinnati-bengals

Welp we found the solution guys. Draft a safety. It’ll fix all of our problems.

4 hours ago, 615finest said:

Lmao that pick makes no sense.. I’d understand if Vacarro was terrible but we also have hooker.. maybe they think we make some splash moves in free agency 

I've seen that a couple of places, and yeah, it's an odd one.  I could see a corner (maybe not if Hooker steps into the slot position or they re-sign Ryan), but a high pick at safety makes little sense.  There are way too many other big needs.

I'm thinking at this point, the first pick is likely a QB, but the second could be just about anything.  Our defense is great, so I'd like it if they could pick up either a RB replacement for Henry (and this is a good class for that), or a RT that can play inside as well, since we need some solutions there.  Hopefully they re-sign Kelly, and between Kelly, a high draft pick, and Nate Davis, they can sort out the line a bit without a ton of dead money from Saffold/Ben Jones.

I liked Ben Bredeson out of Michigan as an OL when I watched him.  Good fit at guard, maybe at RT if he measures OK.  Najee Harris (not because of the school) seems like a good candidate to replace Derrick Henry as well.

Finally got to see Burrow play today and the kid seems legit. That offensive balance they have is also amazing. We need Joe Brady!

Also as much as I like Henry I feel like we will never have a modern offense with him. I really hope we draft a RB this year. Swift, Etienne, Dobbins, Taylor, Akers, Hill. The class is loaded. 

• Like 1