Do the Packers have the worst ILB corps in the NFL?

FAH1223

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If somebody wants to run 25 snaps into the teeth of a front line with Clark, Z, and Preston on it, that group will get enough stops we won't bleed out on it, even with crap behind it, and Martinez alone keeps it from being pure crap. 

And honestly, if teams are serious about committing to it, Lancaster can eat snaps against a run heavy team and be an actual presence.  Doesn't look like he took the step as a pass rusher I was hail mary hoping for, but a Clark/Lancaster front is going to be downright immoveable this year.

This is the type of conversation I'd like to have in person.  That way I could challenge somebody to name 10 other starting inside linebackers in the NFL. 

It's also not a very fair question.  Are you referring to pass coverage or run coverage or both?  Because if you're honestly afraid of Martinez handling the run, you really haven't been paying attention to him.  Then what about the teams with purely coverage linebackers that can't stop the run? 

Also, even the great linebackers aren't as effective as Martinez will be this year purely because of Blake's help.  Kenny Clark kinda makes ILB easier.  If you don't understand that concept, I really wish you would.  Even Hall of Fame ILB can't do much without a good DL.  Ray Lewis even admitted that himself.  They drafted Ngata and suddenly he was dominant again.  Surprise. 

Considering all of that, our ILB group is probably closer to average than worst. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is the type of conversation I'd like to have in person.  That way I could challenge somebody to name 10 other starting inside linebackers in the NFL. 

It's also not a very fair question.  Are you referring to pass coverage or run coverage or both?  Because if you're honestly afraid of Martinez handling the run, you really haven't been paying attention to him.  Then what about the teams with purely coverage linebackers that can't stop the run? 

Also, even the great linebackers aren't as effective as Martinez will be this year purely because of Blake's help.  Kenny Clark kinda makes ILB easier.  If you don't understand that concept, I really wish you would.  Even Hall of Fame ILB can't do much without a good DL.  Ray Lewis even admitted that himself.  They drafted Ngata and suddenly he was dominant again.  Surprise. 

Considering all of that, our ILB group is probably closer to average than worst. 

Blake is fine against the run. But Blake isn't covering anyone effectively.

Those no-names that they've signed off the street aren't covering anyone either. 

6 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

Those no-names that they've signed off the street aren't covering anyone either. 

Can you share your analysis of the ILB corps on the other 31 teams please so I can understand how they stack up against the run and in coverage?

Presumably you have done that if you think The Packers have one of the worst.

I’m sat in Prague Airport at the moment and WiFi is shocking otherwise I’d research it myself but there’s no point wasting my time if you’ve done the job already.

Just now, FAH1223 said:

So no offense, but do you think everyone runs a Tampa 2, or is a coverage ILB less important to some teams than others? 

Who do you expect Martinez to have to cover on 3rd and 7+?  You think he's going to be matched up one on one versus Travis Kelce? 

I was expecting to see much more from Crawford given the glowing praise heaped upon him by Gute at the end of last year.

And he's just not looked good at ILB.

The other younger kids are fine.

Blake is a fine ILB.  Tackling machine who is as assignment sure as anyone in the league.

It's not ideal that Burks has been hurt and that Josh Jones didn't want to play a hybrid role.  But as long as Blake is in there, the unit will be fine.

And let them try to run.

We got some tough guys inside that can shut it down.

I just get bothered by this thread because half the people wouldn't know good ILB play if they saw it. 

I am willing to bet that everyone would crap their pants excited if we traded for Kiko Alonso.  They see his athleticism and a couple highliht reel plays per year and assume he's amazing. 

Then you actually look at it and Alonso is literally the 11th worst-rated player in the league and Blake Martinez sitting here quietly with the highest grade in the NFC North at ILB. 

https://lombardiave.com/2019/02/18/packers-blake-martinez-pff-grade-nfc-north-linebackers/

But Alonso had 3 interceptions last year, so people literally out there thinking players like Alonso are among the best in the league. 

I really wish I had asked for rankings from people before I posted this.  I guarantee you, people would have rated Alonso at least 10 rankings higher than Martinez. 

I also really, really, REALLY wish I could challenge these people in-person to name 10 other ILB in the league. 

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/ILB

There ain't a single damn one of you in this thread that could have told me these starters.

Josey Jewell is the starter for the Broncos right now. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I just get bothered by this thread because half the people wouldn't know good ILB play if they saw it. 

I am willing to bet that everyone would crap their pants excited if we traded for Kiko Alonso.  They see his athleticism and a couple highliht reel plays per year and assume he's amazing. 

Then you actually look at it and Alonso is literally the 11th worst-rated player in the league and Blake Martinez sitting here quietly with the highest grade in the NFC North at ILB. 

https://lombardiave.com/2019/02/18/packers-blake-martinez-pff-grade-nfc-north-linebackers/

But Alonso had 3 interceptions last year, so people literally out there thinking players like Alonso are among the best in the league. 

I really wish I had asked for rankings from people before I posted this.  I guarantee you, people would have rated Alonso at least 10 rankings higher than Martinez. 

I also really, really, REALLY wish I could challenge these people in-person to name 10 other ILB in the league. 

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/ILB

There ain't a single damn one of you in this thread that could have told me these starters.

Josey Jewell is the starter for the Broncos right now. 

Packers fans are obsessed with the position and have been for some time. There's literally like 5-6 guys are who are true difference makers at the position. 

The only real heartburn I have at this moment, is most of our hopes are pinned on Martinez to hold down the fort.  If he somehow can't stay healthy all season long, we're young and thin in that group.  Now, all teams have an area that could be improved, and as others have stated, if we had to have one position group that's thin (behind Martinez), I guess I'd pick ILB, so I'm not overly worried...right up until that dreaded day where Martinez's name shows up somewhere other than the starting lineup.

31 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Top of my head.

Kuechly, Schoebert, Trevathan, R. Smith, E Kendricks, HIghtower, D Jones, Mosely, Ogletree, Wagner.  Leonard.

Now I'm getting pretty thin on these names.  Jaylon Smith.  Sean Lee.  Kwon Alexander.  A Barr count? Jake Ryan!

Not sure how well I did, but those are named guys I can remember.  Eliminate the NFC/former Packers and I'm far less confident.  

Like any other position, everything is fine till you suck. I'm not one to downplay any position. The NFL rarely misses a chance to exploit your weakest link. A great player will make an impact no matter where he lines up. I mean we are talking about the middle of the field. Not saying we have to invest heavily, but then again, I don't think we need to draft a WR #1 every year like some fans think. We will find out soon.

Guards have been tagged as unimportant but our OL suffered after Sitton and Lang, and so did Rodgers, literally.

Kickers are a dime a dozen and an afterthought until you endure the Lions game 2018.

The read option is only a minor annoyance and easy to stop, unless you have Dom Capers running your defense

Edited by cannondale