Do the Packers have the worst ILB corps in the NFL?

FAH1223

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Fackrell/Z/Gary/Smith

Martinez

King/Alexander/Tramon/Brown

Amos/Savage

That’s fair. I think they double team Z and then you have Fackrell, Gary, or Smith trying to get home. 

I think Clark has shown enough ability to collapse the pocket that he would command a double team, which then in turn gives Z more 1v1 instead of Fackrell. And if we are about to dump a boatload of money on Clark it better not be in spite of pass rush concerns.

39 minutes ago, Joe said:

Malcolm Smith would be plug-n-play. Better stop-gap than Morrison IMHO.

I looked at him too. Idk if he’s any good. But I strongly feel we will be getting someone who becomes available. So we gotta cheer for quality ILB cuts. No one specific. Just a lot of them so we have options to see if Gute can get one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

That’s fair. I think they double team Z and then you have Fackrell, Gary, or Smith trying to get home. 

I think Clark has shown enough ability to collapse the pocket that he would command a double team, which then in turn gives Z more 1v1 instead of Fackrell. And if we are about to dump a boatload of money on Clark it better not be in spite of pass rush concerns.

Regardless of who's there, they shouldn't be getting doubled. Both guys should be lining up between Guard and Tackle. Tackles fan out to block the edge rushers. You freeze the center by rolling the LBs up, either threatening to blitz or actually blitzing.

Clark may well get some reps there. Lord knows he can bring it and he's a load to stop on a single team, you just generally look for quick twitch, lengthy athletes on those teams.

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Regardless of who's there, they shouldn't be getting doubled. Both guys should be lining up between Guard and Tackle. Tackles fan out to block the edge rushers. You freeze the center by rolling the LBs up, either threatening to blitz or actually blitzing.

Clark may well get some reps there. Lord knows he can bring it and he's a load to stop on a single team, you just generally look for quick twitch, lengthy athletes on those teams.

hence the reason we drafted Gary. I kinda just want to see what our actual defense looks like in base tomorrow night so we have some clue as to what this defense actually will look like going into Week 1.

48 minutes ago, Joe said:

hence the reason we drafted Gary. I kinda just want to see what our actual defense looks like in base tomorrow night so we have some clue as to what this defense actually will look like going into Week 1.

I don't think we will see anything tomorrow night or any past pre-season game that will resemble what we will look like in week one.

No need to tip our hand at all.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Doubt it's going to happen. Last year we played 42 Nickel all preseason and then came out in a 41 Dime against the Bears.

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Doubt it's going to happen. Last year we played 42 Nickel all preseason and then came out in a 41 Dime against the Bears.

Probably won't be much difference if Greene is on the field in place of Burks, just calling him SAF or an ILB. 

3 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

I’m fairness I think Rodgers has some experience 

He's gotten hurt the last 2 seasons. Putting an undrafted kid out there if/when that happens is neglect man.

A veteran QB needs to be acquired now and they need to draft QBs more often. 

2 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

He's gotten hurt the last 2 seasons. Putting an undrafted kid out there if/when that happens is neglect man.

Unless you're willing to pay top dollar for a player you hope never plays or willing to invest a high draft pick, you're not going to have a good backup QB.  Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyrod Taylor both signed for $5.5M/year last offseason.  RG3, Josh McCown, and Trevor Sieman signed for $2M.

5 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

Send Manny out there and have him hurdle his way to the Super Bowl. 
Profit. 

On 8/26/2019 at 8:30 AM, FAH1223 said:

Blake is fine against the run. But Blake isn't covering anyone effectively.

Those no-names that they've signed off the street aren't covering anyone either. 

You must be unaware of his 8th best ILB coverage ranking by PFF after last season.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:09 PM, CWood21 said:

Unless you're willing to pay top dollar for a player you hope never plays or willing to invest a high draft pick, you're not going to have a good backup QB.  Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyrod Taylor both signed for $5.5M/year last offseason.  RG3, Josh McCown, and Trevor Sieman signed for $2M.

I'd also add that sometimes guys like that aren't just thinking about the money. They're looking for a place where they have a realistic chance to compete for a starting job. Which means GB would have to pay an even higher premium than usual above those guys' current salaries to convince them to come here and hold a clipboard. And that's assuming those players wouldn't reject the idea outright. Can't just look at the salary and assume GB could have them for [insert salary]+$1.