College Football 2019-20 prospect related

KingTitan

I just rewatched Love's tape against Wake Forest.  Ugh.  Please, for the love of god yall, don't let them draft this guy.  I counted four passes that should have been interceptions (on top of the four he threw), and yeah, his receivers dropped a couple of passes (I counted about five), but there were just as many catches where receivers bailed him out with 20-30 YAC or great catches (including one of the TDs).  I don't remember seeing what looked like him going to his second read even once.

I remember now why I hated him as a prospect so early.  His receivers are not that bad.

But to be fair, I'm gonna look up tape on one of his good games, if he had one against a semi-quality opponent.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I just rewatched Love's tape against Wake Forest.  Ugh.  Please, for the love of god yall, don't let them draft this guy.  I counted four passes that should have been interceptions (on top of the four he threw), and yeah, his receivers dropped a couple of passes (I counted about five), but there were just as many catches where receivers bailed him out with 20-30 YAC or great catches (including one of the TDs).  I don't remember seeing what looked like him going to his second read even once.

I remember now why I hated him as a prospect so early.  His receivers are not that bad.

But to be fair, I'm gonna look up tape on one of his good games, if he had one against a semi-quality opponent.

You're gonna have to avoid all but like one tape from 2019 to find a good game lol

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 10:23 PM, TitanSS said:

Accuracy is absolutely a massive issue for him. I watched 5 cut ups of his and there were a number of times where he threw an interception to an open WR just because he underthrew him or left the ball too far inside.

You want to bring up WR drops, but on top of the 7 INTs he threw in 3 of the games I watched, there were a number of dropped INTs. As high as his interception total was in 2019, it could have been much higher.

Accuracy is not a characteristic where you can highlight the good and say "See he's accurate". Accuracy is about consistently putting the ball where you are intending it to be, and there is just way too much evidence suggesting that he can not do that on a consistent basis.

He has great zip, and a quicker release and better touch on the ball than Locker or Kap, but accuracy isn't something that generally improves drastically in the NFL. 

Even in a down year, his completion rate held at 61.9%. That's not bad. At all. That's almost 5% higher than Lamar Jackson's college completion rate, who obviously suffered from the same raw high-end talent stuck on a poor roster case, and his accuracy improved considerably in the NFL.

So while that number is not low to begin with, his adjusted completion rate is 69.66%, according to this. Which is even better. It's lower than some of his peers, but it's definitely not a concerning number. Even if his accuracy won't improve, maintaining a 62% (against a 69.6% true completion rate) number would be more than enough for him to be okay in the league.

His zip and touch is also much better than the likes of Locker or Kap, which is why I disagreed with ranking him in that tier to begin with. 

What concerns me about him is the high number of interceptions he threw in the final year of college due to misreading the field and not recognizing the coverage. The article I cited above highlights that as well. I don't know where I've seen it, might've been PFF, but he has a ridiculously number of interceptions thrown to his first read in under 2.0 seconds, due to not reading the field properly pre or post snap. That is concerning. It could be fixed with more experience and better coaching, but it's still concerning. His accuracy isn't, not IMO. Not from watching the film, and not from looking at his numbers.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:44 PM, Daniel said:

Here's the tape, if you care to review it with me. He threw 3 INTs, FWIW, not 4. I counted 3 more interceptable passes. One clear dropped INT, two that could've been intercepted. Both were desperation throws on the final drive of the game with 1 minute to go and down 3, in one of which he's hit from behind as he releases towards the opposite side of the field. He ended up 33/48 (68.8% rate) for 400+ yards & 3 TDs and 35 points scored. With 5 passes dropped (didn't count them, but I'll trust you on this, even though it felt like more), that's virtually 38/48, which is above a very respectable completion rate.

On what TD was he bailed out? The first one, he steps up into the pocket to avoid pressure and delivers a beautiful pass down the field into tight coverage. The second one, he throws towards the back of the EZ from the far hash, and places the ball only where his WR could get it. The third one is a WR screen taken to the house for 50+ yards. If you're referring to that one, that's the WR doing his job (catching and running after the catch) as well as his blockers. That's not a case of a QB being bailed out. 

The 3 INTs are bad, and he should've had at least one more (the clear dropped one). 3 of those are examples of failing to recognize the coverage, and the other one he failed to place that ball towards the deep corner of the EZ as he should've. But aside from that, there's a lot of really solid play that you'd frankly have to be crazy to ignore. His entire (or at least the majority of) 2019 tape is basically that. There are red flags around him no doubt, but to dismiss all of the potential that he offers is simply insane, and I 100% guarantee at least one NFL team will be smart enough to consider him a very worthy project and draft him in the 1st. Me, personally, I would be very glad if it's anyone else other than the Colts. I think there's a great chance of him turning into a very capable starter in the league, and I'd like it more if it were outside the division.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:49 PM, Andrei01 said:

Even in a down year, his completion rate held at 61.9%. That's not bad. At all. That's almost 5% higher than Lamar Jackson's college completion rate, who obviously suffered from the same raw high-end talent stuck on a poor roster case, and his accuracy improved considerably in the NFL.

So while that number is not low to begin with, his adjusted completion rate is 69.66%, according to this. Which is even better. It's lower than some of his peers, but it's definitely not a concerning number. Even if his accuracy won't improve, maintaining a 62% (against a 69.6% true completion rate) number would be more than enough for him to be okay in the league.

His zip and touch is also much better than the likes of Locker or Kap, which is why I disagreed with ranking him in that tier to begin with. 

What concerns me about him is the high number of interceptions he threw in the final year of college due to misreading the field and not recognizing the coverage. The article I cited above highlights that as well. I don't know where I've seen it, might've been PFF, but he has a ridiculously number of interceptions thrown to his first read in under 2.0 seconds, due to not reading the field properly pre or post snap. That is concerning. It could be fixed with more experience and better coaching, but it's still concerning. His accuracy isn't, not IMO. Not from watching the film, and not from looking at his numbers.

Completion percentage and accuracy are not the same thing. Inaccurate balls are often completed if wide receivers have enough separation. Now he's going to the next level where the windows to throw into are much smaller and ball placement can be the difference between a completed pass or a PBU.

Also, 61.9% in college is nothing to write home about. Using one of the most inaccurate passers in the NFL as the measuring stick isn't great either. Jackson had a standout year after completing 58% of his passes as a rookie. I expect him to regress significantly this season as the majority of his passing success came from the Ravens innovative running offense and his own ability as a ball carrier.  Completion percentage isn't a statistic that is generally going to be higher in the NFL than it is in college. 

A lot of his interceptions that I saw in the 5 tapes I watch could have been completed if he simply lead the WR properly. Several of them were just balls thrown behind his open man far enough that the DB was able to catch it. I don't think he's the type of player to ever start a full season in the NFL as a starter.

• Like 1

Did a mock draft on draft network and came away with...

1st.) Jeff Gladney, CB

2nd.) Curtis Weaver, Edge

3rd.) JK Dobbins, RB(no idea how he fell this far)

5th.) Jon Runyan, OT

6th.) Jeff Thomas, WR

7th.) Rodrigo Blankenship, K(Probably going to be a popular pick amongst Titan fans due to our need for kicker but I think he gets drafted higher)

7th.) Cole McDonald, QB

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 4:44 AM, TitanSS said:

Completion percentage and accuracy are not the same thing. Inaccurate balls are often completed if wide receivers have enough separation. Now he's going to the next level where the windows to throw into are much smaller and ball placement can be the difference between a completed pass or a PBU.

Also, 61.9% in college is nothing to write home about. Using one of the most inaccurate passers in the NFL as the measuring stick isn't great either. Jackson had a standout year after completing 58% of his passes as a rookie. I expect him to regress significantly this season as the majority of his passing success came from the Ravens innovative running offense and his own ability as a ball carrier.  Completion percentage isn't a statistic that is generally going to be higher in the NFL than it is in college. 

A lot of his interceptions that I saw in the 5 tapes I watch could have been completed if he simply lead the WR properly. Several of them were just balls thrown behind his open man far enough that the DB was able to catch it. I don't think he's the type of player to ever start a full season in the NFL as a starter.

No offense, but if completion rate does not equal accuracy, I still trust it to be closer to the truth than your unprofessional eye evaluation, especially when my own unprofessional eye evaluation tends to agree more with the numbers than with yours. Again, even if his accuracy rate doesn't improve in the NFL but stays at the current level, he'll be good as a ~60+% thrower.

Jackson obviously took a big step forward in his second year. It's what players are usually expected to do, improve, and he did it brilliantly. He came into the league a little raw, expected to sit behind Flacco and only saw the field mostly as a runner to start the year, on limited snaps. He took over as the starter, and in his first full year improved considerably from previous year and college, up to 66%. That's a very respectable number. It certainly places him well above the "one of the most inaccurate passers" line.

35 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

No offense, but if completion rate does not equal accuracy, I still trust it to be closer to the truth than your unprofessional eye evaluation, especially when my own unprofessional eye evaluation tends to agree more with the numbers than with yours. Again, even if his accuracy rate doesn't improve in the NFL but stays at the current level, he'll be good as a ~60+% thrower.

Jackson obviously took a big step forward in his second year. It's what players are usually expected to do, improve, and he did it brilliantly. He came into the league a little raw, expected to sit behind Flacco and only saw the field mostly as a runner to start the year, on limited snaps. He took over as the starter, and in his first full year improved considerably from previous year and college, up to 66%. That's a very respectable number. It certainly places him well above the "one of the most inaccurate passers" line.

Not really my guy, for the simple fact jackson completion % is kinda like a old saying smoking mirrors. Now I do agree he improved as a passer, but the majority of his passes are wide open throws off play action or gimmicks plays because of his threat of being a runner he draws so much attention, players blow coverage. He still struggles playing from the pocket throwing outside the #’s bad. That being sad I like Love as a 2nd- 3rd pk.. He screams Mariota, VY, Locker & that’s guys that are projects & need a QB guru to coach them & we don’t have 1 on this team