Andrew Luck informs Colts he plans to retire

tab

11 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

So I heard something interesting on a podcast.

According to the podcast host I listened to the Colts can’t carry over more then $50 million from 2019 to 2020. At the time the podcast was recorded the host had not heard that the Colts weren’t going to go after the bonus money so he was under the impression that the Colts would gain EVERYTHING back from Luck.

He said the Colts would be gaining over $25 million in cap space and would have to spend it all before the trade deadline. Week 10. 

I know the Browns carried over $56 million from 2018 to 2019. So unless he is aware of something I’m not keen to then he is wrong on that point. 

But, this goes back to the Colts deciding to not go after Luck for the bonus money. If it is true that the Colts have a limit to how much then can carry over and the $50 million is not the exact number. Then the organization deciding not to go after him for the money is in fact a cap maneuver 

And you get the free "bonus" that if Luck ever does decide to come back, you didn't burn the bridge by going after his money.

@GSUeagles14You're right no one is disputing what you're saying.  It's not a court of law Irsay isn't going to be tried criminally. All the beliefs that Irsay leaked it are just opinions no one needs beyond a reasonable doubt.From last Monday to Saturday a lot of ears may have heard the concrete rumblings. It just seems like a controlled release of information for it happening during the game. Irsay has a past of things he shouldn't say or do. 

Anyone booing Luck or burning his jersey really needs to reevaluate themselves. Hate the sense of entitlement people feel nowadays. Baldwin said it best (don't know how to add in tweets):

"How dare Luck not sacrifice his body for MY entertainment. Who cares if your shoulder is too messed up to pick up your child. Who cares if your knees are too messed up to play with your kids. Who cares about the quality of YOUR life, what about the quality of MY Sunday’s?"

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I didn’t play football however I was faced with the choice of retiring early or continuing on and risking not being able to pick up my Grandchildren. It’s a really tough decision. I took a few very short International contracts about a year after I retired.

I think your correct. He has the opportunity to re-evaluate down the road. I think it really depends on his health concerns and what negatives are possible with a return. 

I think you’re also correct that teams would be willing to give him a chance if/when he wants to return.

Constant pain is mentally gruelling and it slowly destroys positivity, Many on the forum are judging his decision, his timing etc. Until people have lived with pain, constant physio, and successfully dealt with the mental challenges they can’t fully 7nderstand what a Luck has dealt with. 

Yeah, chronic pain wears on your psyche, and that's how Luck looked during his press conference. He just looked worn down mentally and emotionally.

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i completley understand people WANT to blame irsauy because they think hes a bad guy. im not disputing that.  IM pointing out that theres dozens of options for who couldve been the leak and then lets look at some excused we've gotten. "Coaches woulnt have time to text, couldnt be them", "Schefter wouldnt trust a qb coach, had to be someone at the top" I mean, a qb coach arguably spends more time with the actual qb than anyone else. But for some people come up with these ideas they have to be treated as fact regardless of how half baked they are? No one can present a truly logical reason it was irsay over a dozen other folks, almost everytime its boiled down to THEY thinking hes a bad guy. And that may be the case but doesnt mean he leaked it, none of us have any clue who did. 

I think all we're trying to argue is that there's precedence for Irsay doing this. 

Occam's Razor dictates that the simplest solution is usually the right one - we can all speculate about everyone in the Colts organization, but the easiest solution based on multiple factors and one that requires the least amount of "leap of faith" based on past experiences is... Irsay leaked it.

If you're not willing to see that as the logical conclusion, then your burden of proof is basically Irsay admitting to it - which is an unreasonable burden of proof.

59 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Anyone booing Luck or burning his jersey really needs to reevaluate themselves. Hate the sense of entitlement people feel nowadays. Baldwin said it best (don't know how to add in tweets):

"How dare Luck not sacrifice his body for MY entertainment. Who cares if your shoulder is too messed up to pick up your child. Who cares if your knees are too messed up to play with your kids. Who cares about the quality of YOUR life, what about the quality of MY Sunday’s?"

I 100% agree with this. That said, booing (while I think in this instance is terrible), could also be translated to:

*Why do this NOW?

*We are going to lose NOW

*I never would have re-upped my season tickets!

Since this happened in Indianapolis, I don't feel bad for anyone. However, unfortunately I think that all 30 NFL fanbases do this if their 29 year old superstar Franchise QB makes this move with a week/two to go in the preseason.

I'm disappointed in this as well and I think Luck should have made this decision earlier. That said you don't boo this guy. This guy's been through so much and just can't handle it anymore. I wish him all the best in retirement. 

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I 100% agree with this. That said, booing (while I think in this instance is terrible), could also be translated to:

*Why do this NOW?

Since this happened in Indianapolis, I don't feel bad for anyone. However, unfortunately I think that all 30 NFL fanbases do this if their 29 year old superstar Franchise QB makes this move with a week/two to go in the preseason.

Strongly disagree.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:
39 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Why do this NOW?

Strongly disagree.

me too. there are 32 fanbases.

maybe 31 if you discount the jaguars having a fanbase

39 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Why do this NOW?

If you are complaining about re-upping your season tickets your not a true fan. What if Luck didnt retire and he went down with a season ending injury week 1 are you going to want your money back then? Even though it is a sport, its a business, and human beings are actually involved. Just like any other business there is a time when you wake up and say im done working and want to retire. Injuries that have plagued him for several years caught up to him and he no longer enjoyed what he did for a living. He is young has a decent amount of money, more then 90% of Americans will ever have so why put your life at risk that much more if you are in constant pain while doing it? Some media members criticized him for being a quitter yet these lazy bums have yet to step on a field and take a hit constantly for 6 months out of a year for 15+ years. Its not an ideal time but he also didnt have this new injury plague him until now to where it has drained him mentally and physically. Any fan/media person who thinks of this is a negative thing and puts him on the page as a quitter, keep in mind you only watch him for 3 hours a week for 16 weeks you have no clue how these people are impacted off the field having to recharge and recover before going on to the field a week later to get beat up all over again

Damn I just realized how much crazy obstacles Ballard had to deal with. 2017 had to put up with Pagano when he wanted to hire his own thank Irsay. 2018 McDaniels ditches him last minute though that turned out great with Reich. Now this huge news with Luck gone just as he was building this team up to be title contenders. Despite all this he has done a great job with building the team.

Archived