Andrew Luck informs Colts he plans to retire

tab

8 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Every person is paid based on what they bring to the company. Literally everyone. So an HR person doesn't have much room to grow. An analyst can keep getting raises and promotions and get paid tons. That doesn't mean the analyst owes more to the customers than the HR person. The HR person still is only getting paid because the customers are buying. If they aren't then the company is either folding (no one has a job anymore ), smaller and they need less HR (fired) or don't need them to do as much (lower salary). 

And a players salary doesn't go up or down based on sales. It is set by contract and when that contract is up they can negotiate a new one. No where in a player's contract do they get bonuses based on a team's revenue. All unions negotiate wages. Many of them base the amount of wages to be given to workers on revenue or profit. Just like NFL players. This notion that fans have this special relationship with athletes is nonsense. 

why are you going to a failing business? every company has fluctuations year to year, some people have guarenteed salary and some peoples pay fluctuate with sales. those guys are usuly sales reps  sales managers, etc. i wont even go into the "every person gets paid on what they bring to the company crap" but it simply isnt true.  And hr people have plenty of room for growth, no ckue what youre talking about there but theres plenty of advancement opportunity for those folks are larger companies. 

and yes, player salaries do ultimately go up and down with sales. if players, or you, are so short sighted yo realize that then shame in them. maybe it takes 5-7 years to show up, but eventually it will show up. teams have to spend x on player salary, the more x is the more they have to spend at some point eventually. its that simple.

somewhat offtopic but may i ask what your business background is. granted i only have a about a dozen years or so post college but my experiences arent matching up with what youre saying. like at all.

If ppl want to boo someone, I’ll say it again - boo Ryan Grigson & Jim Irsay for letting this happen to Luck.   It’s historically awful GM work here for handling a young franchise QB (Mewhort wasn’t bad FWIW just unlucky with injuries but otherwise OMG terrible roster management)   

Shocking yo say the least.  Certainly not a decision that he took lightly.  Best of luck in retirement.  Has more than enough money to walk away with his body not completely broken.

Though I don't agree with booing in general, I can also understand fans being upset at the timing and if re all situation.  They had high hopes this year and IMO, they are dashed now.

What could have been if Grigson did not give him such a garbage OL in his initial years.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If ppl want to boo someone, I’ll say it again - boo Ryan Grigson & Jim Irsay for letting this happen to Luck.   It’s historically awful GM work here for handling a young franchise QB.  

Offensive line is often overlooked but extremely important.  Luck got destroyed back there for years, and even now it's still a weak area that would've been a hindrance to the Colts pushing for a deep playoff run.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Offensive line is often overlooked but extremely important.  Luck got destroyed back there for years, and even now it's still a weak area that would've been a hindrance to the Colts pushing for a deep playoff run.  

That oline is pretty good now. And young. 

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Ironic that the new GM Chris Ballard actually addressed OL to the best in Luck’s history.   It’s a top 5 unit now.  It was just too little too late; the damage was done before 2018.  Luck said he’s been in perpetual rehab for FOUR years.

F Ryan Grigson.    

21 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Life would not exist without liquid water.

One drop of water taken into space is useless and meaningless.

One fan is like that drop of water.

A fan thinking they pay Luck is as self entitled as booing him while injured and retiring. (except worse because they have had time to process)

seems like you missed the point. i mean, i guess fans do indirectly pay him. why do you think player saleries have jumped as dramatically as they have in the last 15 years? but again, that wasnt the point. no one has said anywhere that fans can do what they want cause they pay his salary. can you point out where something like that was said. or were you just going off my comment of luck having a vested interest in making sure fans show up and took that leap?

2 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Yeah i get that. But he isnt even 30 at one of the most sustainable position for longevity, coming off a great season, behind a great oline, with a young talented team who just made the playoffs and was one of the favorites going into this season, a big bulky guy who seemed to be all about football.  Seriously it makes no logical sense.  This is beyond strange.

Evidently after everything he has been thru football for him wasn't any fun and/or rewarding for him.  I feel for his team and Colts fans.  They are really in a pickle now.

38 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

seems like you missed the point. i mean, i guess fans do indirectly pay him. why do you think player saleries have jumped as dramatically as they have in the last 15 years? but again, that wasnt the point. no one has said anywhere that fans can do what they want cause they pay his salary. can you point out where something like that was said. or were you just going off my comment of luck having a vested interest in making sure fans show up and took that leap?

The point is obviously that individual fans have the right to boo Luck because they write him an indirect check.(otherwise it is a useless tangent that has zero bearing on this conversation)

• they don't  pay him and they don't have the right to boo in the form of a personal attack unrelated to play on the field and we have the right to call them on it
    • and you have the right to not like that we don't like it

When fans die (they do every day) his check does not change.

If all fans stop showing up he still gets paid and the team moves to another city and still gets 1/32nd of the TV deal.

Its like a voter/tax payer thinking they should be able to stay in the Lincoln Bedroom once every 4 years (exaggeration for effect)

Archived