Andrew Luck informs Colts he plans to retire

tab

15 hours ago, showtime said:

I don't think the issue is Andrew Luck retiring.  I think the issue is the timing of it.  Most people are assuming (unless he said this) that he's retiring because of everything that's happened injuries, rehab, being drained, etc.  A lot of people also know he has a wife and kid(s).  Everyone can understand those reasons for retiring.  It's not that.

People are ticked off because he retired right now.  I know, I know.  He can do whatever he wants, it's his decision, when it's time to hang it up you just know.... yea yea yea.  But that's the reason people are mad.  If he retired in March, almost nobody would be reacting in a rude way to it.  This is the timing and remember... it was his decision to do it now.

He needs to accept those boos.

You need to suck less tbh.

One wonders if "I've made enough money, and the things I have left to accomplish in football are not reasonable to expect, so I'm out" is just going to be a thing going forwards.  There's always going to be guys who keep at it due to shear emotional damage or whatever, but it's not like football is like the NBA where "guys just play the sport in the offseason for fun."

We've gone through a rash of "early retirements because I am concerned about my future health" so there's no reason we can't have a rash of "early retirements because frankly I'm good (and also concerned about my future health)."

Not defending Colts fans that boo’d but that was terrible timing for it to come out with the mixture of smart phones and Luck being on the actual field.  If it came out this morning there’d be your typical jersey burning scumbags but that’s normal these days and would’ve been a lot more comfortable for Luck and the team.  As @ramssuperbowl99 said this was probably leaked by someone with the Colts to make them look like they were torpedo’d a week from the season.  You can’t put it past Irsay.

54 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

ive already gone over this. Explain how youre so certain it was irsay and not on of the 30 other people (on the low end) who very likely heard through a grapevine. Like is there something im missing or are people that desperate to blame irsay?

It is far more likely someone connected with the Colts leaked this than someone with Luck. Like, this doesn't need to be explained. Someone associated with Luck would not leak this during the preseason game. Plus the leak specifically said "he informed the Colts".

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

It is far more likely someone connected with the Colts leaked this than someone with Luck. Like, this doesn't need to be explained. Someone associated with Luck would not leak this during the preseason game. Plus the leak specifically said "he informed the Colts".

like, i already went through this. coaches, gms, vps or other upper mgmt, agents of said people, general office staff. all very likely heard directly or possibly some overheard conversations they werent supposed to hear. realistically thats dozens of people who could have heard, explain why you think it was irsay out of all of those.

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

And the Bengals held Palmer's contact at the time too. And 2021 is literally two years from now. What's your point?

My point being he’s probably done for good. He isn’t obsessed with the NFL like Manning or Brady add in he just got married and a kid on the way and I’d be shocked if he returns.

22 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

My point being he’s probably done for good. He isn’t obsessed with the NFL like Manning or Brady add in he just got married and a kid on the way and I’d be shocked if he returns.

I don't see why you'd think Luck doesn't love football or how what you said makes it less likely he'll return at some point. Once he gets fully healthy and a year or two goes by, he may revaluate that decision. And there will be more than enough interest for someone to trade for his services from the Colts at that time. Do I think he definitely will? Of course not. But I don't think it's an unlikely scenario.

27 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

like, i already went through this. coaches, gms, vps or other upper mgmt, agents of said people, general office staff. all very likely heard directly or possibly some overheard conversations they werent supposed to hear. realistically thats dozens of people who could have heard, explain why you think it was irsay out of all of those.

Sooo people who are under the payroll of the Colts.

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Sooo people who are under the payroll of the Colts.

sure, in some case, some case not (i.e. agents of coaches). Regardless, neither of those are irsay. And you havent been able to answer the simple question of why you think it was him. I suspect the reason is because you know how foolish it is to write because hes a bad guy or a jerk. Is there a legitimate reason youve said it was definitely him, or just judging off what you think you know about him?

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I don't see why you'd think Luck doesn't love football or how what you said makes it less likely he'll return at some point. Once he gets fully healthy and a year or two goes by, he may revaluate that decision. And there will be more than enough interest for someone to trade for his services from the Colts at that time. Do I think he definitely will? Of course not. But I don't think it's an unlikely scenario.

I said he isn’t obsessed like Brady or Manning not that he doesn’t love the game. He’s wired differently then those two. I just don’t see him coming back at all. He’s set up money wise and hopefully walking away with no lingering injuries Which not many NFL players can say.

7 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

sure, in some case, some case not (i.e. agents of coaches). Regardless, neither of those are irsay. And you havent been able to answer the simple question of why you think it was him. I suspect the reason is because you know how foolish it is to write because hes a bad guy or a jerk. Is there a legitimate reason youve said it was definitely him, or just judging off what you think you know about him?

If a coach told their agent then this is still a breach committed by the Colts. of course, all the coaches and players who may have known at the time were all busy with the preseason game.

Irsay is one of the least classy people in sports. If there's one person in the organization petty enough to let this drop during the game, it's him.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

I said he isn’t obsessed like Brady or Manning not that he doesn’t love the game. He’s wired differently then those two. I just don’t see him coming back at all. He’s set up money wise and hopefully walking away with no lingering injuries Which not many NFL players can say.

Was Palmer obsessed with the game though?

16 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Like at the end of the day anyone other than irsay and the upper management working directly under him either had a rock tight alibi in the preseason game or isn't a person close enough to the situation for Schefter to be reasonably sure the info is legit (would he really post this if he merely heard it from an assistant coach's agent? No, he'd verify it, from someone higher in the Colts organization).

Irsay or someone close to him told or at least verified it to schefter during the preseason game.

Wow, just saw this.

Not sure why people are putting Andrew Luck on blast for the timing of his retirement. Don't get me wrong, if he was retiring because of lack of passion or something, I would understand. But the fact of the matter is, this most recent injury probably just made him say enough is enough. I can guarantee he had no intentions of retiring before the draft, so people saying he should have retired then need to put things in perspective. I don't blame Luck one bit.

I definitely feel bad for Colts fans... Definitely a shocking and rough day for them. However, this makes me laugh hysterically when I think about how it affects Jim irsay... The biggest piece of **** in the League.

Archived