Will Pace Look For Vet Help At OT After Cutdowns

soulman

33 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Miami released Jordan Mills today with an injury settlement. Without looking up what his injury was or how long before he’ll be healed, he’d be a real good option for us as a swing IMO if healthy soon.  

Miami news says he'd lost his starting RT spot a week or so ago which could have been injury related or maybe not.  Nothing about an injury was reported.

I sometimes wonder if some players don't malinger during preseason just to move on if they can.

Mills already collected his $1 mil guarantee so even if he signs on elsewhere as a backup for a league minimum he's makes nearly $2 mil and may be better off than where he was.

I have no problem with us kicking his tires if he's healthy enough to practice and play but that the big IF.

He's probably no better or worse than most anyone else we could sign for RT depth but he's no LT for sure.

Some names to look at

Jax

Ben Ijalana, has started games at LT and probably gets cut.

Pit

Jerald Hawkins, has 1 start and has been developed in a stellar OL factory and looks like the odd man out.

Oak

David Sharpe, huge long armed player who has played at both LT and RT

Phi

Big V, the cadillac of back up OT options.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 10:21 AM, AZBearsFan said:

I’d go so far as to say we won’t trade for anyone unless it’s because Leno or Massie is out for the year. Both are locked in at least this and next year at starter money. We can’t reasonably sacrifice further draft capital for a guy who won’t play at all outside of attrition. 

That said, of course Pace is looking at other options. He’s incredibly thorough. 

We have been very blessed by Massie and Leno health.

I think if the Bears can add a decent option behind them that it is probably worth exploring. I would easily part with a day 3 pick to ensure a better option at swing OT.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

We have been very blessed by Massie and Leno health.

I think if the Bears can add a decent option behind them that it is probably worth exploring. I would easily part with a day 3 pick to ensure a better option at swing OT.

I don’t think entirely it’s off the table, but I think we are FAR more likely to bring in a veteran cut of likely comparable ability without having to give up a pick to acquire them. Neither add would be a guy we would want having to play much if at all. I’m looking for someone who generally won’t get your QB killed at that spot. A below average veteran starter who just got canned elsewhere is probably going to be able to fit that mold, where as anyone with a developing player in that role isn’t getting rid of them via trade without charging a premium anyway since every team wants/needs that exact fit.