Andrew Luck informs Colts he plans to retire

tab

5 minutes ago, mse326 said:

This is a dumb argument. No business succeeds without the customers. Sports is not unique and doesn't owe anything special to their customers.

lucks paycheck is basically tied to how much fans spend and interact. hes essentially a salesman, do you want to debate how a salesman views customers versus someone i  say... hr? or accounting?

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Basic human dignity and empathy doesn't equate at all to being a "sober keyboard warrior white knight". Also, calling the crowd's reaction "classless" (as I did) is NOT the same as "crucifying them" (as you claim). Read over what you've been posting. You're defending some pretty repugnant behavior. Doesn't matter how many stadiums it would occur at (although I guarantee it wouldn't be at all 32). 

Rams fans did it with Kurt Warner, who had a lot of the recurring injuries like Luck did. And as a result, we got to watch Kurt Warner go in the Hall of Fame as an Arizona Cardinal.

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like NFL fans should mostly boo the fact that they are asked to pay regular season ticket prices for a poor quality product in the preseason more than they should boo any players.  But that's just me.

I have no idea why people attend pre season games. I think these are REALLY casual fans who barely even know the difference. Could be another perspective of the booing.... low IQ. 

Spring Training I can understand cause it’s a lifestyle and you go for a week or so. You see 2-4 games, you party with baseball fans during the night, Spring Training is nuts. But a NFL Pre Season game is whack. 

Yeah I think some people are overreacting over the boos the stadium wasn't even 1/5 full. Also like people already said it was a heat of the moment reaction. From being hopeful about the new season to having it crushed immediately can mess with some people. It's not a colts thing, If Baker, Wentz, Goff, Brees etc announced retirement less than two weeks before the season they'll  be a lot of boos from angry fans it happens.

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

lucks paycheck is basically tied to how much fans spend and interact. hes essentially a salesman, do you want to debate how a salesman views customers versus someone i  say... hr? or accounting?

So since Luck wont get all of that paycheck, the Colts will refund fans some money, right?

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Rams fans did it with Kurt Warner, who had a lot of the recurring injuries like Luck did. And as a result, we got to watch Kurt Warner go in the Hall of Fame as an Arizona Cardinal.

They booed him off the field when news leaked he was retiring due to injury?

Are you sure about that? 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

They booed him off the field when news leaked he was retiring due to injury?

Are you sure about that? 

No it's not exactly the same. But Warner came out and said the treatment he got from Rams fans was a part of why he associates more with the Cardinals in retirement.

Sometimes it's not just boos when the player takes it personally, and it sounds like Luck did.

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Everyone's paycheck is based on what customer's spend. If customers don't spend you either get paid less or lose your job. That is how business works. Luck is not a salesman. He doesn't get paid on commission. He is salaried just like everyone else. It is dependent on a single sale in anyway shape or form.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No it's not exactly the same. But Warner came out and said the treatment he got from Rams fans was a part of why he associates more with the Cardinals in retirement.

Sometimes it's not just boos when the player takes it personally, and it sounds like Luck did.

I don't even know what you're getting at.

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I think they just booed him when he started sucking in 2002. 

His hand injury was worse than he ever really let on, I think. And so took a long, long time to heal. He had that horrible fumbling problem with the Giants because of it, and everything. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't even know what you're getting at.

His hand injury was worse than he ever really let on, I think. And so took a long, long time to heal. He had that horrible fumbling problem with the Giants because of it, and everything. 

I'm agreeing with and supporting what you said. One of the arguments is that it's no big deal when fans boo a player, because it's just boos. But Warner is an example of where fan treatment matters.

13 minutes ago, Jaytrajik said:

Except they actually have a pretty good team this year sans Luck so hopefully that won't play out. Next year will be the real question mark 

I think that defense, plus Marlon Mack, a great OL and a good WR unit is an above average team without Luck. Brissett is a competent starter, can probably win a few games.

I absolutely see an 8-8 to 10-6 season without Luck. 

12 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

why is it most likely? lets play this out... luck tells irsay. irsay should, and likely did let his gm know, a couple other upper mgmt guys, then coaches find out. maybe a office staff overheard and leaked it, maybe a coach did, or maybe somewhere in that line someone told their agent and they leaked it. so people blindly assume irsay leaked it because why? entirely concievable 30 other people heard the news and leaked it. 

You're right that there's no way for any of us to know definitively whether Irsay leaked the retirement (though Irsay's (very much known) past behavior practically invites precisely that kind of speculation).

On the other hand, your hypothetical explaining how the leak may have played out doesn't do any favors to the Colts' organization. But the mishandling of information pertaining to Andrew Luck, whether perceived or actual, is a big part of why the Colts have had such a bad day.

Archived