Andrew Luck informs Colts he plans to retire

tab

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Everyone's paycheck is based on what customer's spend. If customers don't spend you either get paid less or lose your job. That is how business works. Luck is not a salesman. He doesn't get paid on commission. He is salaried just like everyone else. It is dependent on a single sale in anyway shape or form.

thats not really how business works, which you either already know or youre in for a rude awakening. as a salesman if i have a great year i get paid a whole lote more, as an accountant, my salary may be set at 65k and i get that whether sales are up or down. 

lucks salary is tied to league revenue. which is directly affected by what fans spend. 

Reich is a heck of a coach and he's had Jacoby Brissett for 2 years now.

I am looking forward to see what he can do.

Luck is one of those Hall of Very good guys since he did not play long enough (out of his control mostly) and did not win rings.

He's made about 100m in salary and lots more in endorsements. He walks away from another 30-60 depending on paying back signing bonus.

Football was both very good and bad to him..

I hope he gets his health back and has a great life going forward.

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

thats not really how business works, which you either already know or youre in for a rude awakening. as a salesman if i have a great year i get paid a whole lote more, as an accountant, my salary may be set at 65k and i get that whether sales are up or down. 

lucks salary is tied to league revenue. which is directly affected by what fans spend. 

Life would not exist without liquid water.

One drop of water taken into space is useless and meaningless.

One fan is like that drop of water.

A fan thinking they pay Luck is as self entitled as booing him while injured and retiring. (except worse because they have had time to process)

10 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Every person is paid based on what they bring to the company. Literally everyone. So an HR person doesn't have much room to grow. An analyst can keep getting raises and promotions and get paid tons. That doesn't mean the analyst owes more to the customers than the HR person. The HR person still is only getting paid because the customers are buying. If they aren't then the company is either folding (no one has a job anymore ), smaller and they need less HR (fired) or don't need them to do as much (lower salary). 

And a players salary doesn't go up or down based on sales. It is set by contract and when that contract is up they can negotiate a new one. No where in a player's contract do they get bonuses based on a team's revenue. All unions negotiate wages. Many of them base the amount of wages to be given to workers on revenue or profit. Just like NFL players. This notion that fans have this special relationship with athletes is nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, tab said:

im surprised they didnt ask him to just take a year or a few months off or something

Fundamentally, they can't make him do a job he doesn't want to do.  Right now Andrew Luck wants more than anything else, more than money, or wins, or championships, or accolades, or adulation is "to stop hurting" and while football could give him all those things on the first list, it can't give him "less pain.".

The amount of money that Andrew Luck needs to retire comfortably is much less than the amount of money he already has.

The timing is bad, but that’s a selfish way to look at it. I’m sure this was difficult and has been going back and forth this whole offseason. We don’t know the specifics of what he’s going through to be saying, he should’ve done this earlier. If it turns out that he couldn’t play anywhere near close to his capabilities and would’ve been hindered then what difference does the timing make? 

Like I said before you can be upset at situation and not the man. 

7 minutes ago, tab said:

im surprised they didnt ask him to just take a year or a few months off or something

Its fresh and he is still in constant pain. I am sure they will talk to him about it down the road if he does get healthy and pain free.

He's still 12 years younger than some guys still playing so never say never.

Archived