Dolphins cut S TJ McDonald

RaidersAreOne

43 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

He's still a solid safety but we're stacked at the position.

Stacked at the position is having Fitzpatrick and Jones?  Won't stacked at the position mean you have four legit players not two, used to have three but not anymore unless they are thinking of moving Rowe to safety which might happen.

I guess why not cut him but I assume he will be picked up shortly, lucky you have a superstar in Fitzpatrick which makes it not that important unless he gets hurt.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

checks Dolphins depth chart

Reshad Jones, Bobby McCain and Minkah Fitzpatrick?

Stacked is the wrong word, perhaps, but those three are pretty excellent players... it's easily the strongest position on the roster (not that that's saying much). Fitzpatrick will likely be on the field for virtually every defensive snap whiel Jones and McCain will see significant playing time. McDonald is the odd man out.

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Stacked is the wrong word, perhaps, but those three are pretty excellent players... it's easily the strongest position on the roster (not that that's saying much). Fitzpatrick will likely be on the field for virtually every defensive snap whiel Jones and McCain will see significant playing time. McDonald is the odd man out.

I just saw Jones has a $17m cap hit this year. Good lord. I know he's a quality player but that seems damn steep. 

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

If Jones was going to be a cap casualty he'd have probably been one by now.

I don't think he's going to be, just pointing out that's a hefty price tag for a box safety. Much more than I expected and it stuck out because I wasn't expecting that.

Edit: not to say Jones is strictly limited to the box (though maybe he is at this point in his career, idk) just that's how they use him from the games I've watched in the last couple years.

Edited by Dome

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don't think he's going to be, just pointing out that's a hefty price tag for a box safety. Much more than I expected and it stuck out because I wasn't expecting that.

That's fair. We're a woefully inept organization. Frankly how he's still here after literally quitting on the team last season is more baffling than his cap hit.

Jones does have versatility though - he's not strictly an in-the-box safety.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Jones does have versatility though - he's not strictly an in-the-box safety.

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

Edit: not to say Jones is strictly limited to the box (though maybe he is at this point in his career, idk) just that's how they use him from the games I've watched in the last couple years.

I KNEW my edit wasn't gonna be quick enough xD

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

I just saw Jones has a $17m cap hit this year. Good lord. I know he's a quality player but that seems damn steep. 

Contract restructure problem that gave the Fins cap space in the past, knowing they'd have to pay Jones some Ridiculous Money vs Production in the future. 

Future is now, pay up suckers. 

6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

True if McCain transition well to the position, but look at the Vikings roster last year, that was more 'stacked' at the safety position in terms of depth.  Had youth talent with Harris and Kearse and vet experience with Smith, Sendejo and Illoka.  

Harrison Smith (Pro Bowler)
Andrew Sendejo (potential starter on the Eagles former starter on the Vikings)
Anthony Harris (starter on the Vikings)
Jayron Kearse (potential starter on the Vikings)
George Illoka (former long time starter on the Bengals)

Stacked is the 2001 Miami Hurricanes where Ed Reed was the starter and Sean Taylor was a nickle and backup, both Hall of Fame players at the position, Reed is in it and Sean Taylor would have been. ;o)