University of Tennessee Football Thread

titansNvolsR#1

I suppose it's time to make a football thread for the real UT. Was hoping adam9 would make the move over and create one since his are always much more indepth and he keeps up with recruiting. I'll pretty this post up once I'm at home.

What do we think about week 1? We still ready to dump the Butch? Who is your dream HC if we make a move? Suppose we could start with making Gundy say no again? Bob Stoops or Les Miles? Chip Kelly? Don't think there will be many major programs looking for a HC at the end of this year. A&M, Florida, and Ole Miss off the top of my head are the major possibilities. 

lol Butch isn't going anywhere. Recruiting is going too well, he's likely going to win 9 games this year, a potential 10th with a bowl game.

Butch isn't elite and is never leading us to a national title barring crazy changes, but he's a coach that's just good enough that it's hard to replace him. Bob Stoops retired, if he wanted to keep coaching he would have stayed at Oklahoma. Les Miles is just a different version of Butch Jones. Chip Kelly hates the college game. If he did come here he'd leave as soon as he got another NFL offer.

No one is beating Saban and Meyer, especially not consistently without generational players(See: Newton, Cam and Watson, Deshaun) anyway.

This program remembers how bad it can get with Dooley and Kiffin, it's not going back there. So unless they have a guaranteed, locked up elite coach ready to come in, Butch is staying here, whether we like it or not.

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

lol Butch isn't going anywhere. Recruiting is going too well, he's likely going to win 9 games this year, a potential 10th with a bowl game.

Butch isn't elite and is never leading us to a national title barring crazy changes, but he's a coach that's just good enough that it's hard to replace him. Bob Stoops retired, if he wanted to keep coaching he would have stayed at Oklahoma. Les Miles is just a different version of Butch Jones. Chip Kelly hates the college game. If he did come here he'd leave as soon as he got another NFL offer.

No one is beating Saban and Meyer, especially not consistently without generational players(See: Newton, Cam and Watson, Deshaun) anyway.

This program remembers how bad it can get with Dooley and Kiffin, it's not going back there. So unless they have a guaranteed, locked up elite coach ready to come in, Butch is staying here, whether we like it or not.

I wouldn't say he's guaranteed 9 wins or 10. 

Bob Stoops wouldn't be the first man to retire and return. Les Miles has taken a year off and hopefully seen his offensive woes were his undoing. Chip Kelly, if he came here and then left, likely means he was winning and playing for championships. I'd take that. 

Butch has done a great job of bringing back the talent to Knoxville, but he's gotta start putting it together. Hopefully Dormady can be the man for us and Jennings comes back. Don't see Calloway having that kind of output weekly. Man.... how nice would it be to have a guy with the arm of Dormady with Jennings, Malone, and Calloway?...

Here's my concern.  He is good enough to bring the Vols back to being relevant in the conference.  And he has recruited very well.

But I don't think he is a good enough teacher to really develop these guys.  So the Vols will be stuck in this 8-9 win zone.  Too good to fire him, too bad to win anything important.

Kind of like Mike McCarthy with the Packers(he should have fired Dom Capers so long ago or been fired himself).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived