Do the Packers have the worst ILB corps in the NFL?

FAH1223

We have a better-than-average starting ILB in Blake Martinez, and the other starter got hurt, so they are having to fill that spot with a young, inexperienced guy. This doesn't seem so unusual to me. How many teams have good, experienced backup ILBs? I'm guessing not many. That second ILB is not even on the field much of the time. So I'm not seeing this as a huge concern. 

20 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

Funny reading that statement and thinking about how popular those guys were around these boards during their drafts

because what Martinez is giving us now has been our ceiling on the position for my entire lifetime. Safe tackling machine. There aren't a ton of guys who can do MORE than that at that position. You have to get a freak to get ++ plays from there nowadays. So that means sinking a high draft pick there and Gute/Ted both appear to feel ILB is the easiest thing to replace on this D. Which it is. Saturday we will know who is this years Antonio Morrison.

1 hour ago, boratt said:

Blake is a top 15 ILB in the NFL. That’s half of our starting twosome. If it’s the worst, there are 15 teams that don’t have one as good as our top guy so it’s not the worst by much. 

Our depth is bad. 

Plus, how many ILB per play are there even? 1.5?

So on a total snaps/season having 1 good guy and crap behind him is probably better than 2 ok guys.

• Like 1

9/11 defenders are staying in every down unless being rotated out for air. Clark, Lowry, Smith, Smith, Martinez, Jaire, Amos, Savage, King

You get to pick any two off the bench based on down and distance...

Adams, Lancaster, Keke

Gary, Burks

Tramon, Jackson, Greene

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

9/11 defenders are staying in every down unless being rotated out for air. Clark, Lowry, Smith, Smith, Martinez, Jaire, Amos, Savage, King

Adams, Lancaster, Keke

Gary, Burks

Tramon, Jackson, Greene

That's a good way to look at it. I would add Tony Brown to that group in the secondary. I think he is ahead of Josh Jackson at this point. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Adams, Lancaster, Keke

Gary, Burks

Tramon, Jackson, Greene

Not sure Clark or Lowry are a lock to be in the pressure package. 

33 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Adams, Lancaster, Keke

Gary, Burks

Tramon, Jackson, Greene

Is it a good thing that Martinez is on that list? Wasn't the very purpose of drafting Burks to spell Martinez in dime and even certain nickel situations? 

7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Is it a good thing that Martinez is on that list? Wasn't the very purpose of drafting Burks to spell Martinez in dime and even certain nickel situations? 

Not really, it was to have a second ILB who could cover and not be forced into as many substitution packages. Martinez was always planned on being out there every play.

3 hours ago, spilltray said:

Not really, it was to have a second ILB who could cover and not be forced into as many substitution packages. Martinez was always planned on being out there every play.

Plus, you're looking at a guy who can also help out in run support when necessary. Our run defense has been atrocious as of late.

11 hours ago, Greg C. said:

That's a good way to look at it. I would add Tony Brown to that group in the secondary. I think he is ahead of Josh Jackson at this point. 

He is ahead of Jackson without question. I think Jackson barely makes the 53 and makes it only because he's a 2nd rounder with a ton of upside.