Andrew Luck informs Colts he plans to retire

tab

10 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Well irsay literally just gifted Luck 20 mil

You're talking about a billionaire. That $20mm is like $100 to me - sure, that's a chunk in my world, but the goodwill I get for "forgiving" that debt is worth more than that debt.

Jim Irsay still has a franchise to run. Recouping money from Luck would turn into a pretty nasty - and public - legal battle. Win or lose in a legal settlement, how do the Colts look? How does that look work when you're trying to re-sign your expiring contracts, or bring in high priority FAs, knowing that a team would go that far to get their money back?

$20mm is nothing in the long term. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Well irsay literally just gifted Luck 20 mil

You're talking about a billionaire. That $20mm is like $100 to me - sure, that's a chunk in my world, but the goodwill Irsay gets for "forgiving" that debt is worth more than that debt.

Jim Irsay still has a franchise to run. Recouping money from Luck would turn into a pretty nasty - and public - legal battle. Win or lose in a legal settlement, how do the Colts look? How does that look work when you're trying to re-sign your expiring contracts, or bring in high priority FAs, knowing that a team would go that far to get their money back?

$20mm is nothing in the long term. 

7 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Irsay gave him $12 million. And it's to keep Luck from airing their dirty laundry. Colts don't want Luck to be more disgruntled than he already is... and perhaps they're still holding hope Luck may come back to the team after talking some time off.

Or, 0.44% of Irsay's total net worth. If Irsay had $100 bucks, he just gave Luck $0.44.

So brave and stunning by Jim Irsay. Such a generous gesture. Totally makes up for ruining the career of a "once in a generation QB".

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

My b, White Ranger. Haven't kept up to speed with the backup situation in Duval...but, BUT... I also didn't know that Chad "Swag" Kelly is now the backup to the Colts gig.

This being said, Mariota IS better than Gardner Minshew. So, there's that.

Watson - Foles - Tannehill - Brissett - Swag - McCarron - Mariota - Minshew

Better?

just not sure how you could forget that Chenne is the man responsible for creating Patrick Mahomes. People say Alex Smith, but we all know it was the 'stache at work. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Totally makes up for ruining the career of a "once in a generation QB".

Think this is a pretty large overreaction. The Colts currently have one of the best offensive lines in the league at the prime of Lucks career. Luck's calf injury was unlucky and he hurt his shoulder snowboarding. He's retiring a year after getting sacked 18 times. 

I think Grigson committed malpractice but if Luck doesn't choose to retire then this wouldn't be a thing. 

7 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Think this is a pretty large overreaction. The Colts currently have one of the best offensive lines in the league at the prime of Lucks career. Luck's calf injury was unlucky and he hurt his shoulder snowboarding. He's retiring a year after getting sacked 18 times. 

I think Grigson committed malpractice but if Luck doesn't choose to retire then this wouldn't be a thing. 

It took how long to get this done, despite knowing you're testing fate by bringing out guys like Jack Mewhort? You have excess cap space the entire Luck campaign, but instead of trying to find a competent OL - you're spending a small fortune on Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Vontae Davis and LaRon Landry? Instead of trading for potential OL, you're trading a first to Cleveland for Trent Richardson?

You're right, Grigson did commit professional malpractice - but Irsay didn't exactly set the edict down that protecting Luck was job number one. For all of my disdain for Cal McNair and the Texans FO, I'm at least comforted they tried to sign Trent Brown and Roger Saffold, and then drafted two OTs with their first two picks. There's at least SOME effort early on to identify issues.

10 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

just not sure how you could forget that Chenne is the man responsible for creating Patrick Mahomes. People say Alex Smith, but we all know it was the 'stache at work. 

I have it on good authority that Chenne IS Patrick Mahomes. It's like an episode of Hannah Montana in KC...

27 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Or, 0.44% of Irsay's total net worth. If Irsay had $100 bucks, he just gave Luck $0.44.

So brave and stunning by Jim Irsay. Such a generous gesture. Totally makes up for ruining the career of a "once in a generation QB".

Point is Irsay isn't giving Luck this money out of the goodness of his heart. This is nothing but a PR save.

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:
36 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Irsay gave him $12 million. And it's to keep Luck from airing their dirty laundry. Colts don't want Luck to be more disgruntled than he already is... and perhaps they're still holding hope Luck may come back to the team after talking some time off.

It's not really a gift. Irsay would have to spend the money regardless, since there is a salary cap minimum. There isn't a scenario where the Colts "keep" the $12MM, he's choosing to let Luck keep it instead of using it to pay other players.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Well irsay literally just gifted Luck 20 mil. any coaches do that? no? you dont know any of these people, lets not pretend any of us do. As i suspected, youre reasoning for thinking he did it was because hes a "bad guy". its just not a good enough reason tbh. You argued against other people doing it because you wanted it to be him, when is that ever good policy?

I don't want it to be anyone. You're completely projecting dude.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It took how long to get this done, despite knowing you're testing fate by bringing out guys like Jack Mewhort? You have excess cap space the entire Luck campaign, but instead of trying to find a competent OL - you're spending a small fortune on Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Vontae Davis and LaRon Landry? Instead of trading for potential OL, you're trading a first to Cleveland for Trent Richardson?

You're right, Grigson did commit professional malpractice - but Irsay didn't exactly set the edict down that protecting Luck was job number one. For all of my disdain for Cal McNair and the Texans FO, I'm at least comforted they tried to sign Trent Brown and Roger Saffold, and then drafted two OTs with their first two picks. There's at least SOME effort early on to identify issues.

It was too long but I still wouldn't say they ruined his career. 29 is the prime of a Qb's career and the only teams with a more QB friendly infrastructure right now are LA, KC, Phi, and NO. 

My point is just Luck chose to walk away and had he not then no one would say his career was ruined. And the most serious injuries he had related to games missed weren't related to lack of protection. Had he gotten a career ending injury under Grigson then I'd agree but Luck's career was cut short because he wanted to quit. I don't blame anyone for that.