Vikings vs. Steelers in 1972

Uncle Buck

I just found this on YouTube.  It's a game between the Vikings and Steelers from back in 1972.  Fellow old guys such as myself might like the commercials almost as much as the game.  Younger fans, this is what it was like back in the days of old - bad picture and all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Younger fans, this is what it was like back in the days of old - bad picture and all.

It was probably on tape delay too! That's so long ago, I'm surprised it's not black and white...

Guessing vd was out of college already when this game was played

Ha, brilliant. You can tell they're not as athletic, and the technique isn't great compared to today (tackles are too high, lots of arm tackling) - but it's brilliantly chaotic, harder and it's surprising to see a lot of similar running formations to today. Running doesn't seem to have changed tooo much. Is that Jack Lambert's lot?

also...Ford Torino.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Klomp said:

It was probably on tape delay too! That's so long ago, I'm surprised it's not black and white...

Guessing vd was out of college already when this game was played

We had just completed our "Hunters and Gatherers" degrees by then.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 6:13 PM, Uncle Buck said:

I just found this on YouTube.  It's a game between the Vikings and Steelers from back in 1972.  Fellow old guys such as myself might like the commercials almost as much as the game.  Younger fans, this is what it was like back in the days of old - bad picture and all.

Thanks for posting this. It was a lot of fun to watch. I hope the '72 Vikings spent a lot of time working on the red zone offense after this. It was rough down there getting stopped on 4th down, missing a FG when Krause botched the hold, missing the fake FG attempt when Krause's pass attempt fell incomplete...

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Thanks for posting this. It was a lot of fun to watch. I hope the '72 Vikings spent a lot of time working on the red zone offense after this. It was rough down there getting stopped on 4th down, missing a FG when Krause botched the hold, missing the fake FG attempt when Krause's pass attempt fell incomplete...

Yeah, we had a good team that year but that Steel Curtain defense had to be tough in the red zone.

On 8/25/2019 at 10:24 PM, SteelKing728 said:

I'll have to check back in on this. I haven't followed the Steelers much for a while now, but they used to be my 2nd favorite team, and I love James Conner.

I appreciate it, UB!

No problem buddy.  You were the first person I thought of when I posted it because it's your two favorite teams.  ;)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vike daddy said:

fun fact: we tried to trade you to another fanbase a few years back, during your Knucklehead Era.

we got no offers.

Now why would you want subject another forum to all that? I was a handful back then. Haha!!

Although to be honest, I look at the posts on Facebook and Twitter nowadays from people who are older than me now and find posts that are at the same level I was as a teenager. You guys did a great job with me, and I'm extremely thankful for it. Be proud of that! 😁😁

• Like 3