Trade Rumors

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Danger said:

If you guys want to get nothing for Clowney and just let him walk then by all means go ahead

What makes you think the Texans are going to LET him walk? The Texans have $45mm in caps space AFTER tagging Clowney, and no pressing need to resign anyone - Zach Cunningham, DJ Reader and Whitney Mercilius come to mind, but Lamar Miller and Jonathan Joseph are coming off the books, so that's MORE money to leverage on another tag. Even if there is a 120% escalator next season, the Texans can cover that pretty easily, with a lot of change to spare.

There's two more years to this if the Texans choose to go this route - and that's assuming the Texans and Clowney don't make nice between now and 2021 and don't come to a long term extension. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

The Texans don't really hold as many cards as you think you do in this case

Explain to me what cards they don't hold. Do they not have a franchise tag next off-season? How about the season after that? Is there some CBA change that's going to alter the use of the franchise tag? 

This isn't chess, it's actually pretty basic. Tag him, play him for 16, rinse and repeat... and rinse and repeat. If you can trade him for your required return (which Miami is seemingly offering up - don't forget that part) then move him. If you can find a deal to secure him long term at a rate you can live with, then do that.

Trading him for roster fodder and a 2nd? That shouldn't happen.

41 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Not a rumor just a suggestion. David Johnson & a 3rd for Clowney?

I'm not saying no immediately, but OL is more pressing of a need. DJ has his own injury history to account for and I have no idea on his contract situation. 

The Texans will cobble together a run game - it's actually something BOB is good at, getting a bunch of no name RBs and putting together a functional rushing attack. He got here right around the time Arian Foster started to fall apart, but he managed to get a "top half" run offense with guys like Alfred Blue, Jonathan Grimes and Chris Polk as the bellcows.

RB is a need, but it's a luxury.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

What makes you think the Texans are going to LET him walk? The Texans have $45mm in caps space AFTER tagging Clowney, and no pressing need to resign anyone - Zach Cunningham, DJ Reader and Whitney Mercilius come to mind, but Lamar Miller and Jonathan Joseph are coming off the books, so that's MORE money to leverage on another tag. Even if there is a 120% escalator next season, the Texans can cover that pretty easily, with a lot of change to spare.

There's two more years to this if the Texans choose to go this route - and that's assuming the Texans and Clowney don't make nice between now and 2021 and don't come to a long term extension. 

Explain to me what cards they don't hold. Do they not have a franchise tag next off-season? How about the season after that? Is there some CBA change that's going to alter the use of the franchise tag? 

This isn't chess, it's actually pretty basic. Tag him, play him for 16, rinse and repeat... and rinse and repeat. If you can trade him for your required return (which Miami is seemingly offering up - don't forget that part) then move him. If you can find a deal to secure him long term at a rate you can live with, then do that.

Trading him for roster fodder and a 2nd? That shouldn't happen.

There's bad blood now and 90% of the time once that happens it's too late to go back. Clowney doesn't really want to be there for the organization that's trying to skimp out on him by labeling his franchise tag as an OLB. 

The NFL needs to reclassify their positions as EDGE rusher, Defensive Interior, and LB. 3-4 OLBs are the same as DEs, and 3-4 DT are basically the same as defensive tackles. If you tag him again, I almost guarantee he holds out.

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

There's bad blood now and 90% of the time once that happens it's too late to go back. Clowney doesn't really want to be there for the organization that's trying to skimp out on him by labeling his franchise tag as an OLB. 

From what local media says - the team doesn't designate position, the league office does. The Texans tag the player, the league designates the position.

I haven't had a chance to corroborate this, but worthy of note.

I don't discount there is bad blood, but if one thing has really stood out in all of this - it's that th Texans "flat" FO simply doesn't give a damn. They're going to operate like this, feelings be damned.

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

The NFL needs to reclassify their positions as EDGE rusher, Defensive Interior, and LB. 3-4 OLBs are the same as DEs, and 3-4 DT are basically the same as defensive tackles. If you tag him again, I almost guarantee he holds out.

I don't disagree with the premise on position category.

But, Clowney doesn't have the leverage to hold out a la Lev Bell; He's had significant work ethic and "culture fit" questions pop up since his days at SC, so those will only amplify if Clowney starts missing games. Also - Lev Bell is a bit of a cautionary tale on what NOT to do, because he lost a year of tenure that'll hit his pension and lost out on money if you believe the offers put out by Pittsburgh.

Also - don't want to be THAT guy - but Lev Bell was the best player at his position at the time he took his sabbatical. Arguments could be made for Zeke, Gurley - but Bell was the BMOC at RB, and teams knew what they were getting from a performance perspective from Lev.

Can we say the same about Clowney? Is he the best edge/OLB in the league with a history of consistent performance? Would you want to risk big money on him AFTER he took a season off?

Holding out would cause more damage than good - just like it did for Lev Bell.

Just now, Malfatron said:

People are saying the Colts should trade for Eli.

that would be so dumb.

roll with Brissett, and if he flames out, draft a qb

I thought about this. I suppose it depends on how you felt about Eli and Brissett. The problem for me is that I don't know that Eli is still a starting quarterback capable of leading a team to the playoffs. I definitely don't feel that way about Brissett, so if they did think of Eli in that way, I would understand such a move. But since I don't think Eli can do that either, I would agree that it would be foolish to move for Eli. I could understand the move if they made it, I just wouldn't agree with hit. 

13 minutes ago, Starless said:

If there's someone on the Pats roster I'd recommend the Texans trade for it's Rex Burkhead. He's not a bell cow back but he can be very effective in a platoon.

He's probably the one guy I'm thinking will be picked up once he's cut. Given we've already traded a 3rd for Duke Johnson, we're not coughing up any more picks for a RB.

Whichever Pats RB is cut will have the inside track for the gig. Pats are probably keeping Michel, White, Damien Harris and James Devlin at FB - so Burkhead or Brandon Bolden will probably be picked up once they're dropped.

Archived