Roster cut downs

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

we probably check the trade market for Glennon. Colts, Panthers, Jags all have serious backup QB issues

I was just thinking about this.  There is a good market this year to trade away a QB if you have 2 quality backups.

Glennon or Peterman I don't care. Peterman maybe could hide on PS but I doubt it. Go with experience or youth we're screwed if Carr goes down for extended time. I was going to say 'this season' but if Carr has a significant injury Chucky may get out the knife and start hacking at our roster again next season. I hope not cause I'm 100% behind Carr but know many aren't on this board and I can't take another off season of 'rumors' with the Vegas move on top of everything else. We need some early wins for this group to gel and pck up steam. We've got talent but it's like gas. Can make things go really fast or explode and go off track.

I'd like to go with only 2 QB's as I'd like as many of the UDFA's who have impressed to make the 53 at least until Incognitoreturns. Then it will be who showed what they had those two games and who was riding pine. Doss is a fan fav so I have to wonder if he's our typical preseason crush. DT cuts will be interesting for other teams watching.

44 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

On Hard knocks Doss also seemed eager to play special teams. Would be something if the Raiders keep 7WRs

We're definitely not keeping 7 WR, there's no reason too. You have AB, Williams, Nelson, and Renfrow as the top 4 guys. You can move AB/Williams around, play Renfrow in the slot, and play Nelson on the outside to take the top off of the defense. Doss is good depth because he can play all 3 WR spots and play special teams as the 5th guy and you only carry Harris as the 6th WR because he's a special teams ace. No real reason to carry Ateman or Grant, they don't offer anything that the 6 we're keeping can't give us. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We're definitely not keeping 7 WR, there's no reason too. You have AB, Williams, Nelson, and Renfrow as the top 4 guys. You can move AB/Williams around, play Renfrow in the slot, and play Nelson on the outside to take the top off of the defense. Doss is good depth because he can play all 3 WR spots and play special teams as the 5th guy and you only carry Harris as the 6th WR because he's a special teams ace. No real reason to carry Ateman or Grant, they don't offer anything that the 6 we're keeping can't give us. 

I think the available spot is between Nelson and Grant. I wouldn't say Nelson is clearly more valuable than Grant, he's pretty one dimensional and hasn't been consitent either throughout his career. I see Nelson as a guy who could take over for Williams as a deep threat if he's injured at some point. Grant can play multiple roles so i'd keep him as a backup. But keeping one over the other shouldn't mean much in the end.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

I think the available spot is between Nelson and Grant. I wouldn't say Nelson is clearly more valuable than Grant, he's pretty one dimensional and hasn't been consitent either throughout his career. I see Nelson as a guy who could take over for Williams as a deep threat if he's injured at some point. Grant can play multiple roles so i'd keep him as a backup. But keeping one over the other shouldn't mean much in the end.

Grant and Renfrow are redundant, they're both slot receivers with no special teams value. The staff loves Renfrow and has been singing his praises all training camp/preseason. He's younger and cheaper than Grant so he should get the nod. Gruden and Carr have sung Nelson's praises and he hasn't really played much during the preseason which is a good sign for him. He can take the top off of a defense and he was one of the best deep threats in the league when he played with Carson Palmer. You can always use more speed and defenses will have to respect him and Williams which should open up things underneath for AB, Renfrow, and our RB's out of the backfield. 

I disagree that Nelson hasn't been consistent. As a rookie, he had so-so production but in years two and three he had a combined 63 catches for 1,076 yards (17.0 avg)  and 8 TD. Obviously, he didn't really produce last season but Rosen and the Cardinals offense was abysmal and he only had 19 targets in 14 games. Grant couldn't even produce with Andrew Luck and they didn't have any interest in bringing him back for a reason. 

Edited by NYRaider

My Final 53 man roster prediction

Offense (25) 

QB: Carr | Glennon | Peterman

RB: Jacobs | Washington | Richard

FB: Ingold

WR: Brown | Williams | Renfrow | Nelson | Doss | Harris

TE: Waller | Moreau | Carrier

OT: Brown | Miller | Parker 

OG: Jackson | Incognito | Good | Cooper 

C: Hudson | Devey 

Defense (25) 

DE: Ferrell | Key | Mauro | Mayowa | Crosby 

DT: Hankins | Hurst | Hall | Liuget | Rush  

OLB: Whitehead | Marshall | Morrow

ILB: Burfict | Lee | Wilber

CB: Conley | Worley | Joyner | Mullens | Nixon 

S: Abram | Joseph | Harris | Riley 

Special Teams (3) 

K: Carlson

P: Cole

LS: Seig 

This is the 53 I'd roll with
QB (2): Derek Carr, Nate Peterman, (I'd try to flip Gennon to the Colts for a conditional late rounder, but should have gone for it when Luck announced tbh)
RB (4): Josh Jacobs, Jalen Richard, DeAndre Washington, Mack Brown
FB (1): Alex Ingold
WR (6): Antonio Brown, Tyrell Williams, Hunter Renfrow, JJ Nelson, Keelan Doss, Dwayne Harris (ST)
TE (3): Darren Waller, Fabian Moreau, Derek Carrier
T (4): Kolton Miller, Trent Brown, Brandon Parker, David Sharpe
G (4): Gabe Jackson, Richie Incognito, Denzelle Good, Denver Kirkland, (Lester Cotton, but expose him to waivers while Gabe Jackson gets 53 man Friday and IR to return Saturday)
C(1): Rodney Hudson
Offense (25/53)

DE (4): Clelin Ferrell, Arden Key, Max Crosby, Benson Mayowa
DT (5): Jonathan Hankins, Justin Ellis, Maurice Hurst, PJ Hall (I think PJ Hall can play the large base end which gives him DT spot and lets Mauro move on), Corey Liuget, (Ethan Westbrooks or Antony Rush, but expose him to waivers while Justin Ellis gets 53 man Friday and IR to return Saturday)
LB (7): Vontaze Burfict, Tahir Whitehead, Brandon Marshall, Nicholas Marrow, Jason Cabinda, Marquel Lee, Te'von Coney
CB (5): Gareon Conley, Daryl Worley, Trayvon Mullen, Isiah Johnson, Keishawn Nixon
S (4): Jonathan Abram, Lamarcus Joyner, Karl Joseph, Erik Harris

Defense (25/53)
LS (1): Trent Sieg
K (1): Daniel Carlson
P (1): AJ Cole
Special Teams (3/53)

I'd like to snipe Tanoh Kpassagnon to fill the role Josh Mauro was envisioned to be if the Chiefs let him go. I get he was disappointing, but I would like to test him out. Another guy that has disappointed and may get cut that I'd like to give a shot is Joshua Garnett. He was an awesome prospect and I'd like to give him a shot if he is released. Worst case is he is still bad, but with Gabe hurt, and Incognito suspended I could see Garnett as a potential guy that could see the field for a few games to see if it's worth it.

Vic has predicted that the Raiders keep 7 WRs. I mentioned it yesterday and I think it’s an actual possibility. 

Will be interesting in seeing if the Raiders IR some players. J.Ellis and I.Johnson come to mind. Both would need to make the initial 53 man roster to be able to come back this season. I sense that will happen with Johnson. 

Edited by agarcia34