Andrew Luck informs Colts he plans to retire

tab

What's he supposed to do about timing when the guy writing  his checks told him to put off the decision as long as possible?

It was poor advice to be Frank. And if they IR'd him to return week 8 to contemplate more the fans would of gotten their hopes up more. There's no right way to handle these things anymore with modern media.

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Put it this way, Jay Cutler went through the motions and took the cash as long as someone would pay him. Andrew Luck had too much character to do that. 

I heard on the radio today that Luck should voluntarily give the money back that he didn't earn this year. So I feel as though people are viewing him in the same light.  

- peeing blood part of job description 

- torn cartridge in ribs part of job description. 

- concussions same way.

- never getting into contract disputes or commenting on personal issues plus trait as a players franchise qb.

The only differences between Lucks career and how it ended and Tony Romo's.

- Romo's job got taken by Dak.

- Romo had back issues and punctured lung yet continued the cycle because of Dallas and their playoff aspirations. 

- Luck saw his career heading the same direction as Tony Romo's so he ended that cycle early in the process.

- Jacoby Brissett doesn't have a ceiling of a Rookie Dak coming out of no where with that solid floor.

Peter King  leading headline this morning was about Luck obviously:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/26/fmia-andrew-luck-the-colts-and-the-retirement-that-rocked-nfls-world/

Aug. 4, Colts camp, Westfield, Ind — I ask Indianapolis quarterback Andrew Luck: “Opening day’s five weeks from today. Any doubt you’ll play?”

“No,” Luck says. “No doubt. I certainly believe I will.”

Aug. 19, owner Jim Irsay’s office, Colts headquarters, Indianapolis — Luck has asked to meet with Irsay, GM Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich.

Luck says: “I’m tired, and I’m in pain. I’m gonna retire.”

Luck’s two statements, 15 days apart, say that this was a bolt out of the blue—either that or that he wasn’t being straight with me. Those two statements sound incongruous. How could such a great quarterback, coming off his best pro season at just 29 years old, make what appeared to be such an impulsive decision? Though I did not speak with Luck this weekend, I don’t think it was impulsive, I do think he was being straight with me, and I understand how Luck’s world could totally flip in two weeks. I think it began flipping a few days after we spoke.

The same day Luck told me there was no doubt he’d play in the opener, Reich told me Luck’s latest injury, to his left calf, was “like child’s play” compared to his return after all his shoulder issues. But in the days after Luck talked to me in training camp, he felt more pain in rehab. Further examination revealed a more extensive and slightly mysterious injury stretching from the calf to his ankle. There would be no quick fix. More rehab, and a good chance he’d either have to play hobbled, and in significant pain, if he played at the start of the season. And if he didn’t play to start the season, he’d be a question mark hovering over the franchise, as he’d been in 2015 (shoulder injury, fractured ribs, kidney laceration), 2016 (played through shoulder pain all year), 2017 (missed the year after labrum surgery) and the off-season and training camp of 2018 (shoulder soreness). Then four months of feeling good and playing great. Then, when he ramped up workouts for 2019, last March, this calf/ankle thing appeared and just wouldn’t go away.

Peter reminiscing about Luck:

There are players in the NFL—Brady and Brees come to mind—who will play till someone tears the uniform off them. Luck never gave the impression that he’d be a player who’d play that long, but he also never gave the impression he’d play as a broken-down guy. I’ll never forget interviewing him at the 2012 combine in Indianapolis, and asking him about his off-field habits. At Stanford, he didn’t have cable-TV for most of his time on campus, and he rode a bike through campus like every other student, and he had a passion for reading. “Now don’t go making me into a nerd!” he told me that night.

“School’s important,” Luck said that night, “but football’s always been more important. The more I play, the more I love it. I’ve gotten to the point where, the more you learn about the game, the less you know. I want to learn more about it all the time.”

That same weekend, the Kansas City Chiefs, who were in the market for a quarterback, spent one of their allotted 15-minute interview periods with Luck. Coach Romeo Crennel and GM Scott Pioli wanted to know what he liked to do away from football.

“Read,” Luck said.

“What’s your favorite book?” Pioli said.

“ ’Papillon,’ “ said Luck. That’s the 1969 book about imprisonment of a Frenchman wrongly convicted of murder. “I like historical fiction.” And architecture too. In a bus on the way to his first NFL game, at Soldier Field in Chicago, he told then-QB coach Clyde Christensen stories about the architectural marvels of Chicago.

Brissett got to Indianapolis on Labor Day weekend 2017. Two weeks later, he was the Colts’ starter for the rest of the year, starting an inglorious 15 games, winning four … and engendering envy from the franchise guy he barely knew.

Luck opened a vein Saturday night about Brissett. “Coming back into the building early last year, I was very jealous of this fun, happy dude that was in my spot as the quarterback on this team. I obviously did not have any confidence in myself either. I could not have been more wrong—in so many ways. A lifelong friend, he means so, so much to me. He’s a big part of me, and a big part of me having one of the more rewarding years of my life last year. Cannot wait to support him and see him lead this team.”

Luck’s buddy Hasselbeck was struck by that too. “I got texts from QBs around the league, saying they got choked up about the relationship between Andrew and Jacoby,” Hasselbeck said. “That was beautiful.”

Rich Ohrnberger was drafted by the Patriots and used to play for the Chargers. He provides a little insight into his own retirement after seeing Luck's, and the pains that football players go through.

I know it's already been debunked.  However is there a Time limit (years) preventing Luck from returning to the NFL or XFL in the future? Or do the Colts own his rights? He retired.

All I can think of is Farve circumventing GB by going to the Vikings with a 1 year layover as a Jet? Can he take the year off and return to Football not as a Colt? Not suggesting that's his intention at all but players change their minds all the time,  just curious?

1 hour ago, ET80 said:
1 hour ago, Eagles $5$ said:

The Colts should tank the next two years for Trevor Lawrence.

No, no they should not.

I'm just quoting this because the like button doesn't show me 😂😂😂😂😂 at your worst nightmare. 

Manning 

Luck

Lawrence 

It be like the QB equivalent of the Steelers and hiring HC. 😎

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

I know it's already been debunked.  However is there a Time limit (years) preventing Luck from returning to the NFL or XFL in the future? Or do the Colts own his rights? He retired.

All I can think of is Farve circumventing GB by going to the Vikings with a 1 year layover as a Jet? Can he take the year off and return to Football not as a Colt? Not suggesting that's his intention at all but players change their minds all the time,  just curious?

I think theoretically the Colts still own his rights unless they waive those somehow.  Kind of like how it was pointed out for years after Barry Sanders retired that if he came back, he'd have to come back as a Lion.

To answer your question specifically, i don't believe there's a time limit.

The reason Favre could go to the Vikings was because the Jets released his rights.

He remained part of the Jets organization until April 28, 2009, when the Jets released Favre from his contract, thus allowing him to sign anywhere he wanted. By May 2009, he was officially cut from the Jets Reserve/Retired list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre#New_York_Jets_(2008)

14 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I actually did and one of the biggest coaches in High School Football retired and people didnt get their panties in a bunch when he did even though it is one of the most successful products in High School Football. George Smith from St Thomas Aquinas produced the highest pro level football players in the NFL. The school didnt riot and they still carry the level of greatness with out him on the field. He stepped down for a couple of years and came back to be AD for the school but Coach Harriott runs the show. 

LOL

The guy retired 8-9 months BEFORE the season started AND he had a transition plan/exit plan. He didn't suddenly retire a week or two before their first game. That was my entire point. 

So yes no school is going to cry over a teacher leaving, demanding refunds for their children because a teacher or coach left.

They absolutely WILL if that happens with a week to go before the year/school.

If you think other wise i agree to disagree

Great

but dont tell me what i have or havent done cause you dont know me.

You missed my entire point about timing and then got defensive.

Archived